Mulberry Tree growth

Old World

Planted a 3' Morus alba in my yard on May 1st. As you can see, it looks like a bare stick in the ground. It had nice, healthy roots. Bought it on eBay, from a seller who lives just a few miles away.
phpoQp1dqPM.jpg

Just one week later, a few leaves and buds sprouted. And today, 2.5 months later, it's 6' and lush. Time to buy some silkies!
014.jpg

017.jpg

That's great! I was looking into buying a weeping mulberry for my yard and found out Mulberry trees have been outlawed in my county :( But I did find some neighbors and parks I could pull from that had them planted long before the ban on selling and planting took place:rolleyes: But I wish I could have one like that:D nothing like growing your own.

Last edited:
That's great! I was looking into buying a weeping mulberry for my yard and found out Mulberry trees have been outlawed in my county :( But I did find some neighbors and parks I could pull from that had them planted long before the ban on selling and planting took place:rolleyes: But I wish I could have one like that:D nothing like growing your own.

Yeah, many consider them an invasive species. That's unfortuante for you....are you sure you can't plant a mulberry in your own yard? Would anyone rat you out if you did? :D It would be such a hassle to go out and collect leaves everyday! I can't imagine they would stay fresh long enough.
I am looking forward to eating the berries myself, and all the birds it will attract.

All I can say is I wish I had your weather! Mine has hardly grown at all!:mad:

:) Well that is the only thing good about Louisiana weather. Chameleons and mulberry trees love this hot, humid, swampy weather! Myself, I would much prefer cooler weather!!

Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I snack on a few mulberry berries. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Well to be honest, I have never had a mulberry! What does it taste like? Tart like a raspberry? Sweet like strawberries? But I have never met a berry I didn't like, so I am sure I'll eat it up. :)

Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I snack on a few mulberry berries. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

people thinking you are crazy is crazy to me. People eat this in my part of the country all the time and they grow everywhere. We have a couple of big trees and a bushy smaller tree. I feed the lizards berries and leaves every year and we humans eat lots of the berries as well. People make jam and pies from the berries here as well.

We are lucky, we have about 20 huge mulberry trees on our property. Our kids love to eat the mulberries when they are ripe.

Back
Top Bottom