Moved in our Jackson's Cham (F) last night.

Poptartjake

Well, as a lot of you have probably seen, I have been debating what Cham I wanted to get for the last week or so. After deciding upon a baby Veiled, the breeder I was going to go through decided to ignore my attempts to get into contact. So, my girlfriend and I decided to just move her female Jackson's into my house from her dads. After a some-what traumatic car ride home (her dad lives off a really bad dirt road :/), we arrived at her new home. She did end up falling asleep by the time we had got into my room, though. When I woke her up she went almost completely dark until I got her into the new cage. It was a pretty eventful night overall since after having her in the cage for a while and feeding her some crix we realized some impractical arrangements and had to remove her again to fix them (she wan't happy at all and ended up falling a few inches from a perch we had setup onto her back on my bed). She has eaten a few crix since we got her home, I think 3-5ish. I do still have some questions though, especially since I did research for a Veiled instead of a Jackson's.

1.) She has been walking in circles for most of the morning on one or two branches/vines mainly and seems a bit wobbly (I assume she is probably a bit dehydrated but I setup a nice dripper over a leaf for her that she seems to like). Should I be worried about this behavior?

2.) We are estimating her at 1 year old, maybe a little bit older. I know that Veiled females need to lay eggs around this time, but I was told Jackson's do live birth? If so, is there anything I need to be aware of that could endanger her health in relation to mating/needing to mate?

3.) I am keeping the top of the tank around 80-85F and the lower parts at 74-78F. Is this okay? Does she need a hotter spot to bask at this age? If so, what kind of bulb (include wattage) should I use?

4.) The humidity is at a constant 50-60% and I mist up to 70-75% at least 2 times a day. I have a humidifier setup currently that is blowing into her tank when it detects the need for more humidity. Is this okay until my MistKing gets here?

5.) Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20130902_180401.jpg
    IMG_20130902_180401.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20130902_161059.jpg
    IMG_20130902_161059.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 122
I don't think the walking in circles is bad behavior really, but maybe she just wants to move around? I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Your humidity is fine, your temps are fine. Females don't really need too high of a basking spot so maybe even lower the 85 to just plain 80 or 78

She looks around a year, and honestly a little fat. I don't know anything about the females and the live birth, or what the conditions need to be, but I know that if she is not mated I doubt the "babies" will be alive, just yolks or whatever.

Okay, I will keep the lower temps in mind and maybe look to remove one of the 2 lights I am using for heat/basking (I have a deep dome combo with a 60w blue light in one side and a Reptisun 5.0 in the other side plus a separate small lamp with a basking bulb).

Should I cut her back to feeding every other day? We got medium sized crix last night because the larges just looked monstrous for her. How many should I offer during a feeding? I do plan to get some worms ASAP for variety and to try hand feeding.

Her overall nature seems pretty calm, but I don't have much to compare it to. I am able to stick my hand in her tank without her changing color, at least for the first few minutes. She usually just distances herself a bit.

Okay, I will keep the lower temps in mind and maybe look to remove one of the 2 lights I am using for heat/basking (I have a deep dome combo with a 60w blue light in one side and a Reptisun 5.0 in the other side plus a separate small lamp with a basking bulb).

Should I cut her back to feeding every other day? We got medium sized crix last night because the larges just looked monstrous for her. How many should I offer during a feeding? I do plan to get some worms ASAP for variety and to try hand feeding.

Her overall nature seems pretty calm, but I don't have much to compare it to. I am able to stick my hand in her tank without her changing color, at least for the first few minutes. She usually just distances herself a bit.

You don't have to remove either of the basking lights, just raise them up or lower the basking branches so that it's not so hot. :p That way she can have two basking spots the right temperature.

As for the feeding, honestly, just feed her however much she will eat within around 2-3 minutes.

You don't have to skip days. If she accepts food every day, just feed her every day. If she still seems interested in food after 5 crickets, feed her 2 more or something.

You just have to get to know the cham.

Ya, as of now I just put 3-5ish crix in there and she seems interested enough but she usually only grabs one or two right away. Since I wont be home for a good 8 hours or so I am hoping she will just graze when she feels the need. I expect the dripper to last 2 hours or so hopefully longer but it is just a standard size water bottle.

Ya, as of now I just put 3-5ish crix in there and she seems interested enough but she usually only grabs one or two right away. Since I wont be home for a good 8 hours or so I am hoping she will just graze when she feels the need. I expect the dripper to last 2 hours or so hopefully longer but it is just a standard size water bottle.

That should be fine for now.

If she eats all of them by the time you get back, just put more in, and if she eats them now you know how much to feed her.

Since jacksons are a tad smaller than other species I understand they might eat less too.

Also, I noticed last night that she was sleeping in an awfully awkward position that had me worried that she might fall. The bottom of her cage is plastic and there are some pretty big dried Grapevines I worry that she might really hurt herself on if she did fall on one.

Came home at lunch today because I was just worried about leaving her alone for her first time. God am I glad that I did....The dripper I had setup ended up flooding the front half of her cage and I found her perched up on one of the highest spots covered in a mix of dark green/black. Is this just her sunning colors? Was she scared of the water?

After I got most of the water cleaned up (and during the clean up) she turned a light green again and moved into some vines to hide a bit. Now, she is back on the same branch with that same dark green/black coat.

Advice? Is this normal for her during the day? I just assume if she is happy/okay she will be her usual light green.

Came home at lunch today because I was just worried about leaving her alone for her first time. God am I glad that I did....The dripper I had setup ended up flooding the front half of her cage and I found her perched up on one of the highest spots covered in a mix of dark green/black. Is this just her sunning colors? Was she scared of the water?

After I got most of the water cleaned up (and during the clean up) she turned a light green again and moved into some vines to hide a bit. Now, she is back on the same branch with that same dark green/black coat.

Advice? Is this normal for her during the day? I just assume if she is happy/okay she will be her usual light green.

She is probably a little stressed out due to the big change in her environment with the water.

My advice is to get some sort of drainage set up so that doesn't happen again, because chameleons can drown if they fall into the water if it's too deep. Not to mention all of the bacteria.

When they sleep or bask usually they do take on some weird positions, so don't worry about that.

If you're worried about her falling on something sharp like the vines (or whatever you said) remove them from the bottom.

In fact I wouldn't have anything at the bottom of the cage for feeders to hide in.

When they bask they DO usually turn a darker shade, but I think maybe it's just because she was scared of the water. I think she should be fine :)

She is probably a little stressed out due to the big change in her environment with the water.

My advice is to get some sort of drainage set up so that doesn't happen again, because chameleons can drown if they fall into the water if it's too deep. Not to mention all of the bacteria.

When they sleep or bask usually they do take on some weird positions, so don't worry about that.

If you're worried about her falling on something sharp like the vines (or whatever you said) remove them from the bottom.

In fact I wouldn't have anything at the bottom of the cage for feeders to hide in.

When they bask they DO usually turn a darker shade, but I think maybe it's just because she was scared of the water. I think she should be fine :)
Thanks for all the help you've given me. The things I am talking about are 2 separate branch/log type things that are the main climbing structures aside from some different vines.

Each wood piece has a main truck part and then some small branches that go off at different angles. I am worried she might fall on some of the branches that are at the bottom of each trunk that provide nice climbing in that area in my opinion at least. I will have to get some better pictures once I get home from class tonight.

Thanks for all the help you've given me. The things I am talking about are 2 separate branch/log type things that are the main climbing structures aside from some different vines.

Each wood piece has a main truck part and then some small branches that go off at different angles. I am worried she might fall on some of the branches that are at the bottom of each trunk that provide nice climbing in that area in my opinion at least. I will have to get some better pictures once I get home from class tonight.

Sounds harmless at this point, but honestly I need pictures to tell what you're saying. You're welcome.

Sounds harmless at this point, but honestly I need pictures to tell what you're saying. You're welcome.

Will get pictures up in about 3 hours. On a side note, does anyone know the average eyesight of a Cham? Like how far they can see, stuff along those lines. I ask because I am sure that my Cham can watch me when I lay in bed and watch tv or play computer 8-10 feet away.

Will get pictures up in about 3 hours. On a side note, does anyone know the average eyesight of a Cham? Like how far they can see, stuff along those lines. I ask because I am sure that my Cham can watch me when I lay in bed and watch tv or play computer 8-10 feet away.

They can see pretty much everything in the room they are in, just so you know. :) So yes, she will be spying on you!

If you could do me a favor and take pictures of the entire cage and the chameleon up closer (if you can) that would be great so I can give more advice.

They can see pretty much everything in the room they are in, just so you know. :) So yes, she will be spying on you!

If you could do me a favor and take pictures of the entire cage and the chameleon up closer (if you can) that would be great so I can give more advice.

Will do, many thanks for the insights.

Okay, just got home so here are some more pictures. She has pretty much been dark since I got in and only when I put my hand in her tank does she go a lighter green, even tho I can tell she is a bit agitated with me. I think she is still a bit dehydrated but it's been at least 60% humidity all day and whenever I mist SHE HATES IT! Advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20130903_194718[1].jpg
    IMG_20130903_194718[1].jpg
    251 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20130903_194735[1].jpg
    IMG_20130903_194735[1].jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 75
Is your cage on it's side?

Try making the cage stand up vertically.

Chameleons like vertical space rather than horizontal :)

Back
Top Bottom