My Chameleon BIT ME!!!

theresaintucson

I was trying to hand feed my cham a superworm. I should have given him more room to shoot for it! He stretched himself out as long as he could, took the superworm and accidentally bit me while doing it.
Ouch! The skin is broken and I now know he can clamp down hard. I had to laugh though because it was my own stupidity that got me bitten.

Mine also had his first nibble today was only softly he wasnt happy about something prob the long trip home lol

today was also my first day hand feeding him but he seems fine doing that....with the worm i just had it in the palm of my hand far enough for him to get it with his tongue :p

Mine also had his first nibble today was only softly he wasnt happy about something prob the long trip home lol

today was also my first day hand feeding him but he seems fine doing that....with the worm i just had it in the palm of my hand far enough for him to get it with his tongue :p

what type of cham you got, and where you get him mate? :D

I was trying to hand feed my cham a superworm. I should have given him more room to shoot for it! He stretched himself out as long as he could, took the superworm and accidentally bit me while doing it.
Ouch! The skin is broken and I now know he can clamp down hard. I had to laugh though because it was my own stupidity that got me bitten.

Well, he didn't mean to, and now you know what it can be like...no more mystery! Be glad he isn't a melleri!

I'm glad I could laugh it off or I'd never go near him again. What's a melleri bite like?

The crush force can blacken your thumbnail similar to slamming it in a door. They can easily break the skin and leave you bleeding. They are really powerful animals, but most of them don't bite out of aggression.

I've been bitten probably 6-8 times, by three chams, over a period of five years. Mostly it's been the case you describe - they're going for the bug and get me instead (or also); I don't want to damage their tongues, so I let them reel me in and chomp down. Once the female veiled got out of her room and was found trying to displace the male panther from his perch; in that case, I intervened and knowingly let her bite me instead of him. That was the only aggressive bite I've received, and the aggression wasn't really directed at me. Chams haven't broken my skin - yet; my big cichlid fish did once, as did the tiger salamander (who lacks teeth!).

It doesn't matter if it is aggression or accident, we put them in a cage, so if we get bite, I think it is our fault.

Yes mine but me on my nose last week totally random he is so docile normally just put my face toward him maybe a bit quick and snap he got me but nithing serious and no blood. kinda think it was a Cham Kiss hiya dad ;):)

oh no!

I have had a few times his tongue stuck on my finger when hand feeding him. But it was always stuck more on the worm than my hand and came unstuck as he retracted it. It was just enough for me to feel the goo of his tongue.

He does love superworms. Sometimes he would have his tongue already out ready to shoot before I even opened his cage.. Sometimes I wouldn't even be opening it to give him anything, just to clean or something..

Dez, I LOVE him. You weren't kidding when you said he loves his superworms! He sees the container and he's right there, trampling everything that may be in the way. I am so glad I got him

Back
Top Bottom