My first Clutch!

wst0209a

Lily just laid her first clutch of 41 eggs!:eek: Here are a few pictures of everything. It was about the 22nd day when she laid her eggs. I put her in a 5 gallon bucket of moist sand and she started digging away. After she was done she came up and didn't look as bad as I thought she was going to be. She didn't look all that dehydrated. I found the eggs about 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. I was so nervous while digging them up. Then I placed them in moist perlite. The temperature is 75F and the humidity is 99% right now. Is that good to keep them at?

Last edited:
I forgot to add. The eggs still have sand on them right now, should I clean them off or it doesn't matter? I didn't want to mess with them a lot so I didn't do it.

Congratulations...April's first clutch was 41 as well... good luck to you guys..

Congratulations to Lily! Patience to you....it will be a long wait until they hatch!

Re: humidity...I have never measured it in my containers. I originally just tried one way to incubate them and it worked so I just kept on doing the same thing. My containers always have beads of moisture on the (inside) sides of the container and usually some on the lid too....and everything works okay. I've never used perlite...so it might be somewhat different than vermiculite in the way that it needs to be to work....so hopefully someone who uses perlite will tell you.

I am also keeping them in the closet where it is dark. Is that ok or should I give them a little sunlight?

Yeah...so I've always wondered about chams hatching in the wild. They really are capable of digging themselves out of a foot of dirt? Right after hatching? I would assume that the survival rate isn't nearly as high as it is in a controlled environment...but still, it seems like such an impossible task for them! :)

It's possible that the rough earth does not allow them to dig so deep in the wild, so much as dig down a bit beside the base of a plant- rather than some of our more idealistic laying setups. However, because the eggs are not divided or spaced out like they are in an incubator bin, they are group together, one egg hatching, triggers the rest to hatch, and so there is a combined digging effort to escape the prenatal burial tomb... But- beyond this there is little conclusive research done on the subject and some species are still being discovered using new very odd laying methods. there was a recent article posted about how one species of South African (I think) chameleons lays their eggs in a plant higher int he trees, between the leaf gaps where dead leaves have collected.

I took a small felt tipped pen and made a small line "mark" on top of my eggs, if something were to happen and they rolled over i could put them back the way they were laying, i got that tip a while ago dont know if it works or whatever but it makes sense...

Back
Top Bottom