My chams mouth is becoming disfigured

I’ve had my tamatave Arthur for almost a year, and unfortunately he’s had several medical issues. He’s been treated for both burns and respiratory infections. I got his heath under control after altering his husbandry, however he seems to be developing another issue. We took him into a local exotics vet for advice and received no constructive feedback or medications. I give him calcium with d-3 every other Tuesday, regular calcium daily, bee pollen daily, flora and fauna probiotics daily, and multivitamin twice a month. My ambilobe takes the same amount of suppliments but has shown no health issues. Arthur was using a mercury vapor bulb (recommended by vet) when the disfiguration began, so I swapped it out for the usual repti-sun t-5. His basking spot is at 87 degrees according to the temp gun and 90 if he climbs a little higher. I’m very confused and the local vets don’t seem to know much. Has anyone else faced a similar health issue? Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• C082768A-9C56-4C48-AF67-53723B221C5B.jpeg
    C082768A-9C56-4C48-AF67-53723B221C5B.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 7C279798-6A17-4F76-B47C-B733E4C36DB4.jpeg
    7C279798-6A17-4F76-B47C-B733E4C36DB4.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 93171ADC-EA5B-45DE-8080-D77A4CF02444.jpeg
    93171ADC-EA5B-45DE-8080-D77A4CF02444.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 149
pics are a little blurry... I almost wonder if this is not due to the mercury vapor bulb... If he was getting exposed to high levels of UVB it could be a situation where there is a deformation due to cancer from the over exposure. But this would be my best guess from other stuff I have read about over exposure. How long was he under the MV bulb and how close was his basking to it?

I lowered his basking spot with the MV bulb, because it was very hot. He was always about 8 inches away from the bulb itself. I used it for about 3 months, until I decided to switch back to a linear 5.0 bulb. What do you do for a cham if it develops cancer?

I know that this sounds messed up but maybe it will help, his mouth is starting to look a bit like Popeye’s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 91
8 inches is very close for a MV bulb that would be in the over exposure realm of possibility especially if you were using the commonly sold 100 watt ones...

I would follow up with your reptile vet. Looks like it is some sort of either cancer or abscess. Honestly it depends on what it is and what skill level your vet has. If it becomes a situation where he can not eat if you hand feed or will not be able to eat... Well then I believe it comes down to a quality of life situation. :(

But I am not a Vet and can not diagnose for you. This is my best guess based off what you told me about his prior lighting and what I am seeing in the pics along with what I have read in my own research.

8 inches is very close for a MV bulb that would be in the over exposure realm of possibility especially if you were using the commonly sold 100 watt ones...

I would follow up with your reptile vet. Looks like it is some sort of either cancer or abscess. Honestly it depends on what it is and what skill level your vet has. If it becomes a situation where he can not eat if you hand feed or will not be able to eat... Well then I believe it comes down to a quality of life situation. :(

But I am not a Vet and can not diagnose for you. This is my best guess based off what you told me about his prior lighting and what I am seeing in the pics along with what I have read in my own research.

Thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom