My chameleon may have MBD?

Are you leaving any light on at night?

For UVB I recommend the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light.
Basking light should be white not colored as well.
For basking I use a regular household incandescent light bulb.
yes. I did leave a bulb on at night? That was what I was told to do? Is that wrong?

Yup...no lights at night and no need for heat unless the temperatures drop generally below 60 as well.
Ah, I see. Thank you and I’m sorry I misunderstood what I was supposed to do. Is there any information you would like? Or pictures ? I am willing to do whatever needs possible to help him. And thank you for all ur help as well it’s very kind of you.

Keeping chameleons is a learning process and here on the forum we hope we can cut out some of the problems and mistakes people are making so they don't end up with health issues and get to enjoy the chameleons as long as possible.if you have any questions, just ask and we will do the best we can to help you. When I started keeping chameleons over 30 years ago, there was virtually no information about them and I learned everything through trial and error and a lot of it was luck!

Keeping chameleons is a learning process and here on the forum we hope we can cut out some of the problems and mistakes people are making so they don't end up with health issues and get to enjoy the chameleons as long as possible.if you have any questions, just ask and we will do the best we can to help you. When I started keeping chameleons over 30 years ago, there was virtually no information about them and I learned everything through trial and error and a lot of it was luck!
Awe thank you so much. I will probably be back with more questions soon ? but thank you really :). I’m more informed than I’ve ever been now :)

So I called the vet and they don’t help chameleons :( is there any way I can get him what he needs? UPDATE: I found one that helps chams and is 2 hours away. I am willing to do the drive. I’m checking reviews and most of them are positive but none of the reviews say much about Chameleons but I called and they said they do. I hope to make an appt. for tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Hope it all goes well.
I got a picture of his enclosure, if you see anything that strikes bad, let me know and I will do anything.
B41336B5-93DD-4C46-8CEB-1EA232CEE5F3.jpeg

I do have a pee pad at the bottom , it’s unscented.

You need more greenery and branches IMHO.
Yeah the greenery is really expensive ? I am working on getting more :) and imho? I’m sorry I don’t know what that means
Also I have an appt for 10:30am :) and i found one in pooled Georgia so I am going there :) the reviews are a lot better as well

IMHO...in my honest/humble opinion.
Good luck at the vets.
So she did blood work and she said there is a POSSIBLE kidney disease. She has given me aluminum hydroxide to help lower his phosphorus levels since they were a Little elevated. I was instructed to get his humidity in the cage up to 80-90% and get him drinking as much water as possible. Which I will probably have to buy a mist system. Here is a picture of everything she said. PLEASEEE read and reply if you believe this vet did the correct actions for mr. moo.
1BFD4F27-B09F-472A-B2E1-282F85AC9480.jpeg

I will receive the rest of the results in a few days. Please if you know anything else that could help my chameleon let me know. And I was instructed to give mr. moo 0.3 mL every 24 hours. Next dose is tomorrow morning at 11

also sorry about the paper, it was a drop off pick up and it was hard to catch the papers when they slid them out through the door. they also showed me how to give him the medicine.

Please remember that I'm not a vet and anything I say is from what I've read and experienced.

No mention of the curve in the left elbow?
No X-rays of the bones?

No mention of giving liquid calcium to help the bones?

Kidney disease can cause problems with D3 and thus MBD and are difficult to reverse.hiwever.

It will be interesting to see what the other blood tests say.

Did the vet say why to soaks he chameleon?

Please remember that I'm not a vet and anything I say is from what I've read and experienced.

No X-rays of the bones?

Kidney disease can cause problems with D3 and thus MBD and are difficult to reverse.hiwever.

She said the soaking gives his skin a little hydration and also gives him a chance to drink if he needs it. She had no mention atm about the rest because we are working one part at a time and she can’t do a lot to him until we figure out what the rest of the results are. She is planning to work with us through this and I’m thankful for all advice not just veterinarians. Ever since giving him his meds he’s been a LOT more active.

do you think I could still help him if I have to wait for the light as I have to buy it online since none in my area is stocked?? It’s cold outside today and not sunny so I’ll try to take him outside tomorrow. He also hasn’t eaten since before the vet visit, I’m going to wait a little longer to be too worried about that though because he did eat the night before we were going to go to the vet. I will continue to update here as I am not the best source, and I thank you for all of your help and advice and I treasure it .

No X-rays of the bones?

Ever since I’ve started giving him his medicine he’s been opening his mouth and now there’s fluid coming from his mouth, it’s sticky like clear fluid and it’s scaring me :( I haven’t given him his medicine yet, please help me so I can help him :(

Ever since I’ve started giving him his medicine he’s been opening his mouth and now there’s fluid coming from his mouth, it’s sticky like clear fluid and it’s scaring me :( I haven’t given him his medicine yet, please help me so I can help him :( it’s not a lot but it’s a little layer around his mouth, and it made a little bubble last night

Do you have a photo of it happening?

Did you call the vet and ask about it?.
I didn’t get a video or picture though I tried. I did call the vet. I now have subcutaneous fluids I have to inject in him with a needle. (I’ve never done this before and I’m still scared to do it!) I also have a food powder I have to mix with warm water and give him 3 mL every 12 hours of it but it looks like wayyy too much for him! And I also got this other one I have to give him every 2 days 0.9mL of it (a tiny amount) this is all so overwhelming. And this isn’t including the other medicine I was already ordered to give him every 24 hours. This is all so scary for me. I can’t even bring myself to force feed him the tube food.

Did the vet tell you where to inject the fluids or show you how to do it? I've never done that type of injection.

You said "I also got this other one I have to give him every 2 days 0.9mL of it (a tiny amount)"... Please tell me what this one is called.

What's the powdered food called? Is the chameleon not eating on its own?

Back
Top Bottom