My baby panther had to have his tongue amputated

Tongs are a moot point now as the tongue is already damaged but as mentioned above use plastic or wooden ones as you don’t want him to bite down on them and damage his teeth.
You can sometimes get them started drinking and introduce a feeder insect into their open mouth and jump start them eating that way. Force feeding is an option but has risks and they may not want to eat any other way as they can be lazy. What ever you do follow the time table set by your vet and call them with your concerns.
Thanks Jacksjill, he is refusing to open his mouth currently. But he is seeming more himself today. I’ll keep trying everything

Thanks casque, this is really helpful. He’s still refusing to eat, we’ve got bug juice but uninterested, I’ve tried getting his mouth open to syringe it in but he’s refusing. We are on day 5 of no food. Any tips on getting there mouth open? Thanks kelsey
I am out now but I will try to find a video of how I do it

See post #39 in this thread... @JacksJill has given you a way to do it..."You can sometimes get them started drinking and introduce a feeder insect into their open mouth and jump start them eating that way".

Forcing the mouth open is something you have to be very careful with or you'll end up with mouth injuries.

Back
Top Bottom