Mushrooms growing in my Schefflera?

Sancho

Well I have a Schefflera that is not in either of my chams cage it just sits in the bedroom for when I clean out their cages I put the chams on it (one at a time of course) and today I noticed about 4 mushrooms grow :confused:

be careful you dont want them to eat it as they could start tripping ot and try to eat the crickets crawling all over them XD

Thats happened to mine before I think it may have something to do with the chameleon poop and soil??

Mushrooms are opportunistic little things and spring up where their spores land. You could have gotten them via your soil already having spores in it, or they fell off of the plant, or blew in while the plant was outside. You should take some pictures for us! They should also be removed...many are toxic and it is a risk you shouldn't take. Springtails will eat them and small mushies will often spring up in dart frog enclosures from the pieces of drift/bog wood used.

Mushrooms are opportunistic little things and spring up where their spores land. You could have gotten them via your soil already having spores in it, or they fell off of the plant, or blew in while the plant was outside. You should take some pictures for us! They should also be removed...many are toxic and it is a risk you shouldn't take. Springtails will eat them and small mushies will often spring up in dart frog enclosures from the pieces of drift/bog wood used.

I'll take some pictures when they get a little bigger they are pretty small right now. My chams aren't allowed to use that plant anymore. Looking for a big ficus tree or something for them right now.

be careful you dont want them to eat it as they could start tripping ot and try to eat the crickets crawling all over them XD

LOL

Trippin out, this thread made me spit some of my slurpee out :p

Chad : Pulled that SOB out.. LOL sounded funny to me, and then theres

Latshki : They could start trippin out

ROFL I dunno.. im having a good day, and in a laughing mood :p

I'll take some pictures when they get a little bigger they are pretty small right now. My chams aren't allowed to use that plant anymore. Looking for a big ficus tree or something for them right now.

What about fake ficus? i just picked up a nice fake ficus at walmart for 26.99

SIX FEET TALL!! :)

I bought a sheff from walmart or lowes or something like that a few weeks ago. It is for his outside enclosure/future one, so I haven't even potted it yet. Just water it and let it grow until I need it.

Girlfriend noticed some yellowish mushrooms popping out of the base. I am going to repot it later this week, but, interesting you should post this, as I just found the mushrooms a couple days ago.

If you post pictures, I may be able to identify, or at least tell you whether they're toxic or not. I frequently see mushrooms in some of the dartfrog terraria at the local pet store. Potted plant mushrooms can come from the plant's place of origin, i.e. we see tropical fungi showing up in non-tropical climes if they come in with a tropical plant. The yellow one chambabysitter1 mentioned may fall in to that category; do an image search on Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. That's a fairly common tropical import; can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested, so should probably be removed from cham's habitat, though I've never heard of mushroom poisoning in a chameleon.

If the mushroom has opened, there are probably already spores released, so you may get more in the house after you pull out the one you have growing.

If the mushroom has opened, there are probably already spores released, so you may get more in the house after you pull out the one you have growing.
Possible, but its more likely that you would get additional individuals fruiting from the underground portion that has already colonized the plant pot. Mushroom fungi produce gazillions of spores, but the majority of new mushrooms are clonal and are not coming from spores. Especially as, for most species, two spores of different mating types must both colonize the same substrate and come together to produce a mushroom.

Call Hazmat bra!!!! before your house looks like this!!!:eek::eek::eek:

aliceinwonderland.jpg

Back
Top Bottom