My Chameleon keeps opening his mouth?

Hi. I have a new 1-3 month old male veiled chameleon who I got a few days ago. He’s been eating drinking and exploring his new enclosure occasionally. His enclosure is around 89F at the hottest spot and around 79F at the lowest. Sometimes he opens his mouth and does it a few times in a row or keeps it open. When he does open it I don’t notice any excess saliva and I don’t notice his head ever tilted upwards. This often happens when I get to close to his enclosure and he gets frightened and gets dark spots all over him. Im just worried something may be wrong with him, or is it just because he’s too hot or just being defensive?

Hi. I have a new 1-3 month old male veiled chameleon who I got a few days ago. He’s been eating drinking and exploring his new enclosure occasionally. His enclosure is around 89F at the hottest spot and around 79F at the lowest. Sometimes he opens his mouth and does it a few times in a row or keeps it open. When he does open it I don’t notice any excess saliva and I don’t notice his head ever tilted upwards. This often happens when I get to close to his enclosure and he gets frightened and gets dark spots all over him. Im just worried something may be wrong with him, or is it just because he’s too hot or just being defensive?
Hi and welcome! It is way too hot for your baby. Basking temps shouldn’t exceed 78-80 for baby chams.

Can you post a photo of your cham?

I think 89F is too hot, but I'll defer to @MissSkittles and @Beman on veiled care specifics. He's probably opening his mouth (gaping) because he's trying to cool down. He could also be doing this as a defensive posture as well.
what heat bulb do you use?

Back
Top Bottom