My Christmas Gift Has Come Early

nicolie85

On Saturday, my boyfriend bought me a sweet little veiled female. I beleive I have her in the proper setup, but just to make sure:

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 38 gallon Reptarium on top of a table, which lifts the cage about 3 feet off the ground. This used to be my male veiled cage and it should last my little lady quite a few months before she really grows. I plan to upgrade her to the same setup as my male when she is large enough to (his cage is 2' x 2' x 5').
* Lighting - An 18" ReptiSun 5.0 linear bulb kept right on top of the cage and a 75 watt regular house bulb about 12" from the highest basking spot. All of our critters have their lights on at 7:00 a.m. and go off between 7:00 - 7:30 p.m..
* Temperature - I bought everything for my new arrival except a temperature gauge (bad I know, but I will be getting one asap and I've been looking to buy one of those point and shoot ones) My best guess for temps in her cage is about 75-80 degrees under her basking spot.
* Humidity - All of my cages are misted well each morning at about 7:30 a.m. and later in the day by my boyfriend at about 4:00 p.m.. The gauge I plan to buy soon will give me the correct levels. Also, I am using a tall plastic container with a sponge on top of it to collect the water from my Little Dripper (the sponge is used to keep both crickets and my little girl from drowning). I am sure that this is adding to and helping to maintain humidity.
* Plants - I bought a small ficus plant, which was cut down to fit the entire cage. It fills up a lot of space and has plenty of cover to make her feel secure. I also added fake vines mixed into the ficus branches for added climbing.
* Location - Our apartment is very small and we have our entertainment center in the middle of our living room wall. Her cage is setup on one side of the entertainment center and my male veiled is on the other side. This way, they don't even know that each other exists.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - A female veiled approximately 2 months old and she has been in my care for less than 2 days.
* Handling - I try to keep the handling to a minimum and only held her on the trip to my apartment from the pet store.
* Feeding - I have been feeding her approximately 1/4" crickets and I put about 10 crickets into her feeding cup. The crickets are gut-loaded with whatever I am feeding my iguana that day (i.e. collard greens, mustard greens, papaya, parsnip, butternut squash, snap peas, etc.) I am still not sure exactly how many crickets I should be feeding her per day at 2 months old?
* Supplements - I wanted to ask the forum about a supplement schedule for a 2 month old veiled. So far, I have not dusted her crickets because I am afraid of an overdose (had her for less than 2 days and I want everything to be perfect). I have RepCal w/D3, RepCal w/o D3, Minerall O and RepCal Herptivite
* Watering - Her cage is misted twice daily. A Little Dripper is going until it runs out in the morning and my boyfriend will refill it when he gets home in the afternoons. We use a pressurized gardening mister to give our hands a little break.
* Fecal Description - Haven't looked for poop yet and I will when I get home tonight. I will have her fecal tested in February when I take my iguana in for a checkup (I'll hit two birds with one stone this way).
* History - She came from a local pet shop and I don't know her history.
* Current Problem - No problems as of now (fingers crossed). She looks like a healthy and alert baby veiled.

My main concern for her right now if having a proper supplement schedule. I would post some pictures, but I have to wait until I can borrow my mom's camera. So, pictures to come soon then. Any thought?

Lightly dust with plain calcium just about every day. Cal. with D3 two times a month and your other 2 vits. once a month each.

I read a post recently, where someone linked a chart showing how much of each supplement to give as the chameleon grows (i.e. 0 months - adulthood). I don't remember where this post was located in the forums and searching under the word "supplement" will yield way too many results. If anyone remembers this link I would very much appreciate it. At the time, I didn't know I would be receiving a baby and didn't know I would need the information.

Also, at 2 months, how many crickets should I be feeding her per day?

I read a post recently, where someone linked a chart showing how much of each supplement to give as the chameleon grows (i.e. 0 months - adulthood). I don't remember where this post was located in the forums and searching under the word "supplement" will yield way too many results. If anyone remembers this link I would very much appreciate it. At the time, I didn't know I would be receiving a baby and didn't know I would need the information.

Also, at 2 months, how many crickets should I be feeding her per day?

At 2 month give as many appropriate size crickets as she wants. The cricket size should be no larger than the space between her eyes. Congratulations on your new little girl! Jann

That link was exactly what I was looking for :D Thanks so much Gesang. I am so excited to have a little girl to go with my handsome male. Isn't it funny how we buy a female for a our males in hopes of mating them in the future? It seems kinda like an arranged marriage. I'm still not sure if I will try to breed them in the future, but if I feel that I am 100% ready for the task then I will.

That link was exactly what I was looking for :D Thanks so much Gesang. I am so excited to have a little girl to go with my handsome male. Isn't it funny how we buy a female for a our males in hopes of mating them in the future? It seems kinda like an arranged marriage. I'm still not sure if I will try to breed them in the future, but if I feel that I am 100% ready for the task then I will.

Check of this thread before breeding:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-18467/

Back
Top Bottom