My Jackson pair mated!! Looking for any advice.

My female is finally old enough for mating, and it was successful on my first attempt.

Question: should I reintroduce the male into her enclosure again to make sure she gets pregnant ? If so how often? I basically connected the 2 free range areas with a log so he could have access.

See below video for the entire mating session

He sat on her face at first and I was a little worried, but he figured it out eventually LOL

Attachments

• yoshinov.jpg
    yoshinov.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 112
Congratulations!

When I bred my xanths, I would introduce the male several times over the following days. When she is not receptive to the male, you will know. Some breeders opt to leave them together after copulation until the female show unreceptive behaviors. I just personally liked to separate them.

You have about 7-10 months before you see the babies, but at around month 6, I would start prepping melanogaster cultures. They go through a ton of them very fast. So the more the better. Just stagger out the production of the cultures so that they peek at various times. This will just help you ensure that you don't have any waste.

My personal experience, raise the babies in separate cages. They are notorious for reaching month 3-4 and dropping like flies. The only way I was truly successful with them was raising the brood in natural sunshine. Not saying it can't be done indoors, I just feel it is a finagled dance with supplements and lighting.

Back
Top Bottom