Mt. Merus

Noseyambilobe22

i was just wondering if any body out there has kept Mt merus or has any good info on them... im in the process of setting up my cages for a pair of them and i just want to do everything right on these guys, so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I have a pair that I have had for about a year now. They seem to be doing well. I'm going to try to mate then in the next week or so.

They definitely need to be watered well compared to some of the other chameleons. I keep them about the same way I do my fischers.

I had a female Mt. Meru, and it seemed she did best when she was a bit cooler than even my Xanth, and she was terrified of any food bigger than 2 wk crickets. Lots of fun to keep though, and I agree with Kinyonga. Keep em wet!

I was interested in a pair but its kind of hard for me to keep things cool. I live in an apartment building, soo in the summer is gets hot, i turn on the a.c. Everything is good but in the winter they turn on the heat and i have no control over that. Is there anything you guys do to keep them at the low temps that they need? Is there anything i could use, example: cool mist thing or something.

Merus

hello,

I have found c.jacksonii merumontana to be more tolerant to the heat than most would think. Ive had these guys outside on the hottest days in florida and their heat stress was minimal compared to other species such as c.fuelleborni, or c.werneri. I have kept adult dwarf jacksons year around here and they have done quite well aslong as they can get away from the sun and have enough humidity to keep them hydrated(although the babies cannot take the heat and must be raised in a temperature controled area) I had the rare chance to collect this species in the wild recently while visiting tanzania and while the day started off cool it ended up pretty warm where they were found(and it was winter in tanzania). I would not worry about temperature fluctuation too much but the cooler you can keep them, the better.

Attachments

• cjaxmeru1.JPG
    cjaxmeru1.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 146
Hey Nick,
Have you been trying to breed these guy at all with what comes through? How thick did the humidity actually get in their range? Post some pics from your trip!

-Matt

thanks for the info so far, i like it kinda of cold in my house as it is, and i have a basement that stays pretty cool year round. Good luck with the breeding kinyonga, i hope it all goes well for you:)

Noseyambilobe22...thanks for the wishes! I hope the breeding goes well too! I showed them to each other a few weeks ago and it was "no go".

Mt meru

Matt,

I posted a thread awhile back after the trip in the photo section. We went during the day which is pretty difficult to find chameleons in the day but managed to find a couple of males aswell as several c.rudis in the same area. It was very humid and as you can see from the picture it was quite foggy when we arrived. Also I have not set up a breeding project with this species as of yet although I have had many gravid females drop babies, raised babies and witnessed breeding while they were here.

Check the general photography section for pics, I posted a thread awhile back but just responded to it so you can view it there.

nick...saw your pics in the photography section they looked awesome! and if you dont mind me asking, how do you keep your meru's? Cages, lighting, etc.....thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom