My 2 week baby panther i think gone blind

AndrewBrian

Hello guys.... Managed to hatch a clutch of eggs... I have one male baby about 2 weeks old very good size for his age and extremely promising pattern and color compared to his other siblings... I've been catching wild fruitflies for them since they hatched by leaving jackfruit skin outside the house.... I bask them in the sun every morning since i live in the philippines... It's extremely difficult to dust fruitflies with repashy calcium plus because they are not flightless so i switched now to pinheads... My concern is that i think he's gone blind... Maybe has vitamin A deficiency. It's been like this for 3 days and im feeling really sad because he's showing so much promise as a baby... Hasnt eaten for 3 days and imnot sure he will make it... He's not extremely weak yet but i really think he is blind since it seems he cant properly see or grab what he wants... Help please.... If there is any chance still to save him but he is too small to force feed nutrients to or meds. Ive uploaded 2 pics of him....

Attachments

• cham1.jpg
    cham1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 174
  • cham2.jpg
    cham2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 167
His eyes look 100% ok to me, just like my babies eyes, he looks very healthy!! Perhaps he eats when you are not looking, babies can be sporadic especially if you are staring at them, some will dart, move slowly away swaying, or even jump if startled, make sure it has a safe hiding place to feel secure, good job!! He's beautiful!!

His eyes look 100% ok to me, just like my babies eyes, he looks very healthy!! Perhaps he eats when you are not looking, babies can be sporadic especially if you are staring at them, some will dart, move slowly away swaying, or even jump if startled, make sure it has a safe hiding place to feel secure, good job!! He's beautiful!!

He is with his other siblings and is very inactive always sleeping unless you probe him.... I've had this case before many years ago that babies start to sleep during the day.... 90% of them with this never recovered and passed... Sometimes id put him on my finger his eyes open and after a while closes again. If you leave him on a specific spot he stays there i'll send another pic now

I think he is blind because when he climbs or tries to go forward more often than not he just reaches out trying randomly to grab a vine in front of him when sometimes there is none in front. He misses a lot and most of the time his eyes are shut unless probed. He hasnt eaten anything in 3 days just drinks

Attachments

• sick cham.jpg
    sick cham.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 116
  • sick cham 2.jpg
    sick cham 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 115
Was his mother healthy? What temperature did you incubate them at?
Did you give the mother any prEformed vitamin A or them?
Are all the others in his cage ok?
How many are in the cage and how big is the cage?

When he's moving forward trying to reach for something that isn't there I'm assuming his eyes are open?

yes his eyes are open.... but most of the time it's closed now. All his other siblings are fine very active and good eaters.... He was one of the biggest of the clutch and by far the most promising baby in terms of early patterns and colorations. His mother was given vitamins once a week and calcium 2x a week in an outdoor enclosure.... i'm sorry i did not check the temperature the eggs are just in my shelf in my room... We live in the Philippines I'd guess without airconditioning the eggs are about 28-32 degrees celsius.... at night or when i am in my room i turn on airconditioning maybe 18 degrees celsius. The eggs hatched exactly 6 months i expected them 1 or 2 months later but they hatched early.... these babies will be 3 weeks old this monday. The thing is when the eggs started hatching i took the container to a non airconditioned room i was afraid ants might attack the babies since the fluids from the egg are sweet and can attract them. I have 5 eggs still unhatched 1 just hatched today 17 days apart from the first eggs that hatched i think the sudden shift in temperature caused this

Your temperatures are warmer than I would like to have seen them for hatching. It might be a part of the problem. Is the container you used very opaque....kept in a dark place?

Was his mother healthy? What temperature did you incubate them at?
Did you give the mother any prEformed vitamin A or them?
Are all the others in his cage ok?
How many are in the cage and how big is the cage?

they are only 5 in a bin... bin is quite big and spacious i made a playground inside for them with plastic vines to perch in

That's fine...5 isn't too many. I just have to ask questions to figure out what's going on...or what isn't part of the problem.

Your temperatures are warmer than I would like to have seen them for hatching. It might be a part of the problem. Is the container you used very opaque....kept in a dark place?

Actually not opaque just the disposable food type container with vermiculite... i didnt know it mattered... but dark most of the time yes since they were incubated in my cabinet... my room does not get too hot since im always back by lunch and turn on the airconditioning again during that time.... since the eggs are in the cabinet that's closed the coolness doesnt just disappear... It's when im out of town though sometimes 4 days to a week no airconditioning entire week.... But he's the only one with probs so sad he was a very good eater for 2 weeks

So sad for sure. There is a mortality rate though with most clutches. You could try putting it in its own cage and feeding it bug juice but I don't know if it will help.
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

Eggs should be incubated in the dark IMHO.
He's still so small so fragile i think he wont last.... he was the best looking in the clutch and the biggest too 3 days ago... i have a baby that just hatched today and 4 eggs still unhatched.... wild interval 17 days from first hatch.... i think it's the sudden temperature change but this new baby looks big and healthy i think it's a boy lo but in 1 pic looks fem

Attachments

• newborn.jpg
    newborn.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 138
  • newborn 2.jpg
    newborn 2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom