My cham seems scared to climb on the cage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhino, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:05 PM.

1. Rhino

Rhino Member

I've noticed for the last 3 days, my female panther seems uncomfortable with climbing on the cage. Up until Sunday, she would attack crickets no matter where they were. Now she stays about 4 inches from the cage and picks them off from there. When she does get on the cage, she is very methodical and does not go very far. Her back left leg seems to not hold on well or she has trouble getting her claws through the holes of the cage. Her leg makes a motion like it can't hold onto the cage.

She doesn't seem to be missing her nails. I was home all day sunday, she didn't fall as far as I know.

Any thoughts on this? She's eating well but if a cricket goes to the top of the cage, she will wait for it to come down before she picks it off.
  2. CamrynTheCham22

CamrynTheCham22 Avid Member

She may have MBD or something else. Can you post a picture of the leg when she seems to be having issues.
    CJ's Exotics likes this.
  3. Rhino

Rhino Member

I'll post a picture when I can, she's going through a shed right now so she isn't very happy. Hopefully I'll get a picture today
  4. Rhino

Rhino Member

Here are the photos inwas able to get of her

Attached Files:

5. I don't see any signs of MBD right now. Does it seem like she is struggling to walk?
  6. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

Can I please see a picture of the enclosure? She seems okay visually, she should probably see a vet.
  7. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

Has she got all her toe and finger nails?
  8. Rhino

Rhino Member

Not at all, she walks all over the branches, vines, and plant (real and fake) in the enclosure. She doesn't struggle to walk at all, but she won't chase crickets on the cage anymore.
  9. Rhino

Rhino Member

Yes, she does.
  10. Rhino

Rhino Member

Here is a pic of her enclosure

Attached Files:

11. Crashbandit05

Crashbandit05 Avid Member

Your enclosure needs some work. The basking spot is way to low for her to properly bask and receive uvb. She needs more foilage and horizontal sticks/branches to thermoregulate.
    CJ's Exotics likes this.
  12. JacksJill

JacksJill Chameleon Enthusiast

Yes, as above, your cage needs more horizontal branches at a variety of levels. When panthers are younger and lighter they climb more, as they mature they spend less time on the walls. They also get lazier in general and when well fed and no longer growing won't work as hard to eat. I would still keep an eye on her limbs for problems and be sure she is getting enough calcium, D3 and UVB just in case this is an early sign of MBD.
    CJ's Exotics likes this.