My cage Setup

JDMKRUNK

Hi guys, Im new to the forums and im glad i joined because i see a lot of experienced people giving others tips etc. Just wanted to know if this is a good setup. I had a Veiled Chameleon but it died recently :( Im planning on getting another one soon when the Reptile Show hits here in LA. Tell me what you think of my setup.

Im getting a new Ficus tree once I get my new Cham :) this is how it looks now. The pics below is how i had it when he was alive :(

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 119
It will look good when you get some new foilage in there! If you don't mind me asking, why did your Veild die? The reason I am asking if it had a parasite or something you have to be careful introducing a new chameleon into the same environment. Also, when was the last time you changed out your uvb bulb? You will want to replace that if it has been longer than 6 months.

He suddenly stopped eating and drinking water, I tried hand feeding him and also giving him water. It was to late to take him to the vet :(. Im kinda scared now of getting another one as you said it might had a parasite but i wasn't sure. Im not willing to risk a chameleon to go through the same thing :/
Ive changed the UVB every 4-6 months.

How old was he and how long was he sick for? He looks large in the pics so I know he was an adult. I did not mean to scare you. That is just a one case scenerio. If you do not know the cause of death though and he was never checked for parasites, I would thoroughly disinfect the cage to be on the safe side, before you put another chameleon in there. Search threads for how to safely disinfect a cage or start a new thread and inquire how to do so. I am not sure how to do so or what to use.

I wasn't quite sure how old he was, all i knew is that he was an adult. My friend gave it to me. My plan was to clean and disinfect the cage before getting a new one. Same goes with the dirt in the bottom. He started to act strange for 4 days straight, but i didnt hit me until he didnt eat or drink.

I bet it will look gray once you get a new tree! Like mentioned above it should be cleaned. I would suggest removing the dirt from the bottom... There is no need for it, your chameleon will eat it, mold and junk can breed in it and a bare bottom makes clean up a little easier! I lost a Cham and it took me awhile to get a new one! Don't be too hard on yourself about it! You'll be happy once you get it! Jann has some veileds for sale on here that are awesome! Check out the classified section.

Yeah i guess i wont put dirt anymore. I wanted to make it look like a rainforest for him and to feel comfortable. He would go down and walk around the dirt lol he liked it a lot. Im looking for a Blue Bar Ambilobe soon :D but this time ill probably get 3 ficus trees in there so he can move around a lot more with vines. So im assuming i have to replace the corks pads as well on the sides of my tank?

I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me that they might harvest mold.. Did you put them up to stop reflection? Sunshine Chameleons has some blue bar ambilobes for sale p! I bought one from them a month ago and his colors are killer!

They seem fine to me, but i wouldnt want to risk it. I put them to stop reflection and to put vines so he can grab or sit instead of being on the ficus tree. Really?! i gotta check it out! Gratz on getting one! :p Thanks for letting me know! :)

They seem fine to me, but i wouldnt want to risk it. I put them to stop reflection and to put vines so he can grab or sit instead of being on the ficus tree. Really?! i gotta check it out! Gratz on getting one! :p Thanks for letting me know! :)

Others might chime it that know more about cork! I do know that you can buy suction cups to hold your vines in places on the glass if you decide to ditch the cork! :) biffle also sells baby ambilobes right now! He raises Parsonii so you know he is a badass! :)

Sorry i didnt mean to put "VINES" i meant sticks XD lol he really didn't have vines in there. Wow what a fail I made there lol Biffle? lol man im missing out right now lol. Its posted on the forums correct?

Omg lol fail, i meant "Sticks" not "Vines". Hahahah wow made a mistake there, at first I was wondering what you were talking about lol. He didn't have any vines in there lol he was a heavy little guy so he needed something more durable for his weight. Biffle? where can i find these posts? Is it on the forums? Sorry, Im new to all this.

I recommend cleaning the cage and anything in it that you used with your other veiled with 30 volume proroxide....the kind you buy at a beauty supply store such as Sally's. I mix it 50/50 with water and spray it down and let it set about 10 minutes and then rinse well several time. If you have a steam cleaner use that. I also allow mine to set in the sun for a few hours after cleaning. The proroxide will kill any perasites that could be lingering around. I would also leave the bottom bare. Chameleon can and often do eat everything especially veileds.

Last edited:
I recommend cleaning the cage and anything in it that you used with your other veiled with 30 volume proroxide....the kind you buy at a beauty supply store such as Sally's. I mix it 50/50 with water and spray it down and let it set about 10 minutes and then rinse well several time. If you have a steam cleaner use that. I also allow mine to set in the sun for a few hours after cleaning. The proroxide will kill any perasites that could be lingering around. I would also leave the bottom bare. Chameleon can and often do eat everything especially veileds.

Absolutely Jannb! I was going to suggest the same, the only thing Id suggest different is use a store bought (brown bottle) this is 6% which is needed for cell wall destruction. If you go with hair stuff, the kind at Sally's, use 20 volume clear and don't dilute. The 20 volume is 6% hydrogen peroxide. The KEY part is 10 min!!! No less. Actually 15 min is best for (use as a bactericidal) this concentration. This is the absolute time needed to penetrate/oxidize the cell wall of any bacteria.

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it! I just cant wait to get another one but still feel bad for my other one. (AKA YAKISOSO) :(

Back
Top Bottom