my chameleon choked and died, but now its alive again...what next?

I had bad dreams all night that I had a bunch of chams & they had gotten loose every where inside/outside the house. I was trying to find them all night long during my sleep!!!

Pssh has every right to post, its up to the reader to judge it's validity. Chill.

OP, If you want local help, email me via this forum.
Dont make a habit of broadcasting your in Oz, other Aussies read this forum and some of them may take it upon themselves to play policeman.
I don't think your cham was actually dead but obviously came close, your lucky.
Always feed a size smaller and a few more, rather than go bigger, its a safer option.
Best wishes with your Cham mate. :)

Yes, let's post about an illegal reptile on a public forum.

Lol, thats never bothered you before today, officer Syn! :) Bad Memory?

Last edited:
Okay the title of this thread just kills me. Nonsense. I don't think that if it died it would come back to life. Only Jebus can do that from what someone said earlier. lol.

also, thought id add, that to back up the claim that the ridiculous can happen:

any keen fishermen ever tried to kill an eel for their dinner???

hard isnt it. you can freeze it, chop it up (which will eventually kill it of course), remove it from water for days..... and it wont die quickly.

try turning it upside down?

(p.s. a collegues field research with fishermen is where this story comes from)

x

Ok the title is a bit amusing, but lets not all make the op feel like an idiot, He/She is very likely not a biologist, just an average person who hasn't encountered something like that before and without any knowledge of reptilian metabolic suppression in response to anoxia, it's a fair conclusion when the animal has gone a horrible color and laying still and dosent appear to be alive, then surprisingly 'goes lazarus' on him/her. :D

I can relate an account of a very experienced herper of many years, who upon discovering a 'dead' lizard (beardy I think), imposed on himself the 'not till it smells rule'
due to a knowledge of reptilian metabolism.
Having left the animal in the cage a further 24 hrs and despite no smell, the animal was still as limp and unmoving as the previous day.
He wrapped it newspaper and went to dig a hole in the backyard and on returning to fetch the unfortunate animal, discovered it gone!
It had gone Lazarus and run off under another enclosure! :D

No cause in this case for the apparent 'death' was ever determined.
It might be a little kinder and more tactful to provide the OP with some relative reading.
Peace :)

I'm not arguing that it's good that it's alive. Just the grammar or use of words in the title. Sorry. Good job keeping it alive btw.

Ok the title is a bit amusing, but lets not all make the op feel like an idiot, He/She is very likely not a biologist, just an average person who hasn't encountered something like that before and without any knowledge of reptilian metabolic suppression in response to anoxia, it's a fair conclusion when the animal has gone a horrible color and laying still and dosent appear to be alive, then surprisingly 'goes lazarus' on him/her. :D

I can relate an account of a very experienced herper of many years, who upon discovering a 'dead' lizard (beardy I think), imposed on himself the 'not till it smells rule'
due to a knowledge of reptilian metabolism.
Having left the animal in the cage a further 24 hrs and despite no smell, the animal was still as limp and unmoving as the previous day.
He wrapped it newspaper and went to dig a hole in the backyard and on returning to fetch the unfortunate animal, discovered it gone!
It had gone Lazarus and run off under another enclosure! :D

No cause in this case for the apparent 'death' was ever determined.
It might be a little kinder and more tactful to provide the OP with some relative reading.
Peace :)

I agree :)

Yes, yes, yes, but every time someone comments on here I have to read the title and it urks me. lol. Okay, I'll stop now.

True, but at some point in time we were all new here and have posted things in a panic. Last thing we need to do is alienate a new member.

Sorry you have to look at the title again....

OP I have sent you a pm :)

Wow-this thread goes off in some "interesting" directions!

I want to know if the OP's cham survived after all of that squeezing...

Thanks for your post:

as i just said the chameleon choked during feeding, its only about 6 weeks old and i turned away for 2 seconds and when i looked it was standing on its back legs with its mouth open swinging from side to side rapidly, i managed to grab it and calm it down, and squeezed what was inside out

it chocked on a bigger then pinhead sized cricket

then it fainted and its tail curled up and it went realy pale and its head turned black, i was sure it was dead, it also deflated and looked like kin and bone, it would open its mouth every 30 second or so but i thought that was just nerves in it...

I then gave its chest a couple of pumps with my finger and out of nowhere its legs started moving like it was trying to gain balance, then it inflated itself again and after about 10 mins of that repeating itself, it finaly had the strength to stand up again...

Its now sitting on its branch but wont move and wont open its eyes, i hope it will be alright, i can imagine its very stressed out after what just happened

has this happened to anyone elses lizrds before? And did they lizard survive? Will mine survive?

thanks so much for this information--our chameleon just did the same thing. So i pumped his chest for about five minutes and he started breathing again. I couldn't find a cricket in his mouth, but we had just fed him and i think he ate too many crickets and couldn't breathe.

thanks so much for this information--our chameleon just did the same thing. So i pumped his chest for about five minutes and he started breathing again. I couldn't find a cricket in his mouth, but we had just fed him and i think he ate too many crickets and couldn't breathe.

Welcome to CF!
We are glad to have you here!
Im glad you were able to save your little friend!:eek:
That is just crazy!
If you need anything at all, we are here.
;)

Back
Top Bottom