My first female: Vet time or breeding colors?

EvilLost

My first female is right around the time for her first egg laying (she is about 8 months old) and has not been mated as far as I know; however, she is free-ranged with my male so it is possible they mated when I wasn't around.

Anyway, as of the past 2-3 days she has been noticeably darker and I am concerned about her egg-laying status.

She does have some bins but ignores them.

Pic attached.

Thanks !

Attachments

• 2012-06-13_13-58-00_158.jpg
    2012-06-13_13-58-00_158.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 94
If she free ranges with a male then they have probably mated. She does look wide and could be carrying eggs. I'd give her some liquid calcium...it can't hurt.

so her colors look ok for mating colors ? I shouldn't be paranoid that she's sick?

I'm just not used to her being dark all the time, she is usually a really bright pink (ESP when sleeping...but currently she stays kinda dark even when sleeping)....especially since my male escaped a few days ago he hasn't been around, but she's still dark :(

Dark colors can mean that she is carrying eggs but no way to know for sure without an Xray. A vet check up is always a good thing, if she hasn't had one lately I'd take her in just to make sure everything is ok.

she did have one recently which is why I want to avoid going again :p

last time he x-rayed her and eggs were developing, so I'm pretty sure thats what it is, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom