My camillion hates me!!!

Hi y'all, I'm very excited I actually have people to talk too that can help me. My husband thinks I over react to everything when it comes to "Camie" that's my male 8 month old veiled camillion. I studied alot about camillions before I even attempted to purchase one. I've always wanted one but I thought they were extremely delicate reptile and I would be devastated if anything happened to it especially because of something I did wrong. First I was told the Camillion was a female and later figured out it was actually a male. Which I heard were more aggressive. I know they are not the type of pet that likes to be held. But I was told with lots of patience they can be tamed. I can't even open his cage without a attitude or him trying to sway over and try to bite me! He opens his mouth at me not in the basking area but when I come in the room. He will usually turn a darker green and will get polka dots all over! I try not to even get my hands close to him so I've been trying to take him out of his cage once a week for a deep cleaning but he is scary acting like he is waiting to strike me when he gets a chance. So I usually get him out with a long perch stick and I can cohurse him up on it. Then he sits in his own big special tree I have for him by the window until I'm done. Will he ever warm up to me? Do I need to try and hand feed him first? I dont want to stress him out and he gets sick and dies. Can someone help???? I just put him in a Extra Lg deluxe Led screen cage from repti. How often can I hold or perch my camillion without stressing him? Am I going about it the right way? Or do I give up and accept it that I may never be friends with my lil guy and he may never tame???

I'm not sure any of us here have ever kept a camillion. You're a pioneer on the forefront of camillion husbandry.

In all seriousness, there's always a chance he never warms up to you. Some people can't handle their veileds without bleeding. Many others warm up to at least tolerate them. There are some things you can do to work towards him trusting you. Hand feeding, slow movements, try not to stare at him, be chill and relaxed(not anxious!), slow progress each day getting closer to him, and trying to get him to eventually take a step towards your hand. Takes time.

Let's see if some of our great veiled keepers have anything to add; @jannb @Beman @JoXie411 @kinyonga ummm I'm sorry I'm probably forgetting a few...

Hi there and welcome to the forum. There is no "taming them" but there is building trust so they know that you will not hurt them. At 8 months old he will be a bit harder to work with IMO. He is now starting to hit maturity. The flashing of the dots and bright colors is telling you to back off. Veileds can get cage aggressive as well. I would continue using the stick to move him if that is what he has been taught. But you can start hand feeding him by opening the door and holding the feeder between your fingers so he has to come to you. Do not put your hand in his cage. That he will take as a threat. Here is a link to my blog on trust building. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

As was already said by @jamest0o0 ...he may never warm up to you. I've had a couple that would run down the branch to bite me if I put my hand in their cage and then others that would come willingly out onto my hand. They are all individuals!

Sometimes using food to get them used to you works...sometimes it doesn't....but it's worth a try.

As @Beman said...they can become cage aggressive. It's their territory.

You've been given some good advice...
Good luck with him.

As was already said by @jamest0o0 ...he may never warm up to you. I've had a couple that would run down the branch to bite me if I put my hand in their cage and then others that would come willingly out onto my hand. They are all individuals!

Sometimes using food to get them used to you works...sometimes it doesn't....but it's worth a try.

As @Beman said...they can become cage aggressive. It's their territory.

You've been given some good advice...
Good luck with him.
Thank u so much. So u think he looks the right weight and healthy? It's hard for me b/c I also have a 1yr old male bearded dragon that is in the same room together but on opposite sides of the room. Dino my beardie is a little chunky so I try not to compare them but it's hard. With the room being as big as a lg walk in closet. I keep the air conditioning vent closed and a towel under the door to keep everything nice and tempted right.

Welcome to the group! :) you have just become a proud parent of a pet that will possibly hate you for everything you do for them. Enjoy the pain like the rest of us do. :D

Until trust is earned on his terms, you are a huge predator that he is going to try and hide from...lol... frustrating sometimes, but their brain doesn't have the abstract reasoning & compassion ours does, enjoy your chameleon!!

Back
Top Bottom