My Cham Camilo

Chris_cham

Hello I am new to this and this morning I found my chameleon skin thing and I thought it was nothing at first but more and more it started to to worse and it finally came off but on his head their is like flesh (but no bleeding) and I would like to know what to do and what it is.

Please do a full husbandry review:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Looks like a burn from the basking light.
It would need some flamazine type cream on it to prevent infection if it's a burn.

Hold your hand under the basking light inside the cage as close possible....do you want to move your hand away because of the heat?

Also, you will want to get a long linear tube light for UVB.

Ok so it looks like an open wound. You will want to get a cream to put on it from the vets. I believe you can use Manuka honey as well @Beman @MissSkittles @AmandaS @JoXie411 are more experienced so may be able to help out more.

I’m going to say looking at your set up it’s most likely a burn, but other may correct my on this.
What is your basking temp? The general rule of thumb is if it is too uncomfortable for you to hold your hand at the mesh then it will be too hot for your Cham.

I would highly recommend getting a husbandry review as I can see your uvb is off

It is most certainly a burn. Your vet can prescribe silver sulfadiazine cream to use on it. Manuka honey is also good.
You should fill out that husbandry form above to get your husbandry dialed in so your baby can live a comfortable life...
I do suggest you take your cham to a specialized reptile vet who has experience with chameleons so they can take a look at it.

Please fill this out

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Is their any alternatives to a vet, we can’t really afford a vet right now
Unfortunately it is not just the burn that will need to be treated. But the enclosure needs changes specifically to the UVB light.

If you can fill out the form that was posted for you we can make other recommendations based on your enclosure and the husbandry you are providing.

Please fill this out

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Please fill this out

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
- veiled Chamaeleon,male,a year and 3 months,for his whole life
-3 times a week more or less
-bananas,apples,crickets, every other day, yes
-repti calcium with D3 every 2 days
-an dipper, every day, yes he drinks when he finished eating
-his poop is brown and he’s pee is white, no he has not been tested
-no he was perfectly healthy until now

-this is the cage, Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Large, 18 x 18 x 36-Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027J0VZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_j8J3Fb5J4J3JQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
-it is shown in the pictures to 8:00am to 9:00pm
-highest is 80 and lowest is 74,no I do not use overnight temps
-53, misting with a bottle,a little temperature thing which can tell the temperature and humidity
- yes live plants, umbrella tree
-in my room,no it’s just me, around 5 feet
-Houston Tx
-their is a burn

-bananas,apples,crickets, every other day, yes
-repti calcium with D3 every 2 days
-an dipper, every day, yes he drinks when he finished eating

-this is the cage, Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Large, 18 x 18 x 36-Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027J0VZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_j8J3Fb5J4J3JQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
-it is shown in the pictures to 8:00am to 9:00pm
-highest is 80 and lowest is 74,no I do not use overnight temps
-53, misting with a bottle,a little temperature thing which can tell the temperature and humidity
- yes live plants, umbrella tree
-Houston Tx
-their is a burn
Supplements should be calcium WITHOUT D3 every day, every 2 weeks multivitamin WITH D3
Are you feeding the Cham fruit or just gutloading with it?
You should get him tested for parasites at least once a year
Cage size is MINIMUM 24x24x48
Light schedule should be 12 hours on, 12 off
Can you hold your hand on the screen below the heat lamp without burning yourself? If not, it is too hot for the cham

Supplements should be calcium WITHOUT D3 every day, every 2 weeks multivitamin WITH D3
Are you feeding the Cham fruit or just gutloading with it?
You should get him tested for parasites at least once a year
Cage size is MINIMUM 24x24x48
Light schedule should be 12 hours on, 12 off
Can you hold your hand on the screen below the heat lamp without burning yourself? If not, it is too hot for the cham
-Fruit and crickets
Thank y’all very very much this is so helpful

-bananas,apples,crickets, every other day, yes you should not be feeding your chameleon fruits and veggies, you should be feeding his bugs fruits and veggies. Also a variety of insects is best, he will really need more than just crickets.
-repti calcium with D3 every 2 daysHe should be getting a phosphorus free calcium with NO D3 on every feeding, and then twice a month (once every other week) a multivitamin with D3.
-an dipper, every day, yes he drinks when he finished eating do you mist his enclosure? You should be misting for several minutes in the morning and in the evening.

-this is the cage, Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Large, 18 x 18 x 36-Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027J0VZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_j8J3Fb5J4J3JQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 his enclosure is too small. The minimum size for a male is 24x24x48. He needs the xl reptibreeze.
-it is shown in the pictures to 8:00am to 9:00pm his lighting is incorrect. He needs a t5 5.0 long linear bulb. You will want your 5.0 bulb to 9 inches above your basking branch and for basking you will want a regular old fashioned incandescent bulb. Lift this off the screen few inches
-highest is 80 and lowest is 74,no I do not use overnight temps 80 is ok. He can safely have temps up to 85. But no more. I'm not sure how he can get a burn if his basking spot is only 80 though...
-53, misting with a bottle,a little temperature thing which can tell the temperature and humidity humidity should be between 30-50% during the day and then spike at night to 100%. Cool moist nights and warm dry days.
- yes live plants, umbrella tree I also see artificial leaves I think, which should be removed. You will ideally want only live plants.
-Houston Tx
-their is a burn as far as the burn goes. You really need to see a reptile vet so they can give antibiotics if necessary. If he gets an infection in his blood stream he likely wont survive it without vet intervention. as already stated, you should be able to hold your hand under the bulb without it hurting you. If it's too hot for you it is certainly too hot for him.
there's a few changes you should make to give him the best chance....
is he keeping his eyes closed during the day?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom