Moving to bigger feeders?

Jhr226

What is a good time to move to bigger feeders? Right now my veileds are feeding on pinheads and fruit flies. I breed discoids and have small ones and am curious if it would be good to introduce discoids to them, (they are a month and a week old) , or should i wait a bit? and what would be a good age to stop using fruit flies?:D

Hi! Still fairly new, but my baby panthers recently graduated from fruit flies and pinheads so I thought I would chip in. The breeder I got my little guys from said that the insect length should not be bigger than the width of their head. This seems conservative, but I have heard it else where since then as well. Hard to say by age, I have two males, both 3 months old, and one is considerably larger (I got a runt too). But I graduated them to 1 week crickets (for the runt) and two week old crickets for the larger male. Most regular pet stores I notice do not carry many varied sizes, but reptile stores will.

Insect width shouldn't be larger than length between eyes. This was confusing to me as well. Though, for babies, you might want to be a bit more careful. Then again if a breeder sold chams to someone under 3 months without warning of the possible dangers, they probably aren't a very reliable source.

Yeah don't measure length of the bug, champs can eat some pretty long stuff. Go by the withth of the big and make sure it's not wider that the space between your champs eyes. You don't want your cham to choke on the bug. Mines 5 moths old and I started giving it some bigger bugs to see if he could handle it and he's taking them down like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom