mouth problem

camoo

Howdy all. Camoo has what seems to be a sore on or inside of the corner of his mouth. I pulled out with tweezers a clump of goo. Not sure if this is just left over cricket parts or worm parts. Can't really tell but it looks to be inflamed. He eats well behaves as usual. Not to brag but Camoo's enclosure is by far the best I've ever seen. Included in his cage are artificial vines which he sometimes drinks from. Distilled water only. Could this be a issue? Diet is not an issue. Could not ask for a healthier spicimen. This occurred just today out of nowhere. Any idea of the cause or parasite problem. I'm hoping it's a small infection caused by cricket parts. Any suggestions? Thanks. I Don't use Ficus trees, to dangerous. I use Hibiscus trees.

please answer these questions so that people on here can help you better. plus pictures would help your cause greatly

Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

camoo's mouth problem

Cage Type - 24in deep 30in wide 48in high correct material.
Lighting - 2 light fixtures @ 5.0 and a basking lamp
Temperature - 70 -85 day Basking. Night 70
Humidity - day time 60 night 55 maintained by Misting system
Plants - hibiscus and artificial vines.
Location - Low traffic area, ceiling fan dose hit his cage all day and night. he seems to like it.

Chameleon Info:
Male Jackson Chameleon approx 8 months
Feeding small crickets with repcal sups. 3 times weekly he's fed 3 meal worms
Supplements - Applied every day. repcal products (repcal phosphorus free calcium with vd3, herptivite with bata carotene.
Watering - mist system, distilled only 3 times daily for 20 sec.
Fecal Description - No change in droppings.
Current Problem - Mucus on side of mouth removed, but still inflamed. Any over the counter products to try. He seems fine with the exception of this inflamed mouth. Color is peaceful. Any more mucus and will bring him in. It really looks like an infection possibly caused by a cricket. Any help would be great.

It sounds like a temporal gland infection which is common in Jackson's. It needs to be cleaned out properly and the chameleon needs to be put on an antibiotic as determined by a culture and sensitivity test IMHO...
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary/temporal.html
http://www.mythicalchameleons.com/ivanjax.htm

You said..."Supplements - Applied every day. repcal products (repcal phosphorus free calcium with vd3, herptivite with bata carotene"...IMHO you are overdoing the D3 and the herptivite. A phosphorous-free calcium (without D3) powder may be used on the insects at most feedings....but especially with species like Jackson's I would only use the herptivite and the D3 powder twice a month.

Good luck with him!

camoo

Thanks Doc. I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. I'll post a photo as soon as my camera charges. I will take your advice and bring him in. As for the supplements you can never get the proper info from pet stores or even reputable experts. The instructions even state to use every feeding. Do you have a proper site in mind I can use as a guide. This is my third Chameleon and have been doing well until this morning.
Thank you for the prognosis. Sound accurate.

I had a mouth prob with my panther one time and a very reliable souce told me to use terramycin witch worked great on my panther when he was young. This is just my experience and not an dr's opinion. nothing anyone tells u is a replacement to a good herp vet.

said..."Thanks Doc"...if you are referring to me I'm not a vet. I have learned a lot in my over 20 years of keeping/breeding/raising chameleons though. A vet is needed in this case to clean out the area and do a culture and sensitivity test and prescribe antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom