My chameleon after trying to hand feed!!

So I tried to hand feed again this morning after having him for about 2 weeks. Idk if it is to soon or what, but he is literally terrified of me!!! I had my arm outstretched for a 10 min not looking at him until it started tingling and falling asleep. When I finally decided to turn around he was in the top corner showing colors all freaked out. What am I doing wrong?? Can someone please help or do I just leave him alone longer. I know it's only been two weeks but I didn't think he would still be this scared.

Attachments

• 20170305_082455.jpg
    20170305_082455.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170305_082451.jpg
    20170305_082451.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 92
You've only had him 2 weeks. Chams don't do well with change and take a long time to adjust to new environments and people. Don't rush things or he's never going to get used to you but don't be surprised if he never likes you or wants to be handled. Chams are look at pets, not play with pets. Some species tolerate it better than others, like panthers, but veileds are notoriously grumpy and antisocial. Especially males. My female veiled tolerates me looking at her and she will hand feed but my male is extremely aggressive. Disappears deep into his setup so I can't see him as soon as I walk into the room. He won't eat in front of me, let alone hand feed and he bites. Granted they're all individuals but they do view us as giant predators and in my experience they don't want to interact with us. I also think you should make him feel as safe and secure as possible in his home so he's not feeling stressed all the time. To do that he needs a lot of climbing branches and I mean a lot, cham highway all up and down throughout, and so many live plants to create a jungle look. You shouldn't be able to easily find him in there.

Yeah..what she said 100%..
Well I have a jackson so I don't how their temperament is compared to veileds..but my guy doesn't like being messed with..he doesn't get aggressive..he just gets scared..
So after the first couple times I felt like a big bear to him and started giving him his space..
Now that he's had his space for around a month he's starting to "be himself"
I'm not sure how to explain it..it took him 3 weeks to find parts of his cage he didn't know existed because it took him that long to take everything in.
I think these animals are pretty intelligent..I have no idea what their brain capacity is..I might start learning about that..but definitely..give him his space and he will absolutely come around.
And if you have a couple extra bucks to spend id swap those walking sticks you have with something softer for his feet..maybe that doesn't apply to veilds tho so maybe someone can correct me..but I did something similar to you..just with a 10 dollar pack of galapagos moss sticks off amazon..here's a pic

Attachments

• 20170304_122113.jpg
    20170304_122113.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 91
So I tried to hand feed again this morning after having him for about 2 weeks. Idk if it is to soon or what, but he is literally terrified of me!!! I had my arm outstretched for a 10 min not looking at him until it started tingling and falling asleep. When I finally decided to turn around he was in the top corner showing colors all freaked out. What am I doing wrong?? Can someone please help or do I just leave him alone longer. I know it's only been two weeks but I didn't think he would still be this scared.

Try just hanging out in the room close to the cage, maybe even with the door open. I did that with my gracilior for a while because he wasn't too fond of me. I would just sit and read so he could get used to me being around. After a few weeks, I would use my hand to place worms near him so he could associate my hand with food. Eventually, I started holding the worms out for him, and he finally trusted me enough to take it.

It just takes time and patience. They really aren't social creatures, but they get used to your presence. I know it is tempting, but don't rush it. Let him chill for a bit. Down the road, if you have your hand in the cage for a minute or two and he still looks stressed, just back off. He just need to get used to his new place and person.

Back
Top Bottom