Mr.Pink's not doing well! :(

Tyaeda

Established Member
After showing a little progress with his right eye, Mr.Pink has gone downhill.
His left eye is closed, he still eats everything, but when he's not eating, he's not doing much. I tried to handle him today to get a closer look, and he didn't try and walk away from me... which isn't normal. He showed off some really pissed colours, puffed up, but kept his eyes closed mostly.

I need some help finding a good, chameleon familiar, vet in Southern Ontario Canada. I can't keep paying the guy we saw to keep guessing. I don't know enough about chameleons to start trying to treat him on my own.

The vet said he's got shed in his right eye... now that his other eye is closed, and his behavior is changing (not moving around, going to sleep early), I'm no longer convinced that's the case. I need to figure out what's wrong before I can even begin to start fixing it.

Here's my husbandry form and original eye problem post:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-sudden-eye-problem-115984/

I don't know what to do. :( If my other posts and husbandry form doesn't cover it, please ask!!!!! I need to bounce some ideas, talk about vets, and just do something!!

I went through almost the same senerio with a panther many years ago. I had him in a smaller juvenile cage at the time and my breeder suggested the same thing about the shed in his eye. He told me to put the whole cage in the shower with warmer water and just let it rain on the cage for 10min or so if I remember correctly. This will give him the opportunity to rinse out his eye really good and it seemed to be the only thing that would help with my Cham. With misting alone he won't be able to rinse it properly. IMO you shouldn't try to do things manually yourself at this point (unless he is accustomed to being handled and truly comfortable with you) because in his weakened state the stress isn't good for him. I hope it works out for you and your Cham.

I went through almost the same senerio with a panther many years ago. I had him in a smaller juvenile cage at the time and my breeder suggested the same thing about the shed in his eye. He told me to put the whole cage in the shower with warmer water and just let it rain on the cage for 10min or so if I remember correctly. This will give him the opportunity to rinse out his eye really good and it seemed to be the only thing that would help with my Cham. With misting alone he won't be able to rinse it properly. IMO you shouldn't try to do things manually yourself at this point (unless he is accustomed to being handled and truly comfortable with you) because in his weakened state the stress isn't good for him. I hope it works out for you and your Cham.

I'm pretty sure it's the extra handling I need to do to give him his drops that's stressing him out badly. When I get him wet now, he freaks out and hides! I don't think it's shed at this point, because both eyes are affected now, and the second one didn't close till well after he was done shedding...

I contacted another vet, I'm hoping he knows more about chameleons, and doesn't just try and dismiss me like the last guy did. Maybe now that things are getting worse, they'll look into it a bit more.

I just got back from the pet store. I swapped the coil UVB bulb for a linear tube kind after reading about coil bulbs causing blindness.

Mr. Pink is not feeling well though. Even looks like he's sleeping. Having a hard time feeding him as well....

I contacted a vet nearby who hasn't gotten back to me yet. I don't even know if they have chameleon experience...

I hate it that you are still having problems with Mr Pink!! You are in my thoughts- I am sure you are doing everything you can, keep us posted.

I think I heard about cfl's causing problems as well. I was going to swap it to a linear one when this one goes, which will be in about a month or so. It is every six months to change them correct? I have heard varying things on this as well.

Zoo med and exo terra bulbs last 4-6 months , arcadia a full 12 months.

I hate compact bulbs with a passion! they offer little uv over a very small unnatural area and are known to cause eye problems. In the wild a chameleon would not be restricted to a 6 inch radius under a bulb to receive uv.

The companies said the bulbs had been fixed but again we are seeing eye problems cropping up with new bulbs so it cannot be blamed on old stock. All i use now is arcadia T5 bulbs. they are wonderful and offer uv levels closer to what the chameleons would receive in the wild compared to any compact or T8 linear tube.

I really really wish I knew about the potential eye problems 2 months ago when I first created Mr.Pink's setup. If that bulb is what caused his problems, I'll feel so much more guilty.

He's such a great chameleon! He settled in right away, ate well the whole time I've had him, and even liked to be handled (as long as we brought him outside to bask). I even had him taking strawberries out of my fingers with no hesitation. He's the best Veiled anyone could really ask for, and we take much pride in the care we've provided for him so far (even though my parents think im "crazy for spending so much money on a little lizard") I really hope that he comes out of this ok!!!!

However, right now, things are pretty much at a stand still until I can find the proper vet with the proper care. At this point I'm willing to drive anywhere in Ontario to get my little guy the help he needs. :(

I might be coming to this late, but you seem so worried, wanted to offer any suggestions I could. Have you checked the vet threads to see if anyone has a good vet near you? Ferretinmyshoes is wonderful, sending her a PM might be a good idea, in case she hasn't seen this thread.

I just made an appointment with yet another vet today for tomorrow. The last one didn't care what we had to say, and also gave us crap advice around gutloading. The diagnosis he gave was obviously incorrect.

I heard about one in Guelph ON, and another in Hamilton, who's assistant owns chameleons. I just need a diagnosis. I need someone who will listen to all of the symptoms, and will do more than just violently grab him from my hand, briefly look him over, and charge me $90. He didn't ask much about our husbandry, he just saw that he was shedding and assumed that was what was in his eye. It's not the case at all... there is something going on. I believe it's the start of a sinus or UR infection. Or the bulb we used for UVB caused eye irritation. I feel ripped off, and I'm really upset about the dismissiveness we experienced there... I won't take him back there, nor will I even call them to tell them that things aren't ok.

The new vet is calling them to get the records, so that should be a good indication to them about our dissatisfaction. If they don't know about chameleons, they should refer me to someone who does... and not just take my money and run. If these people aren't willing to look into ****, I'm not paying them a dime. I'm not a door mat, I will not be taken advantage of!

Back
Top Bottom