My Cham is Shedding when he is not Supposed to

veiledmav

Established Member
So, I noticed that my Cham's skin under his belly was a little pale yesterday, but I thought it was just the way the light was shining on him. But, today the top of his back, his foot, and under his belly. i peeled a piece of it off and it is his skin. He was just shedding last week, and he is a veiled so I thought he was only supposed to shed every two months. He is also always brown and only turns blue or green when hes is sleeping. He is hissy and does not drink any water and I have to spray the water in his mouth other he will not drink off the leaves. I cannot ever get the humidity up from 40 so I moved him outside about 2 days ago and it was 75 on the firdst day, and now all day it has been 20-30. I mist the terrarium multiple times a day and he has a daytime heat bulb and a flourescent light during the day and just a nighttime heat bulb at night. His urate has been orange but his poop looks normal, and he is always willing to eat. please help

Last edited:
No no no never pull off there shedding. And no nighttime bulb unless your house is getting below the mid 50’s. He/she is definitely dehydrated if the urtates are orange. You need to work on figuring out how to provide him/her with a proper water system. Here is the basic care sheet take a look at it https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/. Also fill out this form and more help will come.
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

How often do they shed and I keep him outside. And the temperature is usualy 60-70 at night outside.

I agree with @Ruthless plz dont peel any shed skin it will do more damage than helping...it should come off on their own if the humidity level is correct....
May I ask why do u keep him outside?(is it higher humidity outdoor u live)
Is it an outdoor cage u keeping him in??
They can shed around every month...it all depends on how fast he grows

He was just shedding last week. And I am sorry if I sound uneducated, I just got him for my birthday on May 5 and he is my first reptile. And I keep him outside because I live in Florida and it's alway humid outside, so it is just easier to keep him there. And I am not sure if he has an indoor or outdoor. That is the cage that I keep him in

He was just shedding last week. And I am sorry if I sound uneducated, I just got him for my birthday on May 5 and he is my first reptile. And I keep him outside because I live in Florida and it's alway humid outside, so it is just easier to keep him there. And I am not sure if he has an indoor or outdoor. That is the cage that I keep him in
View attachment 232382
Ok plz dont be sorry n u are more educated then Im...since u live down Florida...could u tell me whats the temperature like out there ( humidity n temperature day n night)
Btw happy late birthday!!

Well, the weather her is different all the time. 2 days ago it was rainy and really humid but today it was really hot and kinda dry. Right now it is about 9:30 pm and the temp is 76 farenheit and the humidity is 64 but in his cage it is 40. Tomorrow it will be in the 70s and 80s and the humidity will be about 60

Well, the weather her is different all the time. 2 days ago it was rainy and really humid but today it was really hot and kinda dry. Right now it is about 9:30 pm and the temp is 76 farenheit and the humidity is 64 but in his cage it is 40. Tomorrow it will be in the 70s and 80s and the humidity will be about 60
Could it be all these different up n down temperature n humidity that cause ur veiled cham having a separate different sheds time since the way he is been left outside without a constant humidity or temperature??
I would try keep him within the guidelines with this link im about to show u
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

It could be, I just don’t know how to keep the humidity constant, and also I think he has one eye because within the first few days I had him, he was squinting his eye a lot and he doesn’t do that anymore but it looks like he doesnt even have an eye. I don’t know if I could get a good pic now tho because it’s dark and he is sleeping.

No no no never pull off there shedding. And no nighttime bulb unless your house is getting below the mid 50’s. He/she is definitely dehydrated if the urtates are orange. You need to work on figuring out how to provide him/her with a proper water system. Here is the basic care sheet take a look at it https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/. Also fill out this form and more help will come.
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Chameleon: veiled chameleon(his name is Maverick), male, 2 years old I think, I have had him for 12 days

Handling: I have picked him up or taken him out of the cage because he really doesn’t like it and hisses at me every time I try to take him out. He will tolerate me rubbing his belly, but doesn’t like that either and puffs up real big when i touch him. I spend a lot of time with him and frequently open his cage and touch him to get him used to me.

Feeding: I feed him 5 or 6 five week old crickets every other day, and I feed the crickets Fluker’s Orange Cube Complete Cricket Diet. Before I got him, he was mostly eating mealworms and i did feed him a hornworm two days after I got him. He is a pretty big lizard and I wonder if I should be feeding him more. He always eats the food I give him and is always willing to eat.

Supplements: I dust his crickets with Repti Calcium by Zoo Med without D3 10 minutes before I give them to him.

Watering: I hand mist the plants until they look drenched every time I see they are dry, however, I am at school for 6 and a half hours, five days a week, so I do it as often as I can when I’m home. I have only seen him drink from the water running off the side of the cage once, and yesterday, I sprayed his mouth with the mister and he was drinking then, but that’s it. His urate is orange and I’m worried about dehydration. I have been thinking about an automatic mister but my mom said she just can’t afford it.

Fecal Description: He poos a couple hours after eating and sometimes poops the day after eating. His poop is soft with liquid around it, and it is a greyish brownish color. I am not sure if he has ever been tested for parasites.

History: My dad got him from a drug addict who kept reptiles and said that Maverick was a rescue from Miami, FL, but I am not so sure about that.

Cage: My cage is a screened cage and is 31 inches in height and 16 in length and width.

Lighting: I don’t know what type of lamp I have, but it’s two ceramic lamps and they are in a dome shape , and I know they are by Zoo Med. He has a 60w Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb by Zoo Med, and a 5.0 UVB 13w Tropical Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb by Zoo Med until about 8pm, then I shut them off, and I turn them on whenever I wake up.

Temperature: I don’t know what the temperature is in his cage, because I got my thermometer broken, but it is usually 70-95 degrees fahrenheit outside and I keep him on my back porch(which is covered), so his cage might be between 80 and 95 degrees during the day and it is probably 65-80 at night.

Humidity: I don’t really have anything to create a fixed humidity level, but it is usually 30-80 percent outside and it is between 40 and 80 in his cage and I use a little dial to measure humidity.

Plants: I don’t have any live plants because my cage is only about 3 feet tall, and I bought a golden pothos plant but I thought it would grow too tall, and I couldn’t find a decent soil with no pearlite or fertilizers, so the plant is just sitting in my room. I do have plastic plant hanging from the top of the cage, and a branch I found outside(I scraped the moss of and lest it outside for two days before I put it in the cage).

Placement: I keep Maverick on my covered back patio because I live in Florida and it is mostly humid, and I was having trouble keeping the humidity under control when he was in my room. His cage is 59 inches off the ground.

Chameleon: veiled chameleon(his name is Maverick), male, 2 years old I think, I have had him for 12 days

Handling: I have picked him up or taken him out of the cage because he really doesn’t like it and hisses at me every time I try to take him out. He will tolerate me rubbing his belly, but doesn’t like that either and puffs up real big when i touch him. I spend a lot of time with him and frequently open his cage and touch him to get him used to me.

Feeding: I feed him 5 or 6 five week old crickets every other day, and I feed the crickets Fluker’s Orange Cube Complete Cricket Diet. Before I got him, he was mostly eating mealworms and i did feed him a hornworm two days after I got him. He is a pretty big lizard and I wonder if I should be feeding him more. He always eats the food I give him and is always willing to eat.

Supplements: I dust his crickets with Repti Calcium by Zoo Med without D3 10 minutes before I give them to him.

Watering: I hand mist the plants until they look drenched every time I see they are dry, however, I am at school for 6 and a half hours, five days a week, so I do it as often as I can when I’m home. I have only seen him drink from the water running off the side of the cage once, and yesterday, I sprayed his mouth with the mister and he was drinking then, but that’s it. His urate is orange and I’m worried about dehydration. I have been thinking about an automatic mister but my mom said she just can’t afford it.

Fecal Description: He poos a couple hours after eating and sometimes poops the day after eating. His poop is soft with liquid around it, and it is a greyish brownish color. I am not sure if he has ever been tested for parasites.

History: My dad got him from a drug addict who kept reptiles and said that Maverick was a rescue from Miami, FL, but I am not so sure about that.

Cage: My cage is a screened cage and is 31 inches in height and 16 in length and width.

Lighting: I don’t know what type of lamp I have, but it’s two ceramic lamps and they are in a dome shape , and I know they are by Zoo Med. He has a 60w Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb by Zoo Med, and a 5.0 UVB 13w Tropical Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb by Zoo Med until about 8pm, then I shut them off, and I turn them on whenever I wake up.

Temperature: I don’t know what the temperature is in his cage, because I got my thermometer broken, but it is usually 70-95 degrees fahrenheit outside and I keep him on my back porch(which is covered), so his cage might be between 80 and 95 degrees during the day and it is probably 65-80 at night.

Humidity: I don’t really have anything to create a fixed humidity level, but it is usually 30-80 percent outside and it is between 40 and 80 in his cage and I use a little dial to measure humidity.

Plants: I don’t have any live plants because my cage is only about 3 feet tall, and I bought a golden pothos plant but I thought it would grow too tall, and I couldn’t find a decent soil with no pearlite or fertilizers, so the plant is just sitting in my room. I do have plastic plant hanging from the top of the cage, and a branch I found outside(I scraped the moss of and lest it outside for two days before I put it in the cage).

Placement: I keep Maverick on my covered back patio because I live in Florida and it is mostly humid, and I was having trouble keeping the humidity under control when he was in my room. His cage is 59 inches off the ground.

Ok you have a few changes to make . He needs a much bigger condo . 24x24x48 at least . Maverick is an adult he needs space lots and lots of space :) .

Maverick can have A variety of insects . Silk worms , hornworms , crickets , roaches if you can get your hands on them , super worms all good . You need to change up your gut load. Rapashy is good .

UVB he is already getting he lives out side . He is getting the best source possibly can .

Water living outside he needs more access . You can set up a dripped or go automatic . His humidity should be fine . You can pick up a thermometer that will auto humidity at any hardware store they’re very inexpensive . Hope this helps .

Last edited:
Ok you have a few changes to make . He needs a much bigger condo . 24x24x48 at least . Maverick is an adult he needs space lots and lots of space :) .

Maverick can have A variety of insects . Silk worms , hornworms , crickets , roaches if you can get your hands on them , super worms all food. You need to change up your goat load. Rapashy is good .

UVB he is already getting he lives out side . He is getting the best source possibly can .

Water living outside he needs more access . You can set up a dripped or go automatic . His humidity should be fine . You can pick up a thermometer that will auto humidity at any hardware store they’re very inexpensive . Hope this helps .
Ok, thank you for the help! So should I keep the fluorescent bulb on? Because he is under a covered area with only sun coming through the door. Also, will he change colors at all, because he has been brown ever since I got him

Ok, thank you for the help! So should I keep the fluorescent bulb on? Because he is under a covered area with only sun coming through the door. Also, will he change colors at all, because he has been brown ever since I got him
He likely is not very happy with a small space along With not feel well especially if his care was bad . It will take a bit of time for Maverick to adjust . He will not like being with in eye view . He will want to be higher then your eye view . You have to gain his trust .

First he needs a much bigger space with lots of walking (vines , branches , and cover for hiding ) the bigger the better for your boy .

For basking I can’t answer that . He likely does not need a light being out side . You need a thermometer under his basking as well as mid and bottom . I always use 3 with all my babies . You need ambient , and basking .

He likely is not very happy with a small space along With not feel well especially if his care was bad . It will take a bit of time for Maverick to adjust . He will not like being with in eye view . He will want to be higher then your eye view . You have to gain his trust .

First he needs a much bigger space with lots of walking (vines , branches , and cover for hiding ) the bigger the better for your boy .

For basking I can’t answer that . He likely does not need a light being out side . You need a thermometer under his basking as well as mid and bottom . I always use 3 with all my babies . You need ambient , and basking .
Ok, I will ask my mom to buy a bigger cage, and maybe sell the one I have now to make money for more things for him. Will I need a bigger stand?

You said he is outside, but under a covered porch area. Does any of the natural sun get in his cage? And for how long during the day?

Back
Top Bottom