My chams won't eat the roaches

MNChams

I just started a new colony of dubia roaches with plans to convert the feed from crickets to the dubia's. I have two panther chams, one is only 3 months old and the other is 4 months but much larger then the other. I've been trying to feed them small and midsize baby roaches but they are completely uninterested. They will go two days without eating if I leave only the roaches in their cups. But when I add a cricket, they waste no time at all, they love the crickets. Neither cham has agreed to eat even one single roach so far. Are the chams just too young or what's the problem?

They can be tricky to get eating roaches! I used a cupfeeding method with mine and began by offering smaller, freshly moulted ones (white/creamy). Once they show intrest in those, you can leave a few more in the cup. Moulted roaches darken within 24-36hrs
so you have some white going to dark in the cup most times. They get used to the darker ones and eventually you dont need to sort fresh moults.
:)

wow...I've seen those white ones in the colony but I never even thought to try that. Great idea! I knew there was a trick to this...perfect example of how this forum can help people find answers that they wouldn't find anywhere else. Thank u

wow...I've seen those white ones in the colony but I never even thought to try that. Great idea! I knew there was a trick to this...perfect example of how this forum can help people find answers that they wouldn't find anywhere else. Thank u

I also knew there was a way. Mine have also been difficult. This might just work. Thanks, Jo

this is the problem i have with my cham. eating super worms! he ignores them even when they hang from the ceiling of the cage! he eats everything else, yesterday i fed him for the first time 3 dragonflies and he ate all three just like tht!

My chams get bored of crickets. They love everything else. They love superworms and they'll eat anything that flies. I try not to feed so many worms as they cost more and everyone says they are fatty, but they love them. I haven't tried roaches yet because people want too much money for them. I just hope they can climb on the screened cages as that is when my chams like to get their prey.

i tricked my chameleon into superworms so he would try one i held a cricket in one hand and a super in another close together and when his tongue flew out i moved positions of the two so he would end up catching the super and he did and now he likes them :) but before like you all said he was only interested in crickets

My chams get bored of crickets. They love everything else. They love superworms and they'll eat anything that flies. I try not to feed so many worms as they cost more and everyone says they are fatty, but they love them. I haven't tried roaches yet because people want too much money for them. I just hope they can climb on the screened cages as that is when my chams like to get their prey.

Dubia's do climb on the cage screens. They can't climb up any slick surfaces but they are all over the place inside my chams cage.

The dubias don't tend to move in the feeding cups, so Chams show little interest. I have had better success by pinching the roach by the abdomen and squeezing so it begins to wave its legs. I will do this with the roach rested across a branch or wood dowel. The other method is to place the roach below the cham on the screen and push and guide him to crawl up toward the cham. This results in strikes as well.:D

Nick

Change it up

YOu shouldnt be feeding only one or two types of food they thrive on variety. We have not used crickets or mealworms for any reptiles in over 6 years. Try hornworms or green banana roaches to get a finicky animal eating.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

I was looking at hornworms, might try those but they are a little pricey from my local vendor. What about phoenix worms? I heard they are very healthy, high protien / calcium and low fat. I ordered 150 small ones that will be here soon. Anyone got an opinion on phoenix worms? Maybe that would stimulate him to eat.

Phoenix worms are typically only about 1/4 inch long, so for smaller chams not a bad option. They do move, but not enough to elicit strikes in some Chams.

Butter worms are another feeder for variety, and they will crawl on the screen once they are warmed up from the refrigerator, making them more appealing to the Cham.

The best stimulus for eating is letting the Cham go hungry for several days, that breaks most hunger strikes.

Nick

Phoenix worms are typically only about 1/4 inch long, so for smaller chams not a bad option. They do move, but not enough to elicit strikes in some Chams.

Butter worms are another feeder for variety, and they will crawl on the screen once they are warmed up from the refrigerator, making them more appealing to the Cham.

The best stimulus for eating is letting the Cham go hungry for several days, that breaks most hunger strikes.

Nick

Can I let a 3 month old baby go hungry for several days? As a baby, I'm concerned when he goes even 1-2 days without eating. I know adults can go much longer with no harm but babies need good daily feedings from what I understand. A new problem has developed since I started this thread, he now is on a strike from crickets. The only thing he's willing to eat is fruit flies. I still haven't got him to try a roach yet either. This guy is being a tuff little bugger. My other cham is 4 months and he's eating much better then this little guy. Not sure what his problem is but neither of them like eating from their cups and usually ignore them and only go for the ones that sneak out of the cup.

this is the problem i have with my cham. eating super worms! he ignores them even when they hang from the ceiling of the cage! he eats everything else, yesterday i fed him for the first time 3 dragonflies and he ate all three just like tht!

Leave the supers in and starve him a few days- he'll eventually eat them- thats how i got mine on crickets when he was younger :)

part of the problem might be your roach food , try feeding your roaches the same gutload as your crickets . also you would need to use it on a platform or the floor of your cage but somebody makes a vibrating feeder dish (i think its zoo med anyway fosters and smith has it) that just might keep dubia on the move, ive never tried it because most of my chams readily eat dubia but i dont think dubia would sit still in it

Back
Top Bottom