My Chameleon is dying :(

Hello,
I came home today about 20 minutes ago. My veiled chameleon seems to be in distress. Think he's dying is there anything I can do help him or make him feel comfortable before he passed?

Photos tried to do it in the forum post. But said low memory.

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_190420883.jpg
    IMG_20200304_190420883.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20200304_190407667.jpg
    IMG_20200304_190407667.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 268
Can't say for all but he looks very dehydrated. Start misting him. If these are real time he may not be done.
mist see if he drinks.

When you get time you should try to answer these .

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He's holding his back legs funny in the photo....that's typical of dying
Gaping is definitely something that's done when dying too.

Seven is a pretty good age. You could take him to the vets and have him euthanized properly.

So sorry about him.

He is aspirating. Like a human when the end is coming. :(
If you happened to have it oxygen might make him more comfortable.
Like a oxygen tank not on hand. Just been misting once every hour. Stopped with lights going off soon. He is old was eating like 12-14 crickets last week. Last 3 days had to keep replacing crickets didn't touch them.

He's holding his back legs funny in the photo....that's typical of dying
Gaping is definitely something that's done when dying too.

Seven is a pretty good age. You could take him to the vets and have him euthanized properly.

So sorry about him.
Trying find a vet to do it tonight but onces near by can't treat cheamelons.

Are you for real?

If this animal is as old as she says, it is likely dying yes. It sounds odd, but some have elderly or sick relatives in the house that use oxygen. If you had that laying the hose near him, and he would likely feel better.

It will not solve anything, but it can help with comfort. As it would for any animal having breathing problems.

I know it sounded odd.
And I am assuming OP is honest on age. and condition.

Like a oxygen tank not on hand. Just been misting once every hour. Stopped with lights going off soon. He is old was eating like 12-14 crickets last week. Last 3 days had to keep replacing crickets didn't touch them.

Yes like if you had oxygen on hand. Some thought I was odd. I just want your old friend to be comfortable.

You could force feed, but he is old let hi be at peace. My male eats cut up romaine lettuce. maybe.

Mostly just water and warmth and hope his suffering is short.

If you can get him to a vet great. But I know this is not always so easy.

Aww...poor old guy. He is very beautiful. Hoping he has a comfortable passing. I think the only thing that I would do (if unable to get him to a vet for euthanasia) would be to pad the floor of his enclosure so when he eventually passes and falls, it will be soft. That would probably be only be for my own benefit though.

Back
Top Bottom