My chameleon started acting funky

_kale_//latd_

I have a ~8 mo. old, female, veiled chameleon.
I did a deep clean of her enclosure this afternoon and now she'd trying to get out of her enclosure and is sitting at the very top of it. I clean her enclosure daily, and have done a deep clean and changed up her enclosure plenty of times before. She's also turned kind of grayish, I'm not sure why she's acting strange.
These are the pictures of her enclosure. I'm looking into getting her a bigger one, as well as adding more vegetation, but this is what she has for now.

Does anyone have any advice as to what might be wrong, and what I can do to fix it?

IMG-4679.jpg IMG-4677.jpg IMG-4676.jpg

Hi there! Sadly, her cage is too small and her lights are incorrect, among other noticeable husbandry issues. Could you fill out this form with as much detail as possible and add better pics of your cham please?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female, veiled chameleon, about 8 months old. I've had her about 6 months.
Not often, only if she's interested in coming out of her enclosure (which isn't often).
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
8 mealworms daily, calcium worms, crickets every other day, gut-loading fluckers orange calcium blocks.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Everything is coated in the zoomed repti-calcium.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a dripper, I have an automatic mister that goes off every 6 hours, and I hand mist when it looks too dry. She has water and she has been drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
She hasn't been tested recently, (im taking her to the vet on friday), and her poop looks normal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
16 in x 16 in screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Dual lights, with 60 w blue bulb. They're on 12 hours a day, from 8 am to 8 pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
she has a ceramic heater and a basking spot. The low end is lower 70s the higher end is upper 80s. I have a digital thermometer in the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I mist when humidity is low. I keep the lay bin moist too.
I was but she ate it. I used ivy and removed it today.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
it not near air vents, in the corner of the room, away from where I work. Its about 5.5 feet off the ground.
We're in Texas.

She's sitting at the top of her cage and acting like she wants out, she's also turned kind of gray-ish. I know this means the cage is inadequate, what worries me is that this behavior just started today and happened quickly.
IMG-4681.jpg IMG-4680.jpg

Hi there! Sadly, her cage is too small and her lights are incorrect, among other noticeable husbandry issues. Could you fill out this form with as much detail as possible and add better pics of your cham please?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
Not often, only if she's interested in coming out of her enclosure (which isn't often).
8 mealworms daily, calcium worms, crickets every other day, gut-loading fluckers orange calcium blocks.
Everything is coated in the zoomed repti-calcium.
I use a dripper, I have an automatic mister that goes off every 6 hours, and I hand mist when it looks too dry. She has water and she has been drinking.
She hasn't been tested recently, (im taking her to the vet on friday), and her poop looks normal.

Cage Info:
16 in x 16 in screen cage
Dual lights, with 60 w blue bulb. They're on 12 hours a day, from 8 am to 8 pm.
she has a ceramic heater and a basking spot. The low end is lower 70s the higher end is upper 80s. I have a digital thermometer in the cage.
I mist when humidity is low. I keep the lay bin moist too.
I was but she ate it. I used ivy and removed it today.
it not near air vents, in the corner of the room, away from where I work. Its about 5.5 feet off the ground.
We're in Texas.

She's sitting at the top of her cage and acting like she wants out, she's also turned kind of gray-ish. I know this means the cage is inadequate, what worries me is that this behavior just started today and happened quickly.
IMG-4681.jpg IMG-4680.jpg

Hi, again! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I’ll also post informative and helpful links and care images at the end.

Chameleon Info:
Not often, only if she's interested in coming out of her enclosure (which isn't often). Perfect!
8 mealworms daily, calcium worms, crickets every other day, gut-loading fluckers orange calcium blocks. Mealworms should be used as rare treats only. Her feeding schedule needs to change because she is older and sexually mature now (which is probably why she’s restless, besides her cage husbandry). Do you have a proper lay bin set up? The gutload you use isn’t nutritional, so that needs to be changed, too. Please refer to the links and care images at the end for extra info.
Everything is coated in the zoomed repti-calcium. Is it with or without D3? She needs Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3 on every feeding except for when using the other supplements. Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3 once every two weeks, and Zoo Med Reptivite without D3 once every two weeks. Or you can combine the last two and just use Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 once every two weeks, with the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding besides then.
I use a dripper, I have an automatic mister that goes off every 6 hours, and I hand mist when it looks too dry. She has water and she has been drinking. How long does the mister go off for? What brand is the mister?
She hasn't been tested recently, (im taking her to the vet on friday), and her poop looks normal. Good! Make sure the vet has good, knowledgeable chameleon experience, too! Make sure to bring a fresh fecal sample with you, and drop off at least 2-3+ more after that to make sure no parasites were missed in the first one. Do bloodwork and x-rays, etc, too.

Cage Info:
16 in x 16 in screen cage She needs a minimum cage size of either 36” x 18” x 36” tall or 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall, but preferably 4‘ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger. Bigger is always better! What ever you choose needs a proper and permanent lay bin in it.
Dual lights, with 60 w blue bulb. They're on 12 hours a day, from 8 am to 8 pm. The light schedule is perfect, but both lights need to be replaced ASAP! She needs a T5 High Output linear light fixture (either the length of her cage or a foot longer- same length goes straight across the middle, foot longer goes diagonal across the middle), The linear UVB bulb needs to be a matching size for the fixture and the strength and brand of either a Zoo Med 5.0 (replace every 6 months or sooner) or Arcadia 6% (replace every year or sooner). The linear UVB bulb needs to be around 8-9” away from her basking branch. Either way, invest in a Solarmeter 6.5 to check the UVI levels for yourself. Get a regular household white light incandescent bulb for her heat bulb. You’ll have to play with the wattages to get the correct temp. It should be a minimum of 7” away from where her casque/top of her back is when she is on her basking branch. Reptile heating bulbs are usually more expensive, burn out quicker, and usually focus too much heat in one tight area, causing burns if not careful.
she has a ceramic heater and a basking spot. The low end is lower 70s the higher end is upper 80s. I have a digital thermometer in the cage. Get rid of the ceramic heat emitter ASAP, unless your nighttime temps are lower than 55-60*F. Don’t use for during the day and don’t use at night if you can help it. If you have to use one, get the minimum wattage available! What are your nighttime temps? Chameleons need a temp drop at night. Where her casque/top of her back is should be no hotter than 80*F at its max for basking! Does your thermometer have a probe?
I mist when humidity is low. I keep the lay bin moist too. Humidity levels are crucial! During the day it should be between 30-50% and up to 100% at night. Get at least one digital hygrometer to measure this.
I was but she ate it. I used ivy and removed it today. Veileds need live plants only! Take out and replace all fake plants, fake leaves, and fake vines with leaves (fake vines without leaves are okay) ASAP! They are an impaction risk for veileds. Get rid of the Exo Terra and moss vines ASAP, too! Make sure you properly prepare and clean off beforehand all of the chameleon-safe plants you get to put in her enclosure. Also cover the soil with rocks too big for her to eat! Real plants provide necessary foliage for hiding, drinking, and raising and maintaining humidity levels and more! Her cage needs tons more branches, vines, and live plants, too!
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
We're in Texas. Where? I’m just west of Houston!

View attachment 289473View attachment 289474

Here are the links and images! @Gingero just posted a very informative video about egg laying on her YouTube channel Neptune the Chameleon! Make sure to read through and listen to as much of this information as possible!
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 55
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 55
Do you have a proper lay bin set up?
I have a bucket in her cage, with dirt 12" deep and some cover over it.
Is it with or without D3?
Without.
How long does the mister go off for? What brand is the mister?
15 seconds at a time. Its a Exoterra Monsoon Solo.
What are your nighttime temps?
In winter, it goes into the 30s
Does your thermometer have a probe?
Yes.
Where? I’m just west of Houston!
I'm in between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Thank you so much! This has been the most helpful info I've received so far. This is my first chameleon, so I wanna make sure I'm doing what's best for her.

Do you have a proper lay bin set up?
I have a bucket in her cage, with dirt 12" deep and some cover over it. What are the rest of the bin’s dimensions? What type of dirt?
Is it with or without D3?

Without. Good, use that every feeding and buy and use the Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 once every two weeks as well.
How long does the mister go off for? What brand is the mister?

15 seconds at a time. Its a Exoterra Monsoon Solo. Bump it up to the max of 2 minutes. Make sure to utilize it properly to keep the humidity levels in the correct range. You can get and use a fogger/cool mist or ultrasonic humidifier for at night to help with nighttime humidity levels. Just make sure to properly clean it, it’s tubes, and any other accessories used often and thoroughly! Place the output tube at/near the top of her cage so the fog rolls down if you get one.
What are your nighttime temps?

In winter, it goes into the 30s Is there any way to heat her room instead of just relying on a ceramic heat emitter bulb?
Does your thermometer have a probe?

Yes. Good! Hang the probe to where her casque/top of her back is on her basking branch. It shouldn't go over max 80*F there. Around 78*F is preferred.
Where? I’m just west of Houston!

I'm in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Not close then! 🤣

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom