my cham digging

pamsywamsy1234

I put a tub in viv with organic soil and sand, she has dug a tunnel right to the botom of the tub which took 2 days then she left that and was digging all round her viv i was advised to take sand out of viv but i didnt want to disturb her so i was gunna take sand out when she laid eggs ut she diggin all over the viv any ideas please. :)

Did you see how many she laid? Don't disturb her till she goes back up to the branches - just let her get on with it! I know how difficult it is not to watch - but she does know what she's doing. I was soooo stressed when Lily laid, but she just took it all in her stride.

Don't know how to help you really.:( Just one thing - when your cham goes back up into her plants, you could try replacing the dirt in the tub with damp sand - or add another tub with damp sand in (think building sandcastles!) The sand needs to be damp enough to hold it's shape or the tunnel/hole will not be stable and may collapse on her. Maybe she prefers to lay in sand rather than dirt. Lily ignored her tub of sand and laid her eggs in the dirt/sand mix tub. When she was covering up after laying she then decided to scratch around in both!!

I just looked as she was up the branches and i was wrong she aint laid her eggs grrrrrrrrr never mind i will do as u suggest and fill her tub up again thank you lilly xx

I believe there are directions in the Kitty blog, however this is how I do it.

Get a plastic shoe box (I prefer clear so I can see in). Fill it about 2/3rds of the way with vermiculite that you can get really cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. If you have a choice get the bigger chunks rather then the little stuff. Wet it down until when you squeeze a handful you don't get any more then one drip. Tamp it down a bit then make a thumb indentation in it. Lay each egg into an indention. Try to keep the egg in the same orientation as it was laid. Put 2 small holes in the top of the lid, one at each end. Cover and place in a secure closet. Check temps in the closet to make sure they stay at a steady temperature. 72-75 should be fine. It is ok to check on them a couple times a month. Moisture may accumulate around the sides a little. If there is too much where it causes drips, leave the lid off for a couple hours to dry out. I like to leave a corner of the box without an egg so I can pinch the vermiculite every month to make sure it is still damp. If it is too dry to the touch, you can add a bit of water. I take a medicine dropper (like you use for children, the fat kind) and add some water around the edges. Don't drip water directly on the eggs. Put the top on again and check in a week. At about 6 months start checking every week. Eggs start to sweat when they are getting ready. You will see some cutting on one end before the baby emerges. It may take a couple of days for the baby to come out. If it has the yolk sac still attached just leave it until it falls off. The baby needs the yolk nutrition. When you see the neonate walking around you can remove it and put it into your "nursery".

Have fun!

she did it she had 69 eggs iv done as uv said i dont think they will be fertile but i dont know her history iv only had her 6 weeks:D

Back
Top Bottom