My Latest/New Project

Eggs!!

This one is for Kent......

Gretyl laid her first 2 eggs!! Actually, she "pooped" one of them out yesterday (in was among her poo) and I found the other one was just laying there early this morning. She has been digging a series of nesting tunnels the last couple of days and I believe she may have deposited the rest of them in an "underground compartment". That will be tonight's chore. These eggs are massive (a far cry from cham eggs). They are 3.5 - 4 inches long and weigh at least a pound each (I'm guessing at the weight but they are heavy!).

Pics to come soon.

Those two (and their home) are quite impressive. Those claws look like they could do some damage!

The Home Despot sells small submersible type sump pumps that might work well for your water changes.

What on god's earth do these creatures eat!? They are so cool! I give you credit because I don't think I could handle them. They are huge!

Wow! Big congrats! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a successful incubation! By the way, that blue tree monitor I sent you pictures of is now residing happily at Sea World.

Wow! Big congrats! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a successful incubation! By the way, that blue tree monitor I sent you pictures of is now residing happily at Sea World.

Thanks!! I have been corresponding with Gretyl's breeder about incubation, etc. and it looks like I'm finally going to have to break down and get either a wine cooler/refrigerator or something of that nature (I had already been discussing that with Luis for some other projects of mine anyway) this weekend. The eggs need to incubate at 85 degrees! That's certainly warmer than what I can give them by putting them in the pantry even upstairs (all of my cham eggs incubate in the pantry upstairs (panther, trans. veileds, some geckos, etc.) or in a closet downstairs for the ones that require cooler temps).

That's great news about that blue tree! That way many people will be able to see his beauty! I would loved to have picked him up but that was just a tad (a lot) out of my price range. I was this close to coming home from Daytona with a couple baby green trees. Had I sold more, then I certainly would have. But I talked to the guy who had them and will be corresponding with him. He has CB baby blues, greens and yellows coming in every so often from his facility in Indonesia.

Again, this is for Kent:

Another clutch of eggs is fast approaching. She is FAT!! She started digging yesterday, so I'm sure she will be laying her first clutch for 2011 sometime shortly.

Gretyl.1.jpg

Gretyl.2.jpg

Gretyl.3.jpg

How is the first clutch doing? How long is their incubation? Has she laid eggs yet?

LPR08

How is the first clutch doing? How long is their incubation? Has she laid eggs yet?

LPR08

Yes, she laid a couple clutches in late summer and in the fall. They go through something similar to dragons in the winter wherein their bodies slow down, so they are just now getting back to "normal". The first two clutches didn't make it and I'm assuming I didn't have the incubation medium just right and my temps may have been a little off since I generally don't use an incubator for my cham eggs so I didn't use one for these. The medium is hard to do from my understanding and it's either too wet or too dry, but once you have it right, you have it right. Some of the eggs didn't make it since I didn't catch them in time because she didn't lay them all together. The eggs take about 200 days in the low 80's. This time around, I'm going to fudge with the incubation medium a tad and break out the incubator and see what happens. :rolleyes::D

Back
Top Bottom