My baby chameleon

Guess you'll have to put up with all the cricket negatives you listed in your other thread! It's better than having a dead chameleon!

Your list...and possible solutions/reasons to put up with it...
they are smelly KEEP THE CONTAINER CLEAN AND SET UP PROPERLY AND IT WILL HELP.
They are jumpy and I don’t want them in my houser
IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY...WANT A CHAMELEON...TOLERATE BUGS.
They are noisy INLY THE MALES!
They also die very easily NIT IF THEY ARE KEPT PROPERLY
It’s like taking care of two pets NECESSARY EVIL THAT CONES WITH CHAMELEON KEEPING.
They aren’t very nutritional and they aren’t high in protein they also have a 3to1phosphorus to calcium ratio and we want the opposite for chameleons WHEN FED/GUTLOADED AND DUSTED PROPERLY THEY ARE A GOOD FOOD FOR CHAMELEONS.
There is just bugs that are way better superwroms and bsfl. NO REASON YOU CAN'T KEEP THESE TOO....MORE "PETS"!
ADD SILKWORMS, ROACHES, BEES, WASPS, OCCASIONALLY WAX WORMS, HORN WORMS, ETC.

Last edited:
Guess you'll have to put up with all the cricket negatives you listed in your other thread! It's better than having a dead chameleon!

It’s like taking care of two pets NECESSARY EVIL THAT CONES WITH CHAMELEON KEEPING.
They aren’t very nutritional and they aren’t high in protein they also have a 3to1phosphorus to calcium ratio and we want the opposite for chameleons WHEN FED/GUTLOADED AND DUSTED PROPERLY THEY ARE A GOOD FOOD FOR CHAMELEONS.
There is just bugs that are way better superwroms and bsfl. NO REASON YOU CAN'T KEEP THESE TOO....MORE "PETS"!
They aren’t better than bsfl and etc so just chill and second guy loaded and dusted bsfl are even more better than dusted gutlaoded crickets and I’m not feeding crickets bc they are better I am bc he likes them better

They aren’t better than bsfl and etc so just chill and second guy loaded and dusted bsfl are even more better than dusted gutlaoded crickets and I’m not feeding crickets bc they are better I am bc he likes them better

And crickets are 3to 1 phosphorus to calcium rate when on the other hand our 2 to 5 which is way better and add the dusting and gutloading and it’s way more nutrianal

I've only been keeping chameleons and many other reptiles for over 30 years....crickets are good because they can be fed/gutloaded/supplemented easily to correct the phos to calcium ratio and they are not hard to get or keep....and they are usually cheaper than other insects.

I know you're feeding them to your chameleon because he likes them better.

No matter what insects you feed him, you will have to keep some insects at your house or run to the pet store every second day. If you want to have a healthy chameleon, no matter which insects you feed him you will have to make sure they are healthy or you will soon have a sick chameleon.

Also bsfl have way more fiber, crickets are really high in protein which is not the best when on the other hand you have bsfl that are more half and half with protein and fat. Fat is very important for chams because it’s how animals store energy and when they are older they need more fat because they reproduce and other stuff. Since phophurous helps the body utilize and absorb calcium it is equally as important. So just bc you dust crickets they calcium doesn’t absorb as well because it’s low phophurous(ik not spelled right) in fact the balance of calcium and phosphorus is so important rather than one or the other. The fiber that insects produce is called chitin and that is not easily digested a cricket had a 12 percent rate of chitin and a bsfl has 6-7 which is way better to digest just bc chameleons may like them better doesn’t mean they are nesscarly the best and while they are a staple when even gutload and dusted the aren’t better than bsfl

I've only been keeping chameleons and many other reptiles for over 30 years....crickets are good because they can be fed/gutloaded/supplemented easily to correct the phos to calcium ratio and they are not hard to get or keep....and they are usually cheaper than other insects.

No matter what insects you feed him, you will have to keep some insects at your house or run to the pet store every second day. If you want to have a healthy chameleon, no matter which insects you feed him you will have to make sure they are healthy or you will soon have a sick chameleon.
Crickets have a high fiber content and this is due to there chitin. Bsfl have way lower fiber content bc of there chitin. Bsfl have A much higher level of minerals when in the other hand crickets don’t bc they don’t undergo metamorphosis and chameleons need high mineral levels which they can easily get from bsfl

I may be new to forums but trust me I know alotttt about what animals are made off and what is scientificly more better

Well...if crickets are so bad and that is what I used as the main part of the chameleons diet and my veiled females almost always live to be over 7 and the males even older and the necropsies don't show any issues but old age things when they die...I would think the crickets are ok. Of course, I fed them as many other insects s at could too...variety is important.

You said..."bsfl have way more fiber, crickets are really high in protein which is not the best when on the other hand you have bsfl that are more half and half with protein and fat"...
This site explains some things really well...
https://reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/
Lists protein, etc in various insects too.

You said..."Fat is very important for chams because it’s how animals store energy and when they are older they need more fat because they reproduce and other stuff"...when veiled chameleon females are too fat, they develop MBD, follicular stasis, eggbinding, often prolapse and produce huge clutches that use up nutrients they need to survive themselves and they die way too soon.
There's no doubt that chameleons need some fat to help store the vitamin D3 and the preformed vitamin A and other fat soluble vitamins and to use for vitellogenesis, etc....but too much is not good.

You said...."Since phophurous helps the body utilize and absorb calcium it is equally as important. So just bc you dust crickets they calcium doesn’t absorb as well because it’s low phophurous(ik not spelled right) in fact the balance of calcium and phosphorus is so important rather than one or the other"...it's the D3 that helps the calcium be absorbed into the chameleons system to keep its bones, muscles and other things strong. Vitamin A also plays a part. I'm not saying phos doesn't play apart as well...a bad balance of it steals calcium from the bones. Calcium, phos, D3 and vitamin A all need to be in balance.

There's more to those 4 nutrients than I've said here so far too.
D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. D3 produced from sunlight or UVB exposure shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will. Vitamin A comes in 2 forms...prEformed (retinyl, retinol, etc) and prOformed (from carotenoids). PrEformed can build up in the system and lead to issues and can also interfere with D3 and keep it from doing its job. Phos and calcium need to be in balance too so that calcium won't be in the wrong balance in the bones and muscles.

You said..."The fiber that insects produce is called chitin and that is not easily digested a cricket had a 12 percent rate of chitin and a bsfl has 6-7 which is way better to digest just bc chameleons may like them better doesn’t mean they are nesscarly the best and while they are a staple when even gutload and dusted the aren’t better than bsfl"...variety is the answer....feed many different feeders....just like humans eat a wide variety of things...so should chameleons IMHO.

Last edited:
Well...if crickets are so bad and that is what I used as the main part of the chameleons diet and my veiled females almost always live to be over 7 and the males even older and the necropsies don't show any issues but old age things when they die...I would think the crickets are ok. Of course, I fed them as many other insects s at could too...variety is important.

You said..."bsfl have way more fiber, crickets are really high in protein which is not the best when on the other hand you have bsfl that are more half and half with protein and fat"...
This site explains some things really well...
https://reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/
Lists protein, etc in various insects too.

You said..."Fat is very important for chams because it’s how animals store energy and when they are older they need more fat because they reproduce and other stuff"...when veiled chameleon females are too fat, they develop MBD, follicular stasis, eggbinding, often prolapse and produce huge clutches that use up nutrients they need to survive themselves and they die way too soon.
There's no doubt that chameleons need some fat to help store the vitamin D3 and the preformed vitamin A and other fat soluble vitamins and to use for vitellogenesis, etc....but too much is not good.

You said...."Since phophurous helps the body utilize and absorb calcium it is equally as important. So just bc you dust crickets they calcium doesn’t absorb as well because it’s low phophurous(ik not spelled right) in fact the balance of calcium and phosphorus is so important rather than one or the other"...it's the D3 that helps the calcium be absorbed into the chameleons system to keep its bones, muscles and other things strong. Vitamin A also plays a part. I'm not saying phos doesn't play apart as well...a bad balance of it steals calcium from the bones. Calcium, phos, D3 and vitamin A all need to be in balance.

There's more to those 4 nutrients than I've said here so far too.
D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. D3 produced from sunlight or UVB exposure shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will. Vitamin A comes in 2 forms...prEformed (retinyl, retinol, etc) and prOformed (from carotenoids). PrEformed can build up in the system and lead to issues and can also interfere with D3 and keep it from doing its job. Phos and calcium need to be in balance too so that calcium won't be in the wrong balance in the bones and muscles.

You said..."The fiber that insects produce is called chitin and that is not easily digested a cricket had a 12 percent rate of chitin and a bsfl has 6-7 which is way better to digest just bc chameleons may like them better doesn’t mean they are nesscarly the best and while they are a staple when even gutload and dusted the aren’t better than bsfl"...variety is the answer....feed many different feeders....just like humans eat a wide variety of things...so should chameleons IMHO.
I never said I’m just feeding bsfl and it’s not that crickets are bad it’s just bsfl are better I’m not at all saying crickets are bad they are a good staple I was just saying chameleons can live without crickets

Back
Top Bottom