My Chameleon Is breathing weird but not symptom of RI. Please help.

My cham is 7 months old and is breathing very weird. this just started about an hour ago and he isn't wheezing or gaping. He is sucking in his stomach very hard up against his ribs and when he is breathing out his gular/throat is puffing up with air not like a threat. He ate a superworm today dusted with miner-all outdoor calcium but that is all. Someone, please give me advice on what to do. The image of his stomach is when he does an inhale and the image of his gular is an exhale.
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG

Is he puffing up and stretching out when he deep breathes ? Could be getting ready to shed.

also is he’s beautiful! Looks like a kammer line ambanja, almost like my behind blue eyes boy I have from them.

Is he puffing up and stretching out when he deep breathes ? Could be getting ready to shed.

also is he’s beautiful! Looks like a kammer line ambanja, almost like my behind blue eyes boy I have from them.
no, he just shed about a week or 2 ago and It's super weird I cannot find anything like this online. it looks super painful the way he sucks in but I cannot understand why he would be filling his mouth with air every exhale.

Thankw, He is awesome I definitely will post some of the cool pics I have of him.

I'm definitely no expert, but I don't see anything of concern in the pictures. All I see is that he's stretched his body out lengthwise so he doesn't have the arched back, but I've seen my chameleon do that from time to time. Is it possible he's going through a bit of teenage angst? He's at the right age for it. Can you get a picture of his throat from a different angle?

He may possibly have a piece of shed stuck on his nose that may be obstructing his airflow? Can’t really see from the pics you posted. The pics you wanna take of him are of his nose and mouth (open so we can see inside if possible)

I'm definitely no expert, but I don't see anything of concern in the pictures. All I see is that he's stretched his body out lengthwise so he doesn't have the arched back, but I've seen my chameleon do that from time to time. Is it possible he's going through a bit of teenage angst? He's at the right age for it. Can you get a picture of his throat from a different angle?
yeah I will get another picture in a little bit here. he just went to bask so I'm gonna let him chill and see if he keeps doing it and if he doesn't I will let you know. its weird because I know what he looks like when he's mad and his gular looks normal until he breathes and literally inflates with air slowly until its roundish, not pointy and round like when they get threatened if u know what I mean.

He may possibly have a piece of shed stuck on his nose that may be obstructing his airflow? Can’t really see from the pics you posted. The pics you wanna take of him are of his nose and mouth (open so we can see inside if possible)
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

here are both nostrils.

I would second the picture of the nostril area, as I've noticed with my bearded dragon, she breathes weird if she hasn't gotten the shed out of the nostrils, it becomes a bit of laboured looking. I haven't had this happen with my cham however. On a related note it's fun to gently moisturize and gently pull out stuck shed on a beardie's nostril, it tickles them and usually as soon as you move it a hair, they flick their head and rip it out themselves lol.

I would say his left nostril has stuck shed by the looks of it. His right nostril looks clear. Regrettably if it is stuck shed, it's different than what I'm use to, typically stuck shed in nostrils for me has stuck out a bit so it's able to be dealt with, this looks like it's recessed in the nostril to me. The only experience I have for stuck shed on a cham comes recently, with the last shed my adult cham had resulting in some stuck shed on his head, but according to the vet, it's not something to be concerned about as it's not restricting anything. Someone else should be able to help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom