my lil set up pics :P

mr and mrs

pics of my set up need to get some more vines next door neighbor has a big bamboo plant which they said i can have some of it to use for the lil chammy to climb on :)

nearly there now need to know wheres the best place to buy the calcium and d3 multivitamin powders from ??? please...

Attachments

• DSCF0294.jpg
    DSCF0294.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 260
What do you plan on housing in there? You can ditch the water dish I see in the front left. lllreptile has the powders you need but you can just pick them up (and Im kicking myself as I type this) at your local pet shop, although most don't carry all 3.

the dish was for worms so they dont wiggle about every where ! i was also going to use it to catch the water from my dripper so the floor doesn't get to soaked !

a baby veiled.... its what i intend to move in there

i will check LLL website now thanks :)

hope you dont plan on keeping him in there for to long, he needs to have a screen cage :). but i would imagine a baby would be fine until he's around 3-4 months.

hope you dont plan on keeping him in there for to long, he needs to have a screen cage :). but i would imagine a baby would be fine until he's around 3-4 months.

it has full mesh at the top for ventilation and my day/night temp/humidity seem perfect so dont see why he/she will need full mesh also this is a temp enclosure as am making a larger one for it , i have made enclosure for my previous reptiles before so im a dab hand at it :)

Ok-you are in the UK-that explains alot. If that is an 18X18X18(inches-sorry) Exoterra-it will certainly not last very long for a Veiled of any kind. They need more vertical height then that cage provides. I would also remove the substrate.

I would ditch the dirt substrate if you were putting a veiled in there can get into its eyes. That rock dish thing I would get rid of. And it is a bit to small for a male veiled.

what substrate would you use ? the stuff im using is eco earth (made by zoo-med) they had it at the pet centre and the staff there used it personal for there veiled plus the ones they had in the store , its a 24x18x18 .....

Ok-you are in the UK-that explains alot. If that is an 18X18X18(inches-sorry) Exoterra-it will certainly not last very long for a Veiled of any kind. They need more vertical height then that cage provides. I would also remove the substrate.

"OK-you are in the uk-that explains alot" LOL is that a dig at the english LOL

No, I believe Juli was acknowledging that many people in the UK and the rest of Europe use glass enclosures.

I think it's fine. You do need more branches in there, but you have already said you are adding some.
Your chameleon will appreciate a little more height once it reaches adult size.
For a veiled chameleon the enclosure height should be about 3 times the length of the animal.
Average length (tip to tip) of a male is 18 inches.

-Brad

I know where Surrey is. I went to UK for training in Chertsey.

I think I passed Surrey on the train to Waterloo...

Sorry for the hijack...

LOL! Absolutely not! It explains the glass cage! :)

ha ha i see, yes unlucky for us the uk is colder then sunny Florida !
hence the glass, keeps in the warmth :)
i know of people who have used wood+glass enclosures over here for chammies and were loving it, i plan on building a mesh/part mesh enclosure in very near future (4-8 weeks time) it will be mainly mesh then tested to see if i can get the temps and humidity right if not i will have to add piece of glass or 2 ...

I am also in the UK and I don't use any substrate at all. I have selaed an offcut of vinyl flooring into the bottom of both my vivs using aquarium sealant. It looks really good and is easy to clean! :D There is always a risk of the cham shooting his/her food and accidentally eating part of the substrate, and this may cause impaction if the piece is large enough to cause a blockage.

No, I believe Juli was acknowledging that many people in the UK and the rest of Europe use glass enclosures.

I think it's fine. You do need more branches in there, but you have already said you are adding some.
Your chameleon will appreciate a little more height once it reaches adult size.
For a veiled chameleon the enclosure height should be about 3 times the length of the animal.
Average length (tip to tip) of a male is 18 inches.

-Brad

i am going to build a floor to ceiling hight enclosure 72" ish....

First off, I want to say how I think its hilarious that people (mostly Americans) act like the UK and Europe in general is on a different planet when it comes to chameleon keeping.

Second, I don't see why you couldn't keep a veiled in there for a good first bit of the time. I know people who raise their veileds in tubs (not much vertical space) until they are a good 5 or 6 months old.(with 5-10 siblings in tubs no wider or taller than the enclosure you plan for ONE animal.)

Lets get this out there too. YOU CAN USE GLASS ENCLOSURES!! Someone mentioned earlier in this post that you could keep a baby in a glass enclosure, but an adult needs a screen cage. I would like to know why that is. Do chameleons start hating glass at the age of 4 months? Or do they not need good ventilation till they are 4-5 months old?

Yes, glass enclosures can have ventilation issues, BUT so can a screen cage. Hell if you don't get fresh air into your room to start off with then you have failed with your screen cages. I think some people need to get over themselves and start fixing their own problems with their husbandry before they decide to contribute.

To sum this all up I just want to say I think you are doing a good job. I would remove the substrate myself and use paper towels, or I would plant the bottom of the enclosure but that is a whole other bag of worms. One other thing to be careful of is temps, just monitor them closely, if it gets too hot lower your wattage of bulb and/or move it further away from your basking spot.

See ya,

Todd

Ps. If I have learned one thing from about chameleon forums it is that you need to be careful of what advise you listen to. There are a lot of people that continuously repeat misinformation. Stick with what successful keepers tell you.

Back
Top Bottom