My guy hasnt pooped in 3 days

Clayton0520

Avid Member
Hey guys and gals,

So my little guy hasn't pooped in the last 3 days, he has also been hanging around on the lower branches of his cage which he hardly never does. He is still eating like normal though. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, about 7 months old. Been in my care sine he was 3 months old.

• Handling - 4 times in his whole life and that was to move him to another enclosure to clean his.

• Feeding - He is fed every morning about 10 crickets and has a evening snack of 2 or 3 more, I gut load my crickets with Bug Burger, Cricket Crack, and the occasional Squash.

• Supplements - I dust at every feeding with Repashy Calcium Plus

• Watering - I have a Big Dripper drip syatem that is always going, I have a Mist King mister that goes off at 6:30 am for 2 minutes, 10:00 am for 4 minutes, 2:30 pm for 2 minutes, 5:00 pm for 2 1/2 minutes. I have never seen him drink at least not that I was sure that's what he was doing.

• Fecal Description - Last time he pooped it looked as it always has, dark brown with white urates, pretty solid.
  • History - This is the first time he has done this, normally he poopes every day.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen and soild side cage 2'x2'x4' ( Dragon Strand XL breeder series )

• Lighting - Arcadia 12% 48" lamp in a double fixture that also has a 6.5k lamp ( this fixture reaches across 2 cages ) my reading from my Solar Meter 6.5 are around 3.9 at his basking branch.

• Temperature - 73 degrees bottom of his cage 92 degrees top basking branch, lowest temp 70 degrees. Readings taken with a Fluke 62 Max IR Thermometer.

• Humidity - Fluctuates between 60% and 85% through the day. Measured using a Flukers digital hygrometer and a Zoomed analog hygrometer.

• Plants - No live plants
  • Placement - Cage is located in my living room, probably more high traffic than suggested. Top of cage is 7' from floor.

• Location - Dallas Texas

Current Problem
-
My little guy hasn't pooped in 3 days and is hanging around on the lower branches of his cage which isn't normal for him.​
--------------

Has the local weather been hotter or cloudy/rainy during that time? Yes, our chams are indoors under lighting, but the local weather can still affect them somewhat. His growth rate is starting to slack off and that can slow other things down too. I'm sure you already know about hydration. Sometimes a change in routine (a stroll around the house where he hasn't been before, basking session outdoors, session in the shower, being handled more, maybe been shown his reflection in a mirror) stimulates everything. FWIW, I wouldn't be too worried about 3 days, I'd be worried after a week or more.

Good to know!! I took him out today for a little stroll around the house. Hopefully that will stir up something lol. Thanks for the info because I was starting to worry.

Hey there stranger! I am going to put my feed back in red bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, about 7 months old. Been in my care sine he was 3 months old.

• Handling - 4 times in his whole life and that was to move him to another enclosure to clean his.

• Feeding - He is fed every morning about 10 crickets and has a evening snack of 2 or 3 more, I gut load my crickets with Bug Burger, Cricket Crack, and the occasional Squash. Is he still eating?

• Supplements - I dust at every feeding with Repashy Calcium Plus Are you using the LoD

• Watering - I have a Big Dripper drip syatem that is always going, I have a Mist King mister that goes off at 6:30 am for 2 minutes, 10:00 am for 4 minutes, 2:30 pm for 2 minutes, 5:00 pm for 2 1/2 minutes. I have never seen him drink at least not that I was sure that's what he was doing.

• Fecal Description - Last time he pooped it looked as it always has, dark brown with white urates, pretty solid. Have you ever gotten a fecal done. They can pick up parasites from feeders.
  • History - This is the first time he has done this, normally he poopes every day.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen and soild side cage 2'x2'x4' ( Dragon Strand XL breeder series )

• Lighting - Arcadia 12% 48" lamp in a double fixture that also has a 6.5k lamp ( this fixture reaches across 2 cages ) my reading from my Solar Meter 6.5 are around 3.9 at his basking branch. 3-4 range is good. Make sure you are dusting with LoD though because he is getting perfect UVI and should not need much additional D3.

• Temperature - 73 degrees bottom of his cage 92 degrees top basking branch, lowest temp 70 degrees. Readings taken with a Fluke 62 Max IR Thermometer. 92 at basking is too hot for a juvenile. Basking should be more like 82 right now.

• Humidity - Fluctuates between 60% and 85% through the day. Measured using a Flukers digital hygrometer and a Zoomed analog hygrometer.

• Plants - No live plants I thought you were gonna add some lol.
  • Placement - Cage is located in my living room, probably more high traffic than suggested. Top of cage is 7' from floor.

• Location - Dallas Texas
As already stated it could be totally normal. But I would make sure you are using calcium plus LoD so he is not being over supplemented. He may be going potty and your just not finding it. Hanging at the bottom may be due to him being too warm.

@beeman, yes ma’am he is still eating and no ma’am I am not using the LoD but I can definitely switch to that. I’ll definitely move his heat lamp up to cool down his basking temp down. I was gonna get some real plants but im still afraid of them LOL! I guess I need to just make the jump and get some. Thank y’all all for the info I greatly appreciate it! Y’all all ROCK!

@beeman, yes ma’am he is still eating and no ma’am I am not using the LoD but I can definitely switch to that. I’ll definitely move his heat lamp up to cool down his basking temp down. I was gonna get some real plants but im still afraid of them LOL! I guess I need to just make the jump and get some. Thank y’all all for the info I greatly appreciate it! Y’all all ROCK!
LOL stop being afraid of them. Pothos are easy as heck to maintain. You don't do much of anything and they thrive with the lights we use. I would do the LoD since your getting that 3-4 UVI range at basking. I think he is too hot. Also if your house is warming up this will just heat it up even more. So he is moving down to escape the heat.

I'd try to mix in some different feeders. Hornworms are great for hydration and may help ease a b.m out. Also fully support the love plant move ... There's another thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help-me-pick-out-plants.170297/ with great options that work well for chams ... And pothos is the easiest plant ever and adds a great option for climbing and drinking. Mount it high and let it vine out and you've got Chameleon highways

Ok!!! @beeman I’m gonna pull the trigger on some live plants lol you talked me into it also my little guy took a big nice poop today while I was at work. YAY!!! I also moved my heat lamps up so now his basking temp is around a 85 and I ordered some LoD for him as well. Thank you all for the good info! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

Back
Top Bottom