My Chams Tongue isn't fully extending.

My chameleon this mourning when I offered him food got ready to shoot out his tongue like always but it did not come out all the way. It came from his mouth maybe 1 inch. This surprised me because usually he shoots out a good 9-10 inches of tongue, so I let him try again and he still could not get to my bug. I moved the bug closer and he got it, but he still refuses to shoot out his entire tongue. Any ideas to what his problem is? Please comment on ideas of what is happening and possibly how to fix it.

is it possible they could have injured/strained it recently?

Good that you're being proactive and scheduling the vet appointment already.

Its either an injury or A D3 issue. If it worked fine, and then the next day its like a beardy tongue, its an injury. D3 or other supplement issues start out as misses at full extension.
Ok yes, it did start happening randomly and I think you are right. Yesterday we took him out of his cage and on the door are these knobs and I guess he thought it was a bug so he tried to get it with his tongue, obviously, his tongue got stuck and his mouth pulled towards the knob. He quickly let go and I thought he was fine but that would make sense.
But if this is the case, is it treatable, is there a way to fix it?
Thanks.

Ok yes, it did start happening randomly and I think you are right. Yesterday we took him out of his cage and on the door are these knobs and I guess he thought it was a bug so he tried to get it with his tongue, obviously, his tongue got stuck and his mouth pulled towards the knob. He quickly let go and I thought he was fine but that would make sense.
But if this is the case, is it treatable, is there a way to fix it?
Thanks.

Its not really treatable, nor requires a vet visit. Its either going to fix itself, or you have a color changing bearded dragon. Mine decided to also not let go of the feeder+branch, and pulled itself across the tank by its tongue. it did not recover full use of its tongue.

If you have the money for a vet visit you can try it. But meds are not going to help.

What supplements do I use and how often for each? Please be specific...give brand names, etc.
What do you feed the insects specifically?
What UVB light do you use?
What temperatures do you keep the cage at?

Back
Top Bottom