My cham is digging!!!

NewOwner

My chameleon is in Her hole digging, i went in she was in her hole, and i made sure i was quiet, and walked out right away.. How long do i wait to go in?

How many eggs should she lay (30 - 50 is average) but do they lay a bigger or smaller or normal clutch when its infertile?

Just thought id share.. its my first time EVER having a female lay eggs.. :p

Btw is there anyway i can keep an egg as a 'Souvenir'? to remember her by when she isnt with us anymore (Hopefully no time soon)

But like, for easter eggs, you poke a whole, and let it drain... anyway i can do that?

When you said souvenir I was like. D: I thought she had really passed! *phew*

No she didnt :p

Just like to remember her as the one who started this hobby of mine :p

Hope she never goes, but i know that she will, and i know that i am giving her the best life i possibly can... :D

Yeah ive heard that too... and like i said at easter when you blow the yolk out of a chicken egg and paint it... :p dunno though, maybe pictures will do....

Btw if anyone has tips for me id love them... i kinda thought she was bout ta lay, she hadnt eaten for a good 2-3 days...
I've heard of people saving ostrich eggs?

Hope she does well Levi - I'm sure she will. I've had females take 4 hours, and others take forever (couple days was the longest I waited, cuz she made and abandoned a couple holes before really getting down to the real business). Peek in on, slow and quietly, just before lights out. If she's done, you can remove the eggs after she's sleeping. If she's not done, you can leave a little night light on in the room, then check her in the morning.

You have a veiled right? How much do you feed her? How warm do you keep her? If you feed her less, 6 to 8 feeders every other day and keep her cooler like 80 to 82, then she should have a small clutch or she should have had no clutch at all. Read blog below. Jann
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

False alarm, she was just down there? :p quietly checked and she was way at the top, she is veiled i feed her about 5-6 crix everyday.. and... heat is low 80s all around basking temp is high eighties.. to low 90's...

She is veiled... :p

Thanks though, she didnt lay any... she is 6 months now, whats the avg age for a first clutch? for veiled..

She's old enought now. She might have been digging a test hole. Do you want her to lay eggs? It shortens their life. Read The Raising the Female Veil blog above. If you don't want her to lay only feed her every other day and don't have her any warmer than 80 to 82.....no basking light is needed with the double lights, one regular bulb and one UVB. Jann

She's old enought now. She might have been digging a test hole. Do you want her to lay eggs? It shortens their life. Read The Raising the Female Veil blog above. If you don't want her to lay only feed her every other day and don't have her any warmer than 80 to 82.....no basking light is needed with the double lights, one regular bulb and one UVB. Jann

Mmm Cool!! Ill do that i geuss..

:)

Did she actually dig a hole?

Did she actually dig a hole? It sounded like she did in your original post. If she did then it isn't a false alarm, but a test hole. She will dig again. Is it possible that she dug a hole, laid and then covered it up again? Just curious.

I do have some preserved eggs from my big female iguana. She had 50 some eggs in her and could not lay them. I had the vet take them out and "fix" her so she would never produce eggs again. He said there were so many eggs in her that they were almost cutting off her air. That was about six or seven years ago. He put a couple of eggs in formaldahyde in a small glass jar for me. At the time it seemed cool. Fixing her will greatly increase her lifespan and totally improved her attitude. She was a monster during breeding season and you can't imagine the mess a large iguana can make flinging sand around as she digs a huge hole for laying. She's totally sweet and mellow now. It's too bad the procedure can't easily be done with female chams so they can live happily as a non breeding female with no health strain from egg production.

PardalisGirl said..."It's too bad the procedure can't easily be done with female chams so they can live happily as a non breeding female with no health strain from egg production"..what do you base this on? I'm interested in hearing more.

Wishful thinking.....

Kinyonga......My thoughts were just wishful thinking.....There is so much more known information (husbandry and medical) on iguanas. Female iguanas spend half the year producing eggs. They get very cranky and are very uncomfortable during the last three weeks. Their hormones rage and their personalities change for months. My female would whip her tail and even bit me once during this period. I could tell she was miserable. And they can get egg bound even if you do everything right and provide a proper laying tub (a huge Rubbermaid tote).

My female would have died if she was not cut open to remove the eggs. After this event the vet recommended that she be spayed. Surgeries on iguanas are done routinely. Female and male iguanas are "fixed" regularily. Veterinary experience in dealing with iguanas is light years ahead of dealing with chameleons. There is so much more information out there on just what blood panels for iguanas should look like. All the initial knowledge regarding MBD was learned from iguanas. My vet does all the treatment for a huge iguana rescue ranch in my area. He does major surgery and diagnosis of conditions constantly. There are vets doing similar things all over the country. Iguanas are probably the most abandoned and abused reptile out there. Bad for the individual but it has allowed the veterinary science of their treatment to make tremendous advances.

There really isn't the same thing going on with chameleons anywhere. My comment on wishing that some female chameleons could be fixed was just a wish that females who are not kept by breeders or people who wish to breed them could be spared the hardship and risk of producing eggs. My female iguana's quality of daily life has greatly increased since she was fixed. She is "happy" every day and I believe she enjoys every day. A year and a half ago I had a female chameleon that was packed with an above average number of eggs. She was eggbound and nothing the vet and I tried could get her to lay the eggs. So I paid for the surgery to open her up and remove the eggs. This surgery on Iguanas is not that risky. Very risky for a chameleon though. She survived the operation but died about a week later. It's just not done that often so the technique is not perfected.

Just wishful thinking Kinyonga. Along with the wishful thinking that as much were known about the medical treatment of chameleons as is known about dogs, cats or iguanas....

I ask my vet (Dr. Alfonso) about spaying my female chameleon and he said that he would not recommend it that it would probably kill her so we are keeping the lower temps and less food. So far so good.....unless down the road I decide to mate her.

He's right....

Your vet is right. Just the anesthesia is risky for chameleons. Less is known about the effects of it on chameleons. It's routinely used on iguanas with no ill effect. It's way safer to do what we can to minimize the effects of egg production on a female cham. That's why my thinking was truly wishful.

Back
Top Bottom