My Ivy and Hammy Babies Two Weeks Old 3/22/20

I use paper towels in the bottom of the baby bins. You can keep two in the same bin till 4 to 6 weeks old depending on how rowdy they are. Then they will each need their own small cage. I do two to three mistings a day, wetting everything. Where do you live? If it’s hot weather then I wouldn’t give them direct sunlight. I take mine outside and sit with them in the shade for 30 minutes to an hour everyday. It’s in the low 80’s here.
JannB - Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. I live in Honolulu HI so it's relatively humid and warm most of the time. It's probably similar to where you live. I had one hatchling a year ago and it died after the third week. My wife and I finally got more confident and learned a lot and we are ready for a second change, but want to make sure it is done right. One thing we did was put the baby outside with us in direct sunlight, but made sure there was plenty of shade. Maybe direct sunlight was too much for it. It was eating 4-5 dusted pinheads daily, and drank lots of water. One afternoon after we fed it in the am, it was just on the floor of the cage and moving it's mouth from open to close. It didn't turn black at all, when it passed it was a light color, almost all white. Do you have a basking light for your babies even though it's always warm there? T5HO UVB bulb for sure, but just wondered about a basking light. I plan to get a plastic tub, build a structure from wooden dowels, and also put in a live dwarf umbrella plant. In terms of misting, should I use a dripper or just manually mist with a pressurized mister? Thanks again for your help and feedback.

Sweet little Momma Ivy!

View attachment 261529

Handsome Daddy Hammy

View attachment 261533

A few of their babies

BABBIES03222020%20046_zpswr5lthus.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20057_zps7lehooa3.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20127_zpsxbr9f279.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20013_zpsjli8cyqp.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20030_zpsfjnziqsz.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20034_zpsg8z2mptt.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20110_zpsmzzjkbej.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20099_zpsmrcoxuwl.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20090_zpsjmafdzj5.jpg

BABBIES03222020%20061_zpsx1qoivw0.jpg
The kiddos are growing up way too fast Jann . Beautiful pictures as always ❤️.

JannB - Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. I live in Honolulu HI so it's relatively humid and warm most of the time. It's probably similar to where you live. I had one hatchling a year ago and it died after the third week. My wife and I finally got more confident and learned a lot and we are ready for a second change, but want to make sure it is done right. One thing we did was put the baby outside with us in direct sunlight, but made sure there was plenty of shade. Maybe direct sunlight was too much for it. It was eating 4-5 dusted pinheads daily, and drank lots of water. One afternoon after we fed it in the am, it was just on the floor of the cage and moving it's mouth from open to close. It didn't turn black at all, when it passed it was a light color, almost all white. Do you have a basking light for your babies even though it's always warm there? T5HO UVB bulb for sure, but just wondered about a basking light. I plan to get a plastic tub, build a structure from wooden dowels, and also put in a live dwarf umbrella plant. In terms of misting, should I use a dripper or just manually mist with a pressurized mister? Thanks again for your help and feedback.

I’m sorry to hear about your first chameleons. He probably overheated. I do have basking lights with a 15 watt bulb that I use when necessary to keep the temps around 80 to 83. It’s very important that you have a temp gun to keep a close eye on the temps. I don’t use a dripper until they are older. Right now I hand mist 2 to 3 times a day until I get everything in the baby bin wet. It’s important for the bin to dry out between mistings.

You might find my older blog helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

I’m sorry to hear about your first chameleons. He probably overheated. I do have basking lights with a 15 watt bulb that I use when necessary to keep the temps around 80 to 83. It’s very important that you have a temp gun to keep a close eye on the temps. I don’t use a dripper until they are older. Right now I hand mist 2 to 3 times a day until I get everything in the baby bin wet. It’s important for the bin to dry out between mistings.

You might find my older blog helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
Thank you so much!! Few more questions - When you clean the enclosure out, do you remove the entire structure and plants and clean the bin? I don't want to stress out the babies unless necessary and not sure how to clean the enclosure without stressing the babies out. Feeding - do you just put the pinheads in the enclosure and let the babies hunt? Or do you put them in a feeding cup?

Back
Top Bottom