My baby panther had to have his tongue amputated

So many people have said tongs are dangerous why would you try them today? It’s not a very smart choice to do tongs if a lot of people said there’s been horror stories and it’s not good. Also how old is your son if he’s under 10 I wouldn’t recommend letting him do anything with the chameleon without supervision

Thankyou for your reply. I wasn’t aware tongs were an issue. I asked hundreds of questions when I bought him and nobody ever told me tongs were bad even when I bought them from the reptile centre. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was hoping for help from this thread not I told you so’s .

Thankyou for your reply. I wasn’t aware tongs were an issue. I asked hundreds of questions when I bought him and nobody ever told me tongs were bad even when I bought them from the reptile centre. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was hoping for help from this thread not I told you so’s .

These are not told you so’s they are people saying this is dangerous don’t do it. Then about 5 or more people said not to use tongs and you did so and kinda ignored us. Look I don’t want to argue alot of people who have years of experience said not to use tongs I would just listen to them. As for your son I would watch over him if he’s younger and doing something with your chameleon. Some great websites for you too learn is chameleonacademy.com
And yt neptune the chameleon. If your son likes yt and you want him to be able to care for your chameleon tell him to watch Neptune the chameleon.

These are not told you so’s they are people saying this is dangerous don’t do it. Then about 5 or more people said not to use tongs and you did so and kinda ignored us. Look I don’t want to argue alot of people who have years of experience said not to use tongs I would just listen to them. As for your son I would watch over him if he’s younger and doing something with your chameleon. Some great websites for you too learn is chameleonacademy.com
And yt neptune the chameleon. If your son likes yt and you want him to be able to care for your chameleon tell him to watch Neptune the chameleon.
I understand but I didn’t know tong feeding was bad before the accident. I found this forum after the accident. I was going on the vets advice to tong feed him the worms and crickets to help him feed again. My son is 9 so hopefully will be really interested in Neptune the Chameleon. This is helpful thankyou

I understand but I didn’t know tong feeding was bad before the accident. I found this forum after the accident. I was going on the vets advice to tong feed him the worms and crickets to help him feed again. My son is 9 so hopefully will be really interested in Neptune the Chameleon. This is helpful thankyou
Your welcome your son will really like neptune the chameleon I feel like.I’m 14 and love neptune . Yea I understand that the incident was after u knew they were bad I bought a ton and I mean a ton of fake plants before I knew they were bad about 100 bucks worth but you did feed tongs today after people had told you.

Last edited:
Your welcome your son will really like neptune the chameleon I feel like I’m 14 and love neptune . Yea I understand that the incident was after u knew they were bad I bought a ton and I mean a ton of fake plants before I knew they were bad about 100 bucks worth but you did feed tongs today after people had told you.
Ok, OP has been now told about tong feeding and has learned. We can’t go back and undo what has been done, so let’s please be helpful and supportive. :)

Ok, OP has been now told about tong feeding and has learned. We can’t go back and undo what has been done, so let’s please be helpful and supportive. :)
I’m sorry and your right I need to be supportive but that’s hard if they ignore 4 people saying that’s dangerous 🙁 . I was just trying to state that tong feeding is dangerous because he or she didn’t obviously care if she tryed it after 4 people said this is bad. 😃

As yoda is refusing to eat today, we have tried meal worms and calc worms on a tong and in a bowl, and a legless locust right in front of his nose. He seems uninterested and turns away. Would anyone recommend holding him and opening his mouth to get them in? I am just so worried that he’s given up. I know this is really extreme I just need him to eat. We are on day 3. Also please excuse my nativity this is my first reptile. Thanks
Not to worry too much as they can go quite awhile without eating. Traumatic events often take awhile to heal.

I’m sorry and your right I need to be supportive but that’s hard if they ignore 4 people saying that’s dangerous 🙁 . I was just trying to state that tong feeding is dangerous because he or she didn’t obviously care if she tryed it after 4 people said this is bad. 😃
Mountain dragon, I have not tried tong feeding since starting this thread, I don’t know where you are getting this from. My vet actually told me to tong feed after the operation. Please you are being rude not helpful.

Mountain dragon, I have not tried tong feeding since starting this thread, I don’t know where you are getting this from. My vet actually told me to tong feed after the operation. Please you are being rude not helpful.
I think Mountain Dragon got it from you.

In post#18 of this thread, you said:
As yoda is refusing to eat today, we have tried meal worms and calc worms on a tong and in a bowl, and a legless locust right in front of his nose. He seems uninterested and turns away. Would anyone recommend holding him and opening his mouth to get them in? I am just so worried that he’s given up. I know this is really extreme I just need him to eat. We are on day 3. Also please excuse my nativity this is my first reptile. Thanks
Perhaps you misspoke. 🤷‍♂️

IDK what happened at the vet; I wasn't there. It seems odd that a vet who just amputated a tongue damaged by tong-feeding would recommend/suggest tongue feeding, but there are tongs and there are tongs. 🤷‍♂️

My male has no tongue. Once they have no tongue there is no danger with tongs . However use the plastic or bamboo ones. If he has enough tongue to manipulate food to swallow he will learn to eat on his own. Mine has no tongue and I have to push the feeders way back into his mouth.
Don’t try to feed right away, he will be sore. If you need to force feed use “ bug juice “ blended bugs and ensure. Insects can hurt his fresh wound..

I have to run now but if you have questions please ask.

as a side note it has made him a very friendly Cham.

I think Mountain Dragon got it from you.

In post#18 of this thread, you said:

Perhaps you misspoke. 🤷‍♂️

IDK what happened at the vet; I wasn't there. It seems odd that a vet who just amputated a tongue damaged by tong-feeding would recommend/suggest tongue feeding, but there are tongs and there are tongs. 🤷‍♂️
Yea thankyou for putting it into words I didn’t know how to word it. That’s exactly what I thought

CasqueAbove said..."he has enough tongue to manipulate food to swallow he will learn to eat on his own. Mine has no tongue and I have to push the feeders way back into his mouth"....I've had exactly the opposite experience. When part of the tongue muscle was left, the chameleon struggled to adjust the remainder of the tongue comfortably in its throat and wouldn't eat. When the tongue was amputated at the end of the hyoid bone the chameleon could eat fine. Guess they are all different.

CasqueAbove said..."he has enough tongue to manipulate food to swallow he will learn to eat on his own. Mine has no tongue and I have to push the feeders way back into his mouth"....I've had exactly the opposite experience. When part of the tongue muscle was left, the chameleon struggled to adjust the remainder of the tongue comfortably in its throat and wouldn't eat. When the tongue was amputated at the end of the hyoid bone the chameleon could eat fine. Guess they are all different.
Yes there are no rules. I would guess it is very individual. Hopefully he will be able to eat on his own.

I hope your lil guy learns to eat soon! Poor little guy. No judgement here, we all learn by our mistakes because there’s lots of horribly wrong information being passed around even by vets and keepers and breeders. It’s not your fault you were told wrong.

Tongs are a moot point now as the tongue is already damaged but as mentioned above use plastic or wooden ones as you don’t want him to bite down on them and damage his teeth.
You can sometimes get them started drinking and introduce a feeder insect into their open mouth and jump start them eating that way. Force feeding is an option but has risks and they may not want to eat any other way as they can be lazy. What ever you do follow the time table set by your vet and call them with your concerns.

My male has no tongue. Once they have no tongue there is no danger with tongs . However use the plastic or bamboo ones. If he has enough tongue to manipulate food to swallow he will learn to eat on his own. Mine has no tongue and I have to push the feeders way back into his mouth.
Don’t try to feed right away, he will be sore. If you need to force feed use “ bug juice “ blended bugs and ensure. Insects can hurt his fresh wound..

Thanks casque, this is really helpful. He’s still refusing to eat, we’ve got bug juice but uninterested, I’ve tried getting his mouth open to syringe it in but he’s refusing. We are on day 5 of no food. Any tips on getting there mouth open? Thanks kelsey

Back
Top Bottom