my cham stuck?

johncjb

So my outsie cham just arrived and the first thing he did was cling to the roof and hang there with his claws. Is this normal and is he stuck?

Attachments

• 1421258009472-1394103817.jpg
    1421258009472-1394103817.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 225
I highly doubt your cham is stuck. Young chams love climbing under the light. Mine does this almost every day. Just be sure your basking light it high enough to where he doesn't burn himself.

I highly doubt your cham is stuck. Young chams love climbing under the light. Mine does this almost every day. Just be sure your basking light it high enough to where he doesn't burn himself.

It's right up against the mesh. It's not very hot, though. I felt it. :D

I have some on the screen. Just make very sure he can't get burned. It is really not a good idea to do that but I just do what works for me. I am talking 40W or less.

I have some on the screen. Just make very sure he can't get burned. It is really not a good idea to do that but I just do what works for me. I am talking 40W or less.

You are everywhere Laurie :D

I currently have a 75W basking bulb in there (LLL recommended a 100W so one is on the way). It does get a bit hot and I'm not sure how I should go about raising the lamp. He is still up there btw :rolleyes:

100 watts is A LOT if he is hanging directly under it like that. Be VERY careful and watchful, he could easily burn his little belly.

It is otherwise perfectly normal for young panthers to hang from the roof. My guy continued to climb his cage and ceiling until he was more than a year old. It drove me CRAZY.:eek: He was to the point that he could barely hang onto the mesh and I would freak out about the possibility of him falling (which did happen a couple times).

100 watts is A LOT if he is hanging directly under it like that. Be VERY careful and watchful, he could easily burn his little belly.

It is otherwise perfectly normal for young panthers to hang from the roof. My guy continued to climb his cage and ceiling until he was more than a year old. It drove me CRAZY.:eek: He was to the point that he could barely hang onto the mesh and I would freak out about the possibility of him falling (which did happen a couple times).

ill probably build/buy some sort of structure to keep it a few inches above the mesh. I was afraid of him falling, too. Every once in a while his hand would slip. he is down now :)

Was probably cold from shipping and climbed up there to warm up. Most tend to hide upon arrival, therefore I tend to believe he was just cold.

All my guyz were ceiling dwellers when they were little.

Peanut, my youngest panther, used to sleep up there :eek:

I dont know why they do it, I guess JF is right, they are trying to get warmer (more UV).
That's the most logical explaination.

Not to worry, he wont fall, and even if he did, it's very unlikely he would hurt himself.
Chams were manufactured to handle falls, they do it to escape would-be preditors :) ;)

I simply screwed a hook into the ceiling directly above the spot I want the light over and hang the light by the cord. It is super easy, cheap, and adjusts in seconds with a gentle pull of the cord.

Back
Top Bottom