My home made enclosure

summerseeking

Avid Member
Hi All,

This is my first thread! I have been building an enclosure for my future Nosy Faly male/female pair I'm hoping to get next month at Reptilian Nation Expo in Sacramento. I'm super stoked about how it's coming out and I got feedback that I should share it in a thread, so here I am sharing. The enclosure will be bioactive with total measurements of 4' x 5' x 2'. It's divided so each cam will have 2' x 5' x 2' of space. I'm building a mister (its super easy and way cheaper than mistking BTW). I created custom faux rock panels with built-in planters. I also added drainage. I planted it today with hibiscuses, palms, spider plants, and a bunch of other stuff. Tomorrow I'm adding the doors, doing some painting, adding the branches for climbing, and a few other finishing touches. So close to finishing it.

64247462869__EAACF17E-5365-487A-8852-B811B620CB5C.JPG

IMG_7789.JPG

IMG_7790.JPG

IMG_7791.JPG

Hi All,

This is my first thread! I have been building an enclosure for my future Nosy Faly male/female pair I'm hoping to get next month at Reptilian Nation Expo in Sacramento. I'm super stoked about how it's coming out and I got feedback that I should share it in a thread, so here I am sharing. The enclosure will be bioactive with total measurements of 4' x 5' x 2'. It's divided so each cam will have 2' x 5' x 2' of space. I'm building a mister (its super easy and way cheaper than mistking BTW). I created custom faux rock panels with built-in planters. I also added drainage. I planted it today with hibiscuses, palms, spider plants, and a bunch of other stuff. Tomorrow I'm adding the doors, doing some painting, adding the branches for climbing, and a few other finishing touches. So close to finishing it.

View attachment 302035

View attachment 302036

View attachment 302037

View attachment 302038
Honestly I think I would never have nerves for enclosure like this to make.. Anyways you have an A+ from me!

Fantastic job!
Is the hardware cloth pvc coated?
Great question! All the wood and metal surfaces are protected by resin, silicone, and other sealants (with reinforced corners). The hardware I'm using for the door hinges and latches I honestly haven't figured out protection for them from moisture. I'm hoping they don't get very wet because that would mean the floor is also getting wet (based on where they will be located. Hope this answers your question.

Great question! All the wood and metal surfaces are protected by resin, silicone, and other sealants (with reinforced corners). The hardware I'm using for the door hinges and latches I honestly haven't figured out protection for them from moisture. I'm hoping they don't get very wet because that would mean the floor is also getting wet (based on where they will be located. Hope this answers your question.
Can you use all stainless steel hardware?

This is IMPRESSIVE.

Can you use all stainless steel hardware?

This is IMPRESSIVE.
INOX would definitely be the best choice for this, you can use it without any protection. Downside it’s very expensive in regard to regular steel.

Still stainless steel isn’t 100% stainless 🤫. Saltwater i.e. will also corrode this kind of steel, like snow in the sun.

INOX would definitely be the best choice for this, you can use it without any protection. Downside it’s very expensive in regard to regular steel.
TMK, INOX is stainless steel, no?

Still stainless steel isn’t 100% stainless 🤫. Saltwater i.e. will also corrode this kind of steel, like snow in the sun.
Is that relevant to a chameleon enclosure? I think stainless would be fine.

Since it looks like a bioactive enclosure, I take it you mean the floor outside the enclosure.
Some overspray may be inevitable, but careful aiming of the nozzles should take care of most of it.
If that were an issue, I'm surprised you didn't build a hybrid enclosure; that virtually eliminates overspray, and humidity control is significantly easier. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom