My eggs are not hatching???

chamy

Hi everyone! I have a couple of question. I'm getting very impatiant because my veiled chameleon eggs still have not hatched. Its be a little over 10 months and they look orangeish/yellowish in color (I'll attatch pictures). Does anyone know why they look this way and are not hatching?

They are in a small plastic container in vermiculite inside a shoe box and have been kept on top of my dresser (room temperature between 75-80). I keep them moist by misting around them with a spray bottle.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks
Lydia

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,479
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 3,544
I'm afraid those don't look very good.
They should be plump and white as snow.
I think they have either gone bad, or were never fertile in the first place.
Sorry to tell you this.
Is this your female's first clutch?
Do you also own the male?

-Brad

I'm afraid those don't look very good.
They should be plump and white as snow.
I think they have either gone bad, or were never fertile in the first place.
Sorry to tell you this.
Is this your female's first clutch?
Do you also own the male?

-Brad

Yes, this was the female's first clutch, and yes I own the male. I had a feeling they were all bad I knew they didn't look right :(

Again, I'm sorry.
It's so disappointing ... especially because we wait so long with chameleon eggs.
Try again!

-Brad

I wouldn't toss them. I have had eggs that look like that hatch. Until eggs actually collapse and rot, I keep them. Usually, infertile eggs will collapse long before 10 months have gone by. If it is any reassurance, I had a perfectly healthy clutch of veileds hatch a couple weeks ago that incubated for 10 months.

Heika

I wouldn't toss them. I have had eggs that look like that hatch. Until eggs actually collapse and rot, I keep them. Usually, infertile eggs will collapse long before 10 months have gone by. If it is any reassurance, I had a perfectly healthy clutch of veileds hatch a couple weeks ago that incubated for 10 months.

Heika

You know I put a light up to one of the eggs and there are red veins in it, but I don't see a baby chameleon shouldn't I be able to see something formed by 10 months? I did open one that collapsed and there were two little black eyes and nothing else. I don't think they are forming. In your opinion how long should I wait until I toss them?

Next time you incubate eggs make shure the actual container(that has the eggs) has a lid...or did you have one? It makes it easier to maintain humidity.

I had eggs that turned out that way due to too much moisture in the container... the eggs absorbed the moister and the eggs got rubbery looking and the chams could not hatch through the shell..... after a couple molded i took on out and cut it open to find fully developed veiled inside..... i think the basically drowned...but that is just how mine looked.... when they start to hatch they will get cloudy like that and window, where they clear up and you can almost see inside them.. I think the window of opportunity has past, but i would keep them anyways, I have 5 eggs from 2 clutches ago I am still waiting on , I have read before that someone had a clutch for 2 years and they hatched finally... may be urban legend or myth I haven't seen anything like that before... hope it works out for you.

If you had 2 black dots in the egg, those eggs are fertile. The two black dots were the eyes of the cham. And, if there are veins in there, then there is a cham in there. Quit messing with them.. you may still get a hatch if you snap lids on those containers. Humidity is normally pretty low in my area, so the lids I have on my eggs have one single small hole (about the diameter of a sucker stick) in the middle of the lid. You need some air exchange, but not a whole lot.

Good luck.

If you had 2 black dots in the egg, those eggs are fertile. The two black dots were the eyes of the cham. And, if there are veins in there, then there is a cham in there. Quit messing with them.. you may still get a hatch if you snap lids on those containers. Humidity is normally pretty low in my area, so the lids I have on my eggs have one single small hole (about the diameter of a sucker stick) in the middle of the lid. You need some air exchange, but not a whole lot.

Good luck.

I'm in Northern California so do you think one single hole is good enough? And yes there are veins and another one that I opened actually had a tiny body attatched to the black dots but all the yolk stuff was hard (the egg was hard) thats the reason I opened the egg up. Okay, I'm going to put lids on them, how much longer do you think it will take for them to hatch once I put lids on?

Last edited:
yeah...I had one single hole in the middle of the lid. Make shure its not huge (smaller then the width of a pen). The reason having a lid is better is because you dont have to spray the vermiculite as frequently...sometimes not at all. My veileds hatched at about 7 months... all hatched but 2 that hatched later one at 9 and the last at about 10. If you feel the vermiculite isnt moist enough dont mist the eggs just the substrate.

one more thing...even once you put a lid on the eggs I would keep them in the shoe box as they need to be kept in a dark place.

Brian

And be sure that if you are moving them around at ALL that you don't turn them. If you do, whatever is growing in there is definitely doomed.

Now that I have lids on them how much longer until they hatch, its already been 10 months..

Okay, I put the lid on the containers two days ago and I peaked at them today and some are bigger, like they grew. Is this normal???

Well it means something is happening, I would say a good thing! I haven't bred yet, but the eggs getting bigger usually means there is something growing in there....I hope I'm right!!

Back
Top Bottom