my chameleon doesn’t look well

amyleight98

help, i have a horrible feeling my chameleon has mbd, but she has calcium and multiple vitamins on every insect she has, she also has the strip light at the top of the viv for vitamin D, so i’m unsure as to how she would have it? last night she was struggling to use her tongue, and kept falling off branches, now i’m so worried but also confused as to how she could possibly have it?

Fill out the form, post a pic...

With a moderate(dusting every feeding) amount of D3, they do not even need UVB lights.
Once MBD happens, it can not be corrected, the bones will get stronger, but will not rebend back to normal.
"misses" is a sign of MBD, the flicker bone is getting soft, and can even warp during MBD, when that happens they will never be on target again. For some reason their brains are wired for only one target site and can not adjust. At best they will get closer to the food.
Falling off branches could be a vitamin problem. calcium and phosphorus are used to contract muscles. Its why reptile supplements advertise the " calcium and phosphorus balance".

here is a recent picture of her, her tongue seems to be okay today, but last night wasn’t working properly, but she does have vitamins and calcium dusted on her food and has a UVB light so it’s not like she isn’t getting any calcium? i’ve bought a new bulb today to see if that was the issue?

Attachments

• D67DE051-0990-4808-9C00-59621BEEE719.jpeg
    D67DE051-0990-4808-9C00-59621BEEE719.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 32
Hi. In order to better help you to figure out what may be going on, answering the following questions is needed. Just copy/paste with your answers and we’ll do our best to help.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

When answering the questions @MissSkittles gave you, please be specific and detailed with your answers....especially with the supplements and the UVB light.

Is the UVB light the long linear bulb or the spiral one? What brand?
Supplements...we're looking for the calcium to phos ratio, whether there is D3 in it or not, what form of vitamin A is in it (prEformed or prOformed).

here is a recent picture of her, her tongue seems to be okay today, but last night wasn’t working properly, but she does have vitamins and calcium dusted on her food and has a UVB light so it’s not like she isn’t getting any calcium? i’ve bought a new bulb today to see if that was the issue?

She looks awfully "puffy". I wonder if you are over supplementing and she has an edema from a fat soluble vitamin...

What makes you think its MBD?

Back
Top Bottom