Mouth thing!!!

The basking temp is around 85 and there is a great temperature gradient..... and she opens it and closes it but every now and then she will just sit there with it open.... she eats just fine and I just noticed her doing this in the past few days....

The basking temp seems to be within the range for female on this sites caresheet.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Reptiles generally "gape" in order to regulate their body temperature. Does she move around at all or spend all her time in that spot? What's the humidity at? Also does she have a laying bin available in the cage (couldn't tell here age by the photo)?

It would be the most helpful if you followed this layout on "how to ask for help" that way you don't get a lot of random questions to answer by everyone.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

They will also gape when they have a Respiratory Infection and can not breathe. Not saying this is what is going on but a possibility. Does she have any excess saliva in her mouth that you can see. Any kinds of noises coming from her like a wheezing or popping sound.? can you post a few more pics of her limbs. It might just be the pic but her arm looks slightly curvy.

The humidity in the cage ranges.... I spike it up to 80 percent and let it drop to dry off then I spray it again as I read and was told in a previous thread.... I will post some more picture in a few minutes... Thanks for all of your help.... as I Said earlier she has normal behavior just this gaping was a new thing to me....

Me too!

I just saw my little veiled doing this. Ive never seen him do it before, and he eats fine, drinks regularly and is very active, could this just be a quirk?

I just saw my little veiled doing this. Ive never seen him do it before, and he eats fine, drinks regularly and is very active, could this just be a quirk?

I know its weird... I guess it is just a cooling off thing like dogs when they pant... lol, It just scared me at first because I thought something was wrong...

Hi, if i had to bet money. Your chameleon has mbd. The forearm appears bent and another side affect can be drooping of the mouth. They simply dont have the strength to keep it shut.

I would re-evaluate your lighting (New linear tube) and dusting schedule (Calcium schedule recommended here on the forums).

Treatment: liquid calcium daily and natural sunlight/new UVB bulb.

Good read..https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Hi, if i had to bet money. Your chameleon has mbd. The forearm appears bent and another side affect can be drooping of the mouth. They simply dont have the strength to keep it shut.

I would re-evaluate your lighting (New linear tube) and dusting schedule (Calcium schedule recommended here on the forums).

Treatment: liquid calcium daily and natural sunlight/new UVB bulb.

Good read..https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

John, that is exactly what I was thinking, but then she said the legs looked fine and it was just the pic.. Plus, if the mouth was deformed from MBD, would it not be like that all time? She said the cham holds the mouth openlike that for hours at a time. I have seen chameleons where the mouth is deformed from MBD and does not shut properly. So with MBD sometimes the mouth is shut and sometimes it is not? I was under the impression that it was always like that???

Shes not gravid as shes not yet showing her adult colors.... the picture just looks like her arm is bent but its not it was just the angle of the camera... But thanks for the concern.... I think there is a full body picture in my profile photo.....

Can you post a recent picture? Your avatar is way to small to see anything. We would need more pictures to tell for sure.

Carol, If the mouth is deformed then id imagine the open mouth would be somewhat permanent. If it is from the loss of muscle strength. I think the mouth will open and close. It takes more muscle strength to close then to stay open.

This is a pic from the other day when my cousin brought her cat over and was terrorizing Yemen lol... She was pretty mad....

Im not too sure if this is it or not but I did have her in a 15 gallon glass tank with a screen top... obviously it was too small but that's what pet-co told me to buy.... I just finished the new cage today and it is 4x2x2 ft with screen sides.... she seems to be much happier... sorry I didn't mention this earlier but I was just thinking about it... heres a link to the new cage photos... https://www.chameleonforums.com/finally-finished-any-tips-113152/

I am glad you got her out of the tank. You were wise in getting her the new cage! I think her limbs look fine, maybe just a little skinny on the front legs but no mbd! I checked out your other cage and I have a couple of suggestions....one would be to get it off the ground and on some type of stand. Chameleons live high up and she would feel much more comfortable higher up in the air. Also, I would move that basking bulb up or cut that hibiscus down some. Your chameleon might get too close to the light and get burned.

Back
Top Bottom