My First Gravid Jackson's Chameleon, not eating, concern?

Montanachams

I've come to the forum for help or some information that may determine if my female needs a vet visit..

Back story.. I ordered a gravid female jacksons cham. From backwater reptiles.. I know now that they are not in good standing with the online reptile world and I shouldn't have ordered from them.. but alas, I have her and now need help determining if she won't eat due to stress aside from being gravid.

She is in a 16" x 16" x 36" reptibreeze
a drip water system, with a bubbling catch basin I change every day or so. She doesn't drink from the basin, just the dripper.
humidity is 50 percent relative with obvious spikes when I mist her.
I mist her 3 or 4 times a day with spring water.
75 watt heat lamp keeps the cage around 80 if we haven't had too hot of day here in town.
18 watt uvb bulb, both operate 12/12

When I first received her, 2 weeks ago, she would eat 2 or 3 crickets a day at most, she now eats 1 if that and hasnt deficated in 2 days. Urea is white and yellow but minimal as well.
the food is dusted daily with calcium sans vitamin D, multi vitamin 1 every 10 days or so, calcium with vitamin D twice a month.

Her room has very little traffic, its a computer/gear room and only sees a visitor when I'm misting her.

Her color varies from normal green, though not often aside from sleep, she is mostly dark coloration.

Not sleeping during the day, slightly lethargic if at all, but still climbs around often.

She is chunky for sure, so definitely (hopefully) gravid.
very calm female and rarely handled, once a week for a couple minute shower. I don't have enough clean water to provide a 30 minute shower.. any suggestions?

Hopefully I've provided enought info. I have a male veiled chameleon I've had since he was months old, petsmart purchase, and he is healthy as all get out. Fecal, behavior, color.. and they are in identical conditions...

I appreciate any help and apologize for any slip ups in the info I provided.. thanks again!

Wesley

So basically..

I have read that the gravid females will stop eating a week to 6 weeks before birth.

I need some comfort, has anyone breed jacksons and did their Gravid female stop eating for weeks?

To the point she can't deficate?

sounds as if there may be something else as an issue with her... I don't have any experience with chams breeding, but I do know that Jackson's don't lay eggs...they do live births...so im not sure if they follow the same pattern as the egg laying ones... the food issue doesn't sound right though.. my female ate on the average of 10-15 crickets a day along with some roaches and super worms... ive never seen yellow in any of my chams urate... may want to get in touch with a good herp vet to get her looked at as soon as you can... if shes only doing 1-2 crickets a day at best and she still looks/feels plump around the belly.. she may want to get her looked at....
hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge will chime in and offer some help as well....

first of all no d3 in her daily calcium, look at the labbel and se if the "calcium sans vitamin D" really dont have D3!

secound
jackson get tired of cricket in about 1-2 weeks, what else are you feeding her? try walking stickes, p niva, flyies and some waxmotts once in a while.

thrid
females stop eating about when they are about to give birth.

what are you gutloading with?

post soem pictures you may have too little vegtation and such.

"with a bubbling catch basin" what is that?

watch this, basicaly everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA&list=PL4HFX9PBYVY2eIWT0v3ZgYSk-r76SEujI

Crickets and (wax, meal, horn) worms are all that is available in my town in Montana. I tried fruit flies too but she ignored them. Maybe I should catch some isopods or something?

Yellow urea is a sign of dehydration, but what could a vet tell me? Should I attempt to force feed a pregnant cham?

Bubbling catch basin I'd a fancy word for a small tuberware dish that catches the excess water from her dripper and has a small aquarium bubbler that keeps it perculating.

Her calcium has no vitamin D in it. Went through that issue with my veiled but he is right as rain.

It's all fake plants, I'll snap some pictures today and put them up.

Thanks for the help guys

I just want to say one thing. Do not force feed her under any circumstances. That will cause a massive amount of stress.

Here she is! Could it be she wants a warmer cage?

Attachments

• 20150708_070012-1.jpg
    20150708_070012-1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 302
Update:

I located some dubai roaches and she consumed 2 with calcium powder on them.

I contacted a vet and she seemed slightly concerned and wanted to give her shots of calcium and something else, I wonder if I should go in still?

Update:

I located some dubai roaches and she consumed 2 with calcium powder on them.

I contacted a vet and she seemed slightly concerned and wanted to give her shots of calcium and something else, I wonder if I should go in still?

Yes. I don't think she is eating enough. Not crazy about her color in the picture, either, although I don't know anything about Jacksons.

Have you looked at the care sheets for Jacksons? I wonder if you are keeping her too hot.

Yes. I don't think she is eating enough. Not crazy about her color in the picture, either, although I don't know anything about Jacksons.

Have you looked at the care sheets for Jacksons? I wonder if you are keeping her too hot.

It was stated in the original post that she was kept identically to the op's veiled which would suggest so. Jackson's are montane and need to be kept cooler than lowlands. Definitely take a look at the care sheets. Also she doesn't look that heavenly gravid in the pic. If she is, it looks like she's still in the early stages and should be eating more.

no do not force feed her, how long has she being pregnad? is the whole ura part eyllow? or just a bit of it?

what are the temperatus in the cage?

remove that bubble thing, it just sounds like a good place for grow bacteria

What vet did you talk to? I know every chameleon vet in Montana. I live in Havre, MT and drive 5 hours or more to see a vet. So I do know who is good.

I will be seeing Dr. Cook at All West vet clinic in bozeman. She hasn't eaten again, but her activity level and hydration are still up.

Not the whole urea, just like an egg with a yolk. Lol

I downgraded her bulb to a 50 watt and the Temps are now between 75 and 80 during the the day as the house warms up.

The doctor advised against shots, as she assumed it could cause the chameleon to go into premature labor.

So I was given two oral supplements.

One liquid calcium and the other a carnivorous diet powder that I mix with water.

Could I get any hints on the best way to approach this? The vet had long finger nails and just sort of opened the chams mouth

Back
Top Bottom