My cham is pale!

Sbroome17

1. Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - He is a 9 month old male Veiled chameleon. I have had him for 4 months.
  • Handling - I hold him for about 5-10 minutes a day.
  • Feeding - I feed him 6-9 crickets a day. I gut load them with the stuff from the pet store. I feed him in the morning.
  • Supplements - I supplement with the calcium powder on the crickets.
  • Watering - he has a fountain and I mist him several times a day.
  • Fecal Description - his fecals look normal. big brown with pure white.
  • History - i ordered him from FLCHAMS.com I have had him in a 5 by 5 ft enclosure.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - wood and screen combo. its 5 by 5 foot with a door.
  • Lighting - duel UVA/UVB and heat light. 40 watts. light comes on at 8 and goes off at 8.
  • Temperature - House stays around 72 to 75 degrees. he has a limb right in front of the lights to bask.
  • Plants : he has pothos, ferns and bromeliad. one fake vine across the top.
  • Placement - right next to my front door in front of a winow.
  • Location - northern georgia.

Current Problem - Louie eats like normal. He was quite aggressive when he first came to live with me, but he has calmed down a lot in the past month. He used to hiss at me every time i went to handle him but he just puffs up at me now. I have been concerned about his color. He has shed about a month ago. he was a bright green color for a while but now he mostly stays brown and a light grey color. is this normal? he moves about the enclosure a good bit. he doesnt seem lethargic.

Attachments

• 19601265_10101845464501608_3382379713078997998_n.jpg
    19601265_10101845464501608_3382379713078997998_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
He looks ok from the pictures. He might just be going through a different phase of color. They can change alot throughout their lifetime. Be sure to get him a multivitamin to give bi weekly and also that you change out your uvb light about every 6 months. I would also suggest getting a seperate basking light and a uvb tube style light for your cage. Read Jann's info or you can read the Chameleon Care resource caresheet on Veilds on here. definitely add some more variety to his diet. I would add some silkworms and some superworms. Gutloading your insects is important. I would use fresh fruits and vegetables. You can search gutloading threads on here to see what other members use.

He's just developing his adult coloration. As long as he is still bright green/yellow at night when he is asleep, I wouldn't worry too much. They go through different color stages, too. My Echo is usually a mix of browns and greens during the day. His pissy-spots are blue/black and his pajamas are a beautiful lemon/lime. And if I take him outside, he is so bright he almost glows!

Yea, totally normal. My veiled is almost always a mix of ugly browns and greys with very pale yellows when hes relaxed in his cage basking or roaming. Feeding he gets a bit brighter and when hes sleeping he gets beautiful blues, greens and bright bright yellow. my avatar is him when hes down right pissed... (Hates the camera)

He's just developing his adult coloration. As long as he is still bright green/yellow at night when he is asleep, I wouldn't worry too much. They go through different color stages, too. My Echo is usually a mix of browns and greens during the day. His pissy-spots are blue/black and his pajamas are a beautiful lemon/lime. And if I take him outside, he is so bright he almost glows!
Yours sounds beautiful!!! I was just concerned because sometimes he has almost a waxy appearance. He turns spotted when you handle him sometimes. When he was little he stayed a bright green color most of the time.

Yea, totally normal. My veiled is almost always a mix of ugly browns and greys with very pale yellows when hes relaxed in his cage basking or roaming. Feeding he gets a bit brighter and when hes sleeping he gets beautiful blues, greens and bright bright yellow. my avatar is him when hes down right pissed... (Hates the camera)
Thank you so much that makes me feel so much better! :) your pic is exactly what mine is supposed to look like. He was from the FL cham website and he is Jethro bloodline. I hope mine turns out as beautiful as yours!!!

He looks ok from the pictures. He might just be going through a different phase of color. They can change alot throughout their lifetime. Be sure to get him a multivitamin to give bi weekly and also that you change out your uvb light about every 6 months. I would also suggest getting a seperate basking light and a uvb tube style light for your cage. Read Jann's info or you can read the Chameleon Care resource caresheet on Veilds on here. definitely add some more variety to his diet. I would add some silkworms and some superworms. Gutloading your insects is important. I would use fresh fruits and vegetables. You can search gutloading threads on here to see what other members use.
do you have any recommendations for where to buy them where they wont die before I get them? I have ordered from other places and the heat ends up killing them all. :(

Welcome to the forums. I had a veiled named Luie. He was special and I loved him very much. Your Louie could be getting ready for a shed, could be to cold or just going through a brown stage. It's very important that you have everything correct for them so the will stay healthy. Attached is my blog for new keepers and the Forums care sheet.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Thank you so much for the info I will read your blogs. Louie/luie's are awesome!! :)

1. Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - He is a 9 month old male Veiled chameleon. I have had him for 4 months.
  • Handling - I hold him for about 5-10 minutes a day.
  • Feeding - I feed him 6-9 crickets a day. I gut load them with the stuff from the pet store. I feed him in the morning.
  • I would recommend feeding/gutloading the crickets with a wide assortment of greens (dandelion greens, collards, endive, escarole, kale, etc) and veggies (carrots, sweet poitato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc) and a little fruit (berries, melon, pears, Apple etc.).
  • Supplements - I supplement with the calcium powder on the crickets.
  • It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A.
  • Watering - he has a fountain and I mist him several times a day.
  • I would ditch the fountain and use a dripper instead.
  • Fecal Description - his fecals look normal. big brown with pure white.
  • History - i ordered him from FLCHAMS.com I have had him in a 5 by 5 ft enclosure.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - wood and screen combo. its 5 by 5 foot with a door.
  • Lighting - duel UVA/UVB and heat light. 40 watts. light comes on at 8 and goes off at 8.
  • One light bulb or more?
  • Temperature - House stays around 72 to 75 degrees. he has a limb right in front of the lights to bask.
  • It's important to know the basking temperature.
  • Plants : he has pothos, ferns and bromeliad. one fake vine across the top.
  • Placement - right next to my front door in front of a winow.
  • If it gets cold there in the winter your chameleon could develop a respiratoryninfection if it's in front of the window.
  • Location - northern georgia.

Current Problem - Louie eats like normal. He was quite aggressive when he first came to live with me, but he has calmed down a lot in the past month. He used to hiss at me every time i went to handle him but he just puffs up at me now. I have been concerned about his color. He has shed about a month ago. he was a bright green color for a while but now he mostly stays brown and a light grey color. is this normal? he moves about the enclosure a good bit. he doesnt seem lethargic.
His color doesn't bother me.

Back
Top Bottom