Mulberry leaves!

I had someone send me a document on how to freeze mulberry leaves and it said it is only good for 120 days.
I just did my first run today of leaves and the process. I’ll see how it goes.

See my “process” was pull them off put them in a bag and freeze them. I guess there’s more to it?

See my “process” was pull them off put them in a bag and freeze them. I guess there’s more to it?
That’s what I would have done. It’s actually one extra step. Boil in water at 100 Celsius for 30 seconds, dry, place in freezer bag, get as much air out as possible and freeze. Good for 120 days.
I received some report that was done on different temps, and times and they said this was the best route. If you would like to see this report let me know. It’s saved in my messenger.

That’s what I would have done. It’s actually one extra step. Boil in water at 100 Celsius for 30 seconds, dry, place in freezer bag, get as much air out as possible and freeze. Good for 120 days.
I received some report that was done on different temps, and times and they said this was the best route. If you would like to see this report let me know. It’s saved in my messenger.

Sure I’ll take a look if you don’t mind. I would think boiling them might turn them into like a gooey mess like spinich or something. Try it and let me know what happens.

Not yet. It takes a lot of powder to make the mash. 29 ounces of dried powdered leaves = about 823 grams. That bag of powder in the pic is only about 200 grams.

I have used store bought silkworm mash in the past for silkworms though. But I basically had to fight with them to get it. It’s hard to find around here or you pay crazy shipping.
Well let me know how it goes and I may resume my own project. It's been in the 100's where I live though, so I haven't been able to order any silkworm eggs anyway (I could probably pay for icepacks and overnight shipping and have them arrive alive, but then we're looking at shipping that costs about 3x the price of the eggs themselves, which is somewhat cost limiting).

Well let me know how it goes and I may resume my own project. It's been in the 100's where I live though, so I haven't been able to order any silkworm eggs anyway (I could probably pay for icepacks and overnight shipping and have them arrive alive, but then we're looking at shipping that costs about 3x the price of the eggs themselves, which is somewhat cost limiting).

Ya I found one place to order silkworm eggs here. It was $15 for the eggs and like $40 for shipping. I was like are you crazy? I ordered some from Spain on eBay for like $10 that came in a paper envelope with Barely any padding and they hatched

Very cool. I have a mulberry tree as well that I use for gutload, silks, myself, etc. Very nice tree to have around. Funny, as I've gotten more into the hobby, I have an appreciation for all the random plants and trees around. Constantly looking for something to use.
I was on a walk with my bf today and kept pointing out plants on public lots saying "I'm coming back on my day off and taking a cutting of that" and he kept groaning

Back
Top Bottom