my baby vieled chameleon doesn't eat, what should I do ??????

awesomesucram

I have a two month old baby veiled chameleon given by my dads friend( it has a special white head, legs and arms).
I just got it yesterday and I filled it's house with around 20-30 little crickets.
I only saw it eat twice, once by hunting itself and once by me feeding a cricket with chopsticks. I tried to feed it with chopsticks for a few more times but it showed no interest in the cricket and simply turned away. The crickets which are set free in the cage are all at the bottom and my chameleon wouldn't go to the bottom to eat it, it always stays on the top of the branches in my cage.

I really like this little creature and I am very worried about it, can anyone tell me how to make it eat?? I had been trying to feed him all day....

PLEASE HELP ME :(((((

THANKYOU VERY MUCH

You can try cup feeding.

put a cup up near where he basks and put the crickets in there.

Ive also found that chams sometimes get overwhelmed when there are alot of bugs, so try removing some.

If you just got him, he could just be settling into his new home.

What are you keeping him in?

what lights are you using?

and it sounds like yo uhavea a translucent veiled.

Are you using a basking light for ONE of the TWO necessary lights? My crickets always climb to the top of the screen and head to toward the basking light where my cham sits and picks them off.

You can try cup feeding.

put a cup up near where he basks and put the crickets in there.

Ive also found that chams sometimes get overwhelmed when there are alot of bugs, so try removing some.

If you just got him, he could just be settling into his new home.

What are you keeping him in?

what lights are you using?

and it sounds like yo uhavea a translucent veiled.

THanks
I am keeping it in a glass cage for reptiles and I am using UVA+UVB lights.
but wouldnt the crickets jump out of the cup if I do cup feeding ? If I use a tall cup would the chameleon still see it?
I took a few pics here

28062012700.jpg

28062012698.jpg

28062012701.jpg

28062012702.jpg

yup you definitely have a translucent veiled, and very nice one at that.

Personally, we all use screen cages.

ANd you should remove al lthat stuff on teh bottom of the cage, if he accidently ingests it, it can cause an impaction.

Also, what is your basking temp at>

what brand of bulb are you using?

Once you remove the substrate, leave a bare floor.

You need more foliage and branches in there, towards the middle and top to make him feel comfortable, and provide him with hiding spots and mutliple basking areas.

as for cup feeding- if you use a big enough cup that they cant jump out, you simply place the lip of it just below his baskng branch, so he can look down into it. it might take a few days for him to figure it out, but most do.

yup you definitely have a translucent veiled, and very nice one at that.

Personally, we all use screen cages.

ANd you should remove al lthat stuff on teh bottom of the cage, if he accidently ingests it, it can cause an impaction.

Also, what is your basking temp at>

what brand of bulb are you using?

Once you remove the substrate, leave a bare floor.

You need more foliage and branches in there, towards the middle and top to make him feel comfortable, and provide him with hiding spots and mutliple basking areas.

as for cup feeding- if you use a big enough cup that they cant jump out, you simply place the lip of it just below his baskng branch, so he can look down into it. it might take a few days for him to figure it out, but most do.
I am not sure what brand those lights are but they are not cheap, I got them at 20bucks each.
For cup feeding, I just placed a plastic cup with 6 little crickets below his basking branch, do you think I placed it in the right spot? It just never go down to the ground level..
Thanks again :) you are awesome
28062012704.jpg

i would get it off the ground, they dont go to the ground much.

and if you spent that much on a basking bulb, you spent too much.

you cna use a regular house bulb (not the coil ones) for basking.

we use reptiglo or reptisun uvb bulbs.

and can you tel lme your basking temps?

i would get it off the ground, they dont go to the ground much.

and if you spent that much on a basking bulb, you spent too much.

you cna use a regular house bulb (not the coil ones) for basking.

we use reptiglo or reptisun uvb bulbs.

and can you tel lme your basking temps?

so should I hang the plastic cup on top of the leaves?
I only checked the basking temp once and it was 32-33 degrees, is it fine ?

How would lowering the temp benefit them?
By the way, I added more branches in the cage but it always hang upside down on the ceiling of the cage as they always seek for higher land. What should I do to prevent them from hanging upside down? I know it is very dangerous when it hangs upside down as the ceiling of the cage is super hot from the UV lighting and it might fall.

add more branches and vines.

lowering the temps keeps their digestion lower, and because they cant always tolerate temps, not to mention its hard to regulate temps in a glass cage.

Back
Top Bottom