MY CHAM HAS BEEN PREGNANT FOR JUST OVER A MONTH

Victator

Hi guys, I have a few questions- here's some back story first--- so my chameleon is a female I discovered and is pregnant with her first non-fertile clutch! so excited and I have a proper lay bin in her enclosure that is 12in wide by 12in deep with moist play sand with curtains surrounding her cage. I'm very cautious and nervous about dealing with her being egg bound an almost terrified especially since she's almost been a month and week long since she started showing her colors. I've held off on making a vet appointment just because she still runs to my hand for food and is still hunting around after eating 15 crickets. she does cruise around the bottom of her enclosure like she's investigating but has made absolutely no attempt at digging and that makes me nervous, but then she's still a little spit fire eating a ton and doing acrobats around her cage ahah idk what to make of it and I cant really find anything stating clearly how long they should be pregnant for, or if anyone else's cham has had this behavior! please help! xoxo

She'll slow down, bask more, and may eat less as her eggs mature. Spying on her is sort of like watching a pot about to boil...they never do. BTW, your cham was never pregnant. She IS gravid. Big diff.

If you have done everything correctly, and it sounds like you have, you have nothing to worry about. Calm down, Do not concern yourself with binding until she starts showing signs of going down hill.

However I do think you are over feeding her which can ultimately lead to over active egg production. This will over tax her body for nutrients putting her into a weaker state and making it harder to lay the clutch.

She'll slow down, bask more, and may eat less as her eggs mature. Spying on her is sort of like watching a pot about to boil...they never do. BTW, your cham was never pregnant. She IS gravid. Big diff.
What’s the difference between pregnant and gravid?

Not actually answering this but they seem the same to me. Technically if they are saying gravid is with eggs does that mean Jackson's are considered pregnant not gravid or is this just a term we use with reptiles in general and it must be treated as law.

Agreed but Carlton says there is a “big diff” so I’m curious what that is.

I’ve always just thought they meant pregnant but when you are further along in the pregnancy you become gravid. Meaning “heavy with children or close to birthing.”

Agreed but Carlton says there is a “big diff” so I’m curious what that is.

I’ve always just thought they meant pregnant but when you are further along in the pregnancy you become gravid. Meaning “heavy with children or close to birthing.”

Found on internet.

Gravid is a synonym of pregnant.

As adjectives the difference between gravid and pregnant
is that gravid is pregnant; now used chiefly of egg-laying animals, or metaphorically while pregnant is (not comparable) carrying developing offspring within the body.

So the term is synonymous with being pregnant with eggs so that means off that definition that Jackson's do not become gravid. Haha

I have a jacksons giving birth right now she gave birth to one this morning and I haven't found any more and I stripped her cage looking. Is it possible for her to have only one her first time if not could she be impacted during live birth and can I do anything to help? Please let me know ASAP! ! !

@Nate&murry Give her time with as little disruption as possible they can give birth over the course of a day sometimes two. Clutches vary in size but only one would be very rare. Six to twelve is a more average clutch size for Jackson's. They can stay with her for 24 hours safely if necessary rather than disturb her too often.

Found on internet.

Gravid is a synonym of pregnant.

As adjectives the difference between gravid and pregnant
is that gravid is pregnant; now used chiefly of egg-laying animals, or metaphorically while pregnant is (not comparable) carrying developing offspring within the body.

Mammals have a living connection and provide nutrition to the fetus via placenta. Egg layers don't.

Mammals have a living connection and provide nutrition to the fetus via placenta. Egg layers don't.

I’m not sure what you mean. Eggs have a placenta as well. Also there is non mammals that also have live birth. There are also 2 mammals that lay eggs. Duck billed platapus and the spiny anteater.

JacksJill
She is now on day 5 she has had one other still born for a total of 2 baby's she is still pushing. Should I be worried about impaction???

JacksJill
She is now on day 5 she has had one other still born for a total of 2 baby's she is still pushing. Should I be worried about impaction???
I don’t think impaction is the word your looking for but regardless yes you should be worried, probably past time to go to the vet!

She had another still born lastnight for a new total of 3. 2stills one live can't afford the vet I called everyone in my area n just to walk in to the vet it will be $175 n then $150 for a check up any treatment from there will start at $250 so any at home remedies? I already put her in a warm bath she turns nice n bright green so she enjoyed it but no more baby's.

I couldn't begin to tell you what to do without X-rays and an oxytocin injection. X-rays to tell you if she has anymore babies or just slugs. Oxytocin, calcium and fluids might be given by the vet to encourage stronger contractions and give her the strength to deliver. All you can do from home is try to hydrate her and have hornworms and calcium powder ready for her when she is willing to eat again. I wouldn't stress her by putting her in water, hand spray her or do the shower method.

Back
Top Bottom