My Crickets are too big! Help?!

SourNeonWorms

I'm caring for my little brothers month old veiled. They were out of pinhead crickets at the store today so i bought the "small" crickets. I don't want to feed him anything bigger than the span of his eyes right?
Can I cut the crickets in half and feed him? I know the lack of movement could be a problem for some, but he regularly eats out of our hands.
Thank you for any help I get!
:confused::confused::confused:

You can try, just try to create movement with your fingers to give it the appearance of life. Do you have access to any other type of small feeders?

No, I'm really not sure what other feeders to use. We have super worms but I remember reading those should be used as a rare treat for adults but not given to babies.
Any other suggestions for what other small feeders to use?
DaVinci (the veiled) is four weeks tomorrow.

No, I'm really not sure what other feeders to use. We have super worms but I remember reading those should be used as a rare treat for adults but not given to babies.
Any other suggestions for what other small feeders to use?
DaVinci (the veiled) is four weeks tomorrow.

No superworms are going to be too big, you can use fruit flys, small silk worms, or small phoenix worms.

It depends on the size of the superworms. All superworms are not super sized until they're full grown.

I feed my Panther Chameleons superworms 50% of the time and have never had an issue. Some folks say that you should only give them as treats, but my experience has proven that they can eat lots of superworms and be very healthy. Just make sure the superworms are gut loaded with moisture. Throw in a slice of apple with them. They love apples. The chameleons also get moisture from eating the worms and it makes them easier to digest.

It depends on the size of the superworms. All superworms are not super sized until they're full grown.

I feed my Panther Chameleons superworms 50% of the time and have never had an issue. Some folks say that you should only give them as treats, but my experience has proven that they can eat lots of superworms and be very healthy. Just make sure the superworms are gut loaded with moisture. Throw in a slice of apple with them. They love apples. The chameleons also get moisture from eating the worms and it makes them easier to digest.

His chameleon is 1 month old and he is referring to superworms bought from your local pet store, so that's why I suggested they would be too big.

small food

You buy small roaches, superworms the size of small mealworms, small hornedworms and silkworms, catch some regular flies (put in fridge for 20 seconds first). look for the better mom & pop pet store. they usually store everything.

When crickets are young they are fairly soft bodied so it's likely okay for the chameleon to eat them even though they are slightly bigger than they should be as long as he is able to get them down easily.

I would say they should be fine. The guide about the eye width is only a rough guide. It corresponds to the width of the feeder not length. As said they are soft bodied and he will chew.

I see the little anoles in my yard eat crickets as big as their heads!!! They jump out of the cup when I am going to put them in my cages and they come running and snatch them up! I think the width of the between the eyes thing is a little over rated. What about how big hornworms and silkworms get? They are way bigger than the width of the eye space. I have always wondered about that!

I see the little anoles in my yard eat crickets as big as their heads!!! They jump out of the cup when I am going to put them in my cages and they come running and snatch them up! I think the width of the between the eyes thing is a little over rated. What about how big hornworms and silkworms get? They are way bigger than the width of the eye space. I have always wondered about that!

I don't get it either.

I think you're fine feeding the crickets you got

I don't get it either.

I think you're fine feeding the crickets you got

Thank you! What about Veild chameleons swallowing pinkie mice whole!? Not something I do, but just what I have read about. I remember when I got my chameleon at about 2 1/2 months old...so tiny and I put a silk worm in there that I thought might be too big. Well, he went right up and snatched it with no problem!!

His chameleon is 1 month old and he is referring to superworms bought from your local pet store, so that's why I suggested they would be too big.

Cool cool. Like I said, depends on the worm. I've seen some very small ones at Petco that could be consumed by a 1 month old Cham easily. So I guess it depends on the pet store too.

Cool cool. Like I said, depends on the worm. I've seen some very small ones at Petco that could be consumed by a 1 month old Cham easily. So I guess it depends on the pet store too.

Yea all the ones I have seen at all of our pet store are full grown.

Back
Top Bottom