My cham is acting weird!!

JP84

Hi,im new and happy to be here!! My 4 1/2 month old vailed cham was very active eating gutload crickets and meal worms,now the past 5 days hes been resting his head on the branches all day,i havent seen it eat but atleast he drinks water,im worried cause i got to close to it and dont want anything to happen,so here we go,is there anything i can do to help him out so he can be happy and normal???

Attachments

• 15387745992901812078140.jpg
    15387745992901812078140.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 206
If you fill this form in you will recieve better and more accurate advice

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
4 1/2 month old Male Vailed Chameleon in my care for 3 1/2 months!

I pick him up every morning and take him outside for morning sun bath!

I offer him crickets and meal worms!he has been eating only 3 mealworms a day no crickets for some reason,i try 4 times a day,and feed crickets lettuce only!

Not sure what calcium brand they dust the crickets at Petco!

I have a spray water bottle,i mist 4 to 5 times a day,and yes he put his mouth against the tip of the spray bottle to drink every time!

Droppings a lil brownishs pretty solid,and no never been check for parasites!

He always used to be very active moving and eating with no problems!

I have a 4 feet by 2 feet wood enclosure with each wall been screen beside the back wall wich is wood!

For lighting i have a Zoo Med 100W Daylight Blue reptile bulb,wich i put on at 7am till 630pm or 7pm everyday!

81to 84F during day 75 76F at night, and have a Zilla temperature and humidity reader!

Humidity between 80 and 90%,watering the enclosure r to 5 times a day!

Yes using live plant,Crape Myrtle (Acoma) small tree!

Cage is on my dining room,wich we dont really use but yes high trafic mo fans or vents but we have a window wich we have cracked opened,and the top of cage is 4feet from floor!!!

And im from Philadelphia!

You NEED a uvb bulb and a basking bulb ASAP, what height is the cage? Lettuce is a horrible gutload, basically water and no nutrients. The daily handling might be a little much. What’s the ambient temp? Humidity is way too high

You need more branches everywhere at every level of the cage (make sure most are horizontal). Get some live chameleon safe plants to drape across parts of the branches to create hiding spots, too

He needs more calcium than the dusting the crickets come with. He is getting metabolic bone disease form low calcium in his diet.
Follow this care sheet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Start this supplement schedule "Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."

Thank you guys very much,I’m going to be on point with my lil guy,I can’t even imaging anything happening to him I am so attached to the lil guy that I’ll be getting everything he needs to be healthy and happy!!!
Chameleonforums.com is the best thing that ever happened to me and him,thank u for worrying and helping me to take care of him better!
I’ll keep you posted!!!!Thanks!!!

UPDATE: Went to local petshop and got him a couple things......
Oh and powder calcium too,just forgot to add it in the pic,thank u guys again!!!!

Attachments

• 20181006_112828.jpg
    20181006_112828.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 189
You NEED a uvb bulb and a basking bulb ASAP, what height is the cage? Lettuce is a horrible gutload, basically water and no nutrients. The daily handling might be a little much. What’s the ambient temp? Humidity is way too high

Attachments

• 20181006_112828.jpg
    20181006_112828.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 157
When you get a littl more cash flow, go online and buy and Arcadia 6% uvb linear bulb and fixture. Did you get gutload, more branches, plants, humidity and temp gauges, or a multivitamin? Is your calcium with or without D3 (you need both), make sure both are phosphorus free.

When you get a littl more cash flow, go online and buy and Arcadia 6% uvb linear bulb and fixture. Did you get gutload, more branches, plants, humidity and temp gauges, or a multivitamin? Is your calcium with or without D3 (you need both), make sure both are phosphorus free.
Ok calcium powder doesnt have D3 neither does the calcium liquid and both are phosphorus free,later on today ill get the more plants and branches,i got another gauge for temp and humidity im going to need gutloads and multi vitamins but i should be getting that later on today or maybe tomorrow,anything for him!!!!
Question??? Isnt that 6% linear uvb linear bulb in the pic i just post? If not ill try to find it!!

Ok calcium powder doesnt have D3 neither does the calcium liquid and both are phosphorus free,later on today ill get the more plants and branches,i got another gauge for temp and humidity im going to need gutloads and multi vitamins but i should be getting that later on today or maybe tomorrow,anything for him!!!!
Question??? Isnt that 6% linear uvb linear bulb in the pic i just post? If not ill try to find it!!
It’s a compact fluorescent 5%, which is better than nothing, but a t5HO linear fixture and bulb is the way to go! Get a phosphorus free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, along with either fresh fruits and veggies or Mazuri Better Bug Gutload, Repashy Bug Burger, or Cricket Crack as a gutload

It’s a compact fluorescent 5%, which is better than nothing, but a t5HO linear fixture and bulb is the way to go! Get a phosphorus free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, along with either fresh fruits and veggies or Mazuri Better Bug Gutload, Repashy Bug Burger, or Cricket Crack as a gutload
Thank you we'll do,ill keep posting updates and pics so you guys can see how happy my cham gets,thanks again for your help,much appreciate it!!!

Back
Top Bottom