My crickets dont live long after purchase

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by nighttowl, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

1. nighttowl

nighttowl New Member

#1 nighttowl, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM
  2. Probably not enough ventilation. They need alot. And those containers dont have enough. I went threw same problem until i made one from tote and gave them a heat source. And do the paper towl thin for water works better. And i make my own gutload. You can YouTube be how to do it all. And now my crickets last alot longer.

3. absolutbill

absolutbill Chameleon Enthusiast

Also, do the crickets have something to crawl on, like a paper towel roll, or a cardboard egg crate? They can crush each other by walking on each other constantly. Also give the crickets some fresh veggies and you won't have to bother with the cricket quencher - it's garbage anyway.

RobTheChameleonLover likes this.
  4. nighttowl

nighttowl New Member

thanks for the replies - Ill try them out.

5. Yeah forgot got the cardboard and stuff. And yeah that stuff is garbage

6. insectovore

insectovore Member

Anytime I've had crickets die off it's been related to too much moisture and not enough ventilation. Make sure the top of the cricket holder is screen ventilated and don't let excess moisture build up. They need access to moisture through wet food, crystals, or paper towel in a bowl of water, but they need the rest of the area to be dry. Any moisture source should be changed often and bowls kept clean. Clean the bin between rounds of crickets and make sure they have plenty of cardboard egg crates/paper towel tubes to hide in and you should have very few deaths if you're getting healthy crix